My Half A$$ Studebaker Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Topper2011 View Post
    Between all that junk in the trunk and the cut out trailer support, I've lightened this car but over 150lbs.
    Kind of a shame, you had to cut all that out? It probably did improve your rear wheel traction, and, quite well, counter balance the nose heaviness of the Stude 289". I'm impressed, it Needed doing, and you got it Done! Keep it up.

Mark
    Last edited by S2Deluxe; 07-22-2018, 07:56 PM.
    sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
      I believe that Stephen Allen's will have repro gasoline tank for your car shortly.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe that Stephen Allen's will have repro gasoline tank for your car shortly.
      Thanks Gary, I'm check him out.
      "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

Originally posted by S2Deluxe View Post
        Kind of a shame, you had to cut all that out? I probably did improve your rear wheel traction, and, quite well, counter balance the nose heaviness of the Stude 289". I'm impressed, it Needed doing, and you got it Done! Keep it up.

Mark

Thanks Mark, I'm actually looking forward to putting some new metal in.
        "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

Glad to get all that junk out of the trunk. Anyone want a very heavy manifold of which I do not know what Ford it fits. Free for the cost of shipping and my hernia operation.
          that is a manifold off of a FE series Ford...when I was in the 7th grade, I was at a friends house and her dad was working on a 390 Ford...he referred to the intake as a 'battle ship'...never heard of an intake called a battle ship. I asked why he called it a battle ship...he told me to pick it up, I tried to pick it up off the top of the engine...no way I could even budge it. Her dad leaned over the fender of the car and grunted the manifold off to the side of the engine, and then up and over the fender of the car. "now you know why its called a battle ship" is pretty much all he said. cheers, junior
          sigpic
          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
            that is a manifold off of a FE series Ford...when I was in the 7th grade, I was at a friends house and her dad was working on a 390 Ford...he referred to the intake as a 'battle ship'...never heard of an intake called a battle ship. I asked why he called it a battle ship...he told me to pick it up, I tried to pick it up off the top of the engine...no way I could even budge it. Her dad leaned over the fender of the car and grunted the manifold off to the side of the engine, and then up and over the fender of the car. "now you know why its called a battle ship" is pretty much all he said. cheers, junior

Thanks, it felt like lifting a battleship. Junior, you look to be correct, it's an FE manifold.

I have the same thread going on my motorcycle forum and no one knew what kind of manifold it is except you. Thanks.
            Last edited by Topper2011; 07-28-2018, 07:23 AM.
            "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

I actually decided to do some work on the Studebaker. I dropped the tank off to the radiator shop. Checking the site Rich mentioned didn't show a tank for a Hawk. At least I know my tank will fit back in anyway. Started tracing the melted blue wire and found a couple of collateral damaged wires.

Someone has been doing some splicing. Like a dog, I have squirrel syndrome and looked around under the dash. Lubing the stuck parking brake lever and OD lever.

My front heater, along with the floor heater will make this car quite toasty for the winter.

This was really frozen, as well as everything else. I pulled it into the engine compartment to straighten the cable as much as possible and lube it with my ATF/Acetone mix, filling the housing and working it back and forth. I knew it was free at the transmission and eventually it freed up.
              "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

I also received the carb back from the rebuilder that supposedly ran it on a test engine. Looks pretty good, hope it's all set.

I was really torn of weather to even bother to clean and paint the manifold and decided if I could find some engine paint, I would.

It was probably a mistake, as if I left it as is, no excuses for it being dirty.

I'm undecided on the brakes. At the very least, a dual master. I want to go with 4 wheel disc, but without a booster, it would take extra effort. These drum brakes self energize, multiplying braking force, disc brakes don't. Has anyone gone to 4 wheel disc and happy with them? Is it worth it? Is front disc enough for you? After all, many modern cars still use rear drums.
                "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

As I get distracted easily, I decided to work on getting the filler tube out. The tank is out anyway, but the filler door is frozen in place. Lot's of lube through the opening and through the fender and finally it's open.

Art deco locking cap. I really wanted to save it, but...

No key will fit in there, I have to twist it off and hope to save the filler.

This thing was tough, must have been made with quality parts, not like a lot of stuff made these days.

Glad I didn't bend the door getting this open
                  "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

So glad this car is unmolested, it even still had the tags on the differential.

Would have preferred something more like 3.23's, but...

Way better than the 5.38's the Willys had.
                    "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

So glad this car is unmolested, it even still had the tags on the differential.

Would have preferred something more like 3.23's, but...

Way better than the 5.38's the Willys had.
                      3.73 is the perfect ratio for a V-8 and overdrive. You ARE saving/utilizing the overdrive, right?
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                        3.73 is the perfect ratio for a V-8 and overdrive. You ARE saving/utilizing the overdrive, right?

Oh, absolutely. I really wanted this setup and very happy I have this car, warts and all.
                        "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

I like the looks of the jeep wheels.

Comment

Can someone help me with measuring the length of their throttle rod. Since I received the carb back, the throttle no longer seems to reach. I've pulled up the gas pedal as high as I can get it and the throttle rod no longer seems to reach the carb correctly. Seems to be short by about 2". Weird. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Maybe a picture would help. Thanks.

Last edited by Topper2011; 07-31-2018, 05:42 PM.
                            "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

Good news though...
                              40lbs oil pressure!
                              "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I contacted them and yes, they are on the way. Good thing, since the radiator guy told me the tank is swiss cheese. Thanks for the tip.
                                "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

Working...
                                X