Studes in Roadside Americana photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by aarrggh View Post
    Interesting duplicity in this photo: Studebakers, Ford trucks (including a fairly rare crew-cab), Volkswagens.
    Last edited by kurtruk; 01-01-2014, 06:47 PM.
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

• #2356/2357 are taken in front of Archie Myer's Studebaker dealership (to the left just out of the photo) on VT 15 (East Allen Street) in Winooski, VT. The dealership and entire block on the left was torn down as a part of urban renewal in the early 1970's. The large brick building down the road on the right, the "Winooski Block", still exists today (see link: http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/W...nooski_Vermont ).

Archie moved his Studebaker inventory to another location just a few blocks away and continued to service Studebakers and other makes until his death in 2002.

I have yet to find a photograph of the dealership.
      Dan Peterson
      Montpelier, VT
      1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
      1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

• Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

• Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser

Comment

• Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser

Comment

• Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser

Comment

• I love the Surfside picture so much that I'm going to get it blown up to hang in my garage so when I take a break I can sit back and enjoy. I'm only 50 but life seemed so much more enjoyable back then.

Comment

• Comment

• Well, Andrew; we know what might have happened to that two-tone 1956 in Post #2364!

To wit: Several years ago, I helped Nelson Bove extract an entombed 1961 Flamingo Hawk and two-tone blue 1956 Commander sedan (the one in 2364?) from an old property in Carmel, Indiana that was to be sold.

Nels wanted the Flamingo '61 because it was a factory 4-speed, but they wouldn't let him buy the Hawk unless he took the Commander with it!
                    So we showed up with two trucks and two trailers and hauled 'em away :

It was a fun day. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• Originally posted by BobPalma View Post

It was a fun day.
                      Looks like it could use some GAS LID springs, and a GAS LID to go with them!!

Did it have a battery hold-down at least?

Craig

Comment

• Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                        Looks like it could use some GAS LID springs, and a GAS LID to go with them!!

Did it have a battery hold-down at least?

Craig
                        Well, IF it had a battery hold-down, Craig, the hold-down might have pulled the battery down through what remained of the rusted-out battery tray, as I remember!

That's my trailer it's going onto, with Nels operating the portable winch.

Nels wasn't sure he wanted to stop winching for a photo op; one tire was going down so fast after inflation-on-location that we had to work fast. It was flat when we got to Nels' storage building, so we had to inflate it again to get the car back off the trailer!

We didn't realize one door had either no or a bad (I forget which) striker plate, so the first time I went around a corner on the way out of the neighborhood, the door flung wide open...quite a sight to see in your rear-view mirror when trailering. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• Regrettable how some of us treated these cars 30 or 40 years ago when they were so plentiful. In the mid-'70s I bought a Glenbrook-Seaside Commander like the one in #2364. It was wrecked in the left front, but it was only a 'fender bender'. I only wanted the V8 and Flight-O to put in my '49 pickup.
                          This car had the optional all vinyl interior (green pleated) and power windows (front only). NOW I wish I would have saved that car!
                          D 'N Q RACE ENGINES

Comment

• Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                            Romans 15:13
                            Deuteronomy 31:6
                            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                              Romans 15:13
                              Deuteronomy 31:6
                              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post

Just yesterday I looked at a model kit of that thing at our local Discount Drug Mart. I can't think of what it was called but I remembered it as a kit of the '60's as well.
                                Bill Pressler
                                Kent, OH
                                (formerly Greenville, PA)
                                Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                                Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                                1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                                1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                                All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
                                X