My Half A$$ Studebaker Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
    Think about temporarily using expansion plugs until you are ready to remove the engine

Whoops, just picked up a set from Studebakers West.

Comment

Dude, we must keep in contact. I am getting ready to tear down my 62 GT Hawk; though my car is at a better starting point.
      See post; Retired-and-ready-to-work-new-project.
      Also, love to own that 4 barrel intake in the picture of the stude trunk.
      Dell
      59 Silver Hawk
      62 GT Hawk

Comment

What is the TT on the gas flap?
        In the first post photos
        Dell
        59 Silver Hawk
        62 GT Hawk

Comment

That indicates "Twin Traction", Studebaker's name for a limited slip differential.
          Also indicated by that "45B" tag on the diff. shown on the pic in post #69.

Comment

Originally posted by wdsj View Post
            Dude, we must keep in contact. I am getting ready to tear down my 62 GT Hawk; though my car is at a better starting point.
            See post; Retired-and-ready-to-work-new-project.
            Also, love to own that 4 barrel intake in the picture of the stude trunk.

I will check it out. That manifold weighs a lot. I'd hate to even try to ship it out and my local UPS guy will start to deliver me broken things after that.

Comment

Well, I didn't count the teeth on the new ring gear, so there's a delay in getting the clutch done. Good thing the clutch rebuilder caught it and took it off the flywheel so I can bring it to the vendor for replacement.

I'm short by about 30 teeth. Oops.

Comment

You can just flip the ring gear so that the bendix is engaging unworn teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
                  You can just flip the ring gear so that the bendix is engaging unworn teeth.
                  Yep, the clutch rebuilder and I talked about it, but there is a section that is half eaten away. Since I only want to do it once, I figure a new one would last the next 56 years, long past me.

Comment

This morning, my wife and I went to Niles for the "Hot August Niles Show" which is famous for Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton and other silent movies.

http://www.niles.org/about/http://www.niles.org/about/

http://nilesfilmmuseum.org

Comment

• Of course, there were Studebakers.

There was something for everyone.

Comment

• Some, for more, eclectic tastes.

Comment

• Roland,
                          Here I am sitting in the British Columbia wilderness, perusing your forum post and what do I spy? Near the end of your car show pics in Niles, CA I spot the Willys Wagon that I helped put together and modify with a friend from Arizona(where I spend my winters). I had heard he had sold it (too bad the guy didn't buy the period correct teardrop trailer that went with it) and it had gone to California. We used to display it in car shows with the color matching & polished aluminum teardrop trailer and it was always a big hit. It's been said before... what a small world.
                          Bill

Comment

• Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                            Roland,
                            Here I am sitting in the British Columbia wilderness, perusing your forum post and what do I spy? Near the end of your car show pics in Niles, CA I spot the Willys Wagon that I helped put together and modify with a friend from Arizona(where I spend my winters). I had heard he had sold it (too bad the guy didn't buy the period correct teardrop trailer that went with it) and it had gone to California. We used to display it in car shows with the color matching & polished aluminum teardrop trailer and it was always a big hit. It's been said before... what a small world.
                            Bill

Bill, it really is a small world. If you have spare time or the want, check out my thread on Advrider, the motorcycle forum I'm on. Plenty of Willys there. Including my Half A$$ Willys build.

https://advrider.com/index.php?threa...ll-day.603464/

Comment

• Time to fix the throttle issue of the short throttle rod.

A little drilling and tapping...

And it works to where it trips the overdrive switch properly.

I also cleaned and painted the crossmember.

Comment

• That 64ish Ford is so 'wrong' that it's so cool. Typically I'm not a Ford fan, but this car and the black one that is featured in the latest edition of HOTROD magazine are exceptions!

I always wonder why Studebaker never put two bumps in those crossmembers for dual exhaust systems...the system on my car there was no room to route the driver's side pipe on top of the crossmember so it had to go under...doesn't look good to me. I think I read somewhere that some of the sedans had crossmembers with two bumps. cheers, junior
                                sigpic
                                1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Working...
                                X