Clear All

• Topper2011
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Topper2011
    replied
    This was posted on my thread in my motorcycle forum
    Chickasha Fall Swap Meet

Last edited by Topper2011; 10-19-2019, 05:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Topper2011
    replied
    The exhaust heat valve didn't even remotely seem like it was opening. At the risk of having cold running problems or the choke not coming off soon enough, I took it out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PA120835.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	1806396

I put some MAPP gas heat on it to test it.

Name:	PA120836.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	1806397

It does work, just didn't seem to be on my car.

Name:	PA120837.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	1806398

I put in a spacer I had from the wrong header pipes.

Name:	PA120838.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	1806399

Exhaust is very even now and with our mild winters, it shouldn't be a problem.

Leave a comment:

• Topper2011
    replied
    Worked on getting this aftermarket ignition switch mounted instead of flopping around having to use two hands to start the car.

Name:	image_72433.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1806389

Using the motorcycle front sprocket lock washer, I modified the teeth enough to get the ignition switch held in place.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PA120834.JPG Views:	0 Size:	69.9 KB ID:	1806390

The teeth are bent so they grip the back of the fiberglass dash opening to keep the switch from spinning.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PA120832.JPG Views:	0 Size:	82.2 KB ID:	1806392

I think I need to flatten the washer a bit more as the locking nut sticks out too far, not flush. For now, I can work with it so I can drive the car out before I set it and my garage on fire from it shorting out on something.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs K Corbin
    replied
    yeah, I'm thinking that R2 would have a JT in the serial#

Leave a comment:

• Topper2011
    replied
    Originally posted by skyway View Post
    Looking GOOD; and your 3 point turn kinda reminds me of that Ferrari footage from a couple of weeks ago!
    With the camera, manual steering, no driver's door, three speed and two cars that are never there, I was busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest!

Leave a comment:

• Topper2011
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
    Over the past few days I have perused this thread. In documenting your work on your Stude, you are also documenting a high mechanical aptitude, admirable energy and sticktuitiveness, and a knack for adapting and overcoming adversity through, "Yankee ingenuity". In leaving no stone unturned on your car, looks like there isn't much you will not tackle and figure a way to fix. Keep up the good work, and I am sure you will be on the road someday soon. You will also know your car, inside and out. Should a problem ever occur on the road, in your mind you will probably already have it diagnosed before even getting pulled over. Meanwhile, you are building a strong advertisement, should you ever decide to go into the Studebaker mechanical repair business. Many Stude owners need mechanical repair service, and have no where to go. I believe anyone who lives a reasonable distance from you, would be happy to have you work on their Stude.

Despite the above, obviously you are a very busy guy, and have no time to work on others' Studes. I am just saying, if you ever decided to open a Stude repair facility, this thread could be your best advertisement.
    Thank you Joe, but I definitely not experienced enough to work on anyone's Studebaker, let alone mine. Wait until you see me attempt bodywork.

Leave a comment:

• Topper2011
    replied
    Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
    I see a Dual Point Dizzy!
    so I sent back and checked. You've got a Twin Traction setup as well.....

What's your engine serial#?
    You sure you're not sitting on a Super Hawk? R2, etc.?
    Maybe I missed it in the discussion. it's only 28 pages now.

Name:	PA100834.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	1806152

I don't believe it's an R2, iirc I have the build sheet and don't remember seeing that option.

Leave a comment:

• skyway
    replied
    Looking GOOD; and your 3 point turn kinda reminds me of that Ferrari footage from a couple of weeks ago!

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    Over the past few days I have perused this thread. In documenting your work on your Stude, you are also documenting a high mechanical aptitude, admirable energy and sticktuitiveness, and a knack for adapting and overcoming adversity through, "Yankee ingenuity". In leaving no stone unturned on your car, looks like there isn't much you will not tackle and figure a way to fix. Keep up the good work, and I am sure you will be on the road someday soon. You will also know your car, inside and out. Should a problem ever occur on the road, in your mind you will probably already have it diagnosed before even getting pulled over. Meanwhile, you are building a strong advertisement, should you ever decide to go into the Studebaker mechanical repair business. Many Stude owners need mechanical repair service, and have no where to go. I believe anyone who lives a reasonable distance from you, would be happy to have you work on their Stude.

Despite the above, obviously you are a very busy guy, and have no time to work on others' Studes. I am just saying, if you ever decided to open a Stude repair facility, this thread could be your best advertisement.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs K Corbin
    replied
    I see a Dual Point Dizzy!
    so I sent back and checked. You've got a Twin Traction setup as well.....

What's your engine serial#?
    You sure you're not sitting on a Super Hawk? R2, etc.?
    Maybe I missed it in the discussion. it's only 28 pages now.

Leave a comment:

• Topper2011
    replied
    Well, I decided to replace the points and condenser since the engine wasn't running smoothly and the idle was stuck around 1200 rpms.

Name:	PA090833.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1806034

Well lookee here! I filed the points and added a dab of die-electric grease to the cam. Adjusted them to 0.22 and checked the timing and it was way advanced. I brought it to approximately 10 degrees. Engine smoothed out fairly well and I was able to drop the engine speed down to 760 rpms. Exhaust pipe on the left was strong and exhaust was hot. Left side seemed weak and cooler. The heater valve doesn't seem to be opening and manually opening resulted in the exhaust was naturally stronger. I think I will be pulling out the heat riser and put in a spacer.

Leave a comment:

• Topper2011
    replied
    Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
    I had a bent push rod like that from valve float (I think). Hope that is your only problem.
    Amen to that.

Leave a comment:

• 70Avanti2
    replied
    I had a bent push rod like that from valve float (I think). Hope that is your only problem.

Leave a comment:

• Topper2011
    replied
    The replacement ignition switch has been bugging me in it's fit.

Name:	PA060840.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1805620

It spins when you turn the key. Seems it needs a woodruff key to fit in the slot and a flat spot to hold it in place.

Name:	PA060841.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	1805621

This is the old Willys switch and it fits pretty well in the Hawk, unfortunately it's bad.

Name:	PA060843.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1805622

Looks like this pin needs to be removed in order to see what's wrong with the switch. I'm sure it's just worn out. I also can't find the key to it anyway.

Name:	PA060837.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	1805623

I may use this old motorcycle lock washer and use the tabs to lock in the new switch, no harm or cost in trying.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X