Studes in Roadside Americana photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
    Regrettable how some of us treated these cars 30 or 40 years ago when they were so plentiful. In the mid-'70s I bought a Glenbrook-Seaside Commander like the one in #2364. It was wrecked in the left front, but it was only a 'fender bender'. I only wanted the V8 and Flight-O to put in my '49 pickup.
    This car had the optional all vinyl interior (green pleated) and power windows (front only). NOW I wish I would have saved that car!
    Good News, Dwain!

That '56 Commander DeLuxe sedan is still tucked away inside Nelson Bove's big storage building east of Cincinnati, nice and dry on good concrete. He would be delighted to sell it to you just as it arrived...and would likely make you one
    helluva' deal.
    BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
      Ted Harbit knew that fellow "Dinsmore" on the door of that C-body, Bob, but I am uncertain of the connection.

Perhaps Ted will chime in and fill the blanks, but I have heard him mention "Dinsmore" on more than one occasion. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
        Just yesterday I looked at a model kit of that thing at our local Discount Drug Mart.

I can't think of what it was called but I remembered it as a kit of the '60's as well.
        Munster Koach, built by George Barris for the TV show "The Munsters."

Barris also 'built' the TV show Batmobile. It was originally a 1955 Lincoln 'Dream Car' called the Futura.

Barris removed the plexiglass roof, added a bunch of gizmo's and repainted it.
        Last edited by WinM1895; 01-06-2014, 03:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          Well, Andrew; we know what might have happened to that two-tone 1956 in Post #2364!
          BP
          It looks to me like what may have happened is that someone repainted it.
          But when they did so- they got the colors flipped from what it was.

But I doubt those are the same car...

StudeDave '57
          StudeDave '57
          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
          SDC Member since 1985

past President
          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
          San Diego Chapter SDC
          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

• Wishful thinking --- camping and converts with the top down

Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

• Since we're into a little drag raacing.....

Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                Just yesterday I looked at a model kit of that thing at our local Discount Drug Mart. I can't think of what it was called but I remembered it as a kit of the '60's as well.
                That's the "Boothill Express" and Monogram made the kit.
                Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

• Some history on that Williams Lark here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...=williams+drag

Craig

Comment

• Comment

Ted Harbit knew that fellow "Dinsmore" on the door of that C-body, Bob, but I am uncertain of the connection.

Perhaps Ted will chime in and fill the blanks, but I have heard him mention "Dinsmore" on more than one occasion. BP

That is the "Croc-A-Gator" of Bob Dwyer's isn't it ? He of the "Wild Hare " etc . The Hardy on the door would be
                      Dempsey Hardy , who later drove an NHRA Pro Stock car .
                      Bill H
                      Daytona Beach
                      SDC member since 1970
                      Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Comment

Well, Andrew; we know what might have happened to that two-tone 1956 in Post #2364!

To wit: Several years ago, I helped Nelson Bove extract an entombed 1961 Flamingo Hawk and two-tone blue 1956 Commander sedan (the one in 2364?) from an old property in Carmel, Indiana that was to be sold.

Nels wanted the Flamingo '61 because it was a factory 4-speed, but they wouldn't let him buy the Hawk unless he took the Commander with it!
                        So we showed up with two trucks and two trailers and hauled 'em away :

It was a fun day. BP
                        But why does Nes look so happy about loading a car that he didn't even want to buy?<G>
                        Jerry Forrester
                        Forrester's Chrome
                        Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

• Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                          But why does Nels look so happy about loading a car that he didn't even want to buy?<G>
                          You've certainly heard the old used-car dealer expression, "Whatever it takes to make a deal," haven't you, Jerry?

Well, Nel's has wanted a Flamingo 1961 4-speed Hawk for many years...and the Hawk did look a little better than the Commander! BP

Comment

• When I saw 3 Studes in a row in post 2357,I figured it must be in front of a sales lot or dealership.
                            NEIL G.

Comment

• Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                              Romans 15:13
                              Deuteronomy 31:6
                              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• Bicycle registration in Lafayette, Indiana in 1954. What a police car!

(Found on Shorpy)

Joe Roberts
                                '61 R1 Champ
                                '65 Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                                X