Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• firestoper 25
    replied
    Winter ferry schedule to Mackinac Island from either upper or lower side of Michigan starts 1 Nov 2021 runs every day , weather permitting, except X-Mas.
    My brother in law works on the island building / maintaining those gazilloin dollar houses. Tuff job somebody has to do it. No boat they fly him across, the plane is not his favorite .
    If my foggy memory is working it was early Nov. when the bridge service started and for a while you could still get some very limited boat service. My wife's grandfather was a high iron steel worker....gave him a very good income for the duration

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by firestoper 25 View Post
    Oh yes......sometimes the wait for the ferry would be 3-4 hours. Before the bridge was built between the upper and lower peninsula that wait was normal, it was a REAL frozen pain in the winter. Yes, the boats ran year round and the crossing could be very rough and windswept! I wonder if folks under 60 would even have an idea of what it was like?
    Not likely, as the Mackinac Bridge was opened in 1957.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• firestoper 25
    replied
    Oh yes......sometimes the wait for the ferry would be 3-4 hours. Before the bridge was built between the upper and lower peninsula that wait was normal, it was a REAL frozen pain in the winter. Yes, the boats ran year round and the crossing could be very rough and windswept! I wonder if folks under 60 would even have an idea of what it was like? Looking back at it from my rather current 'creaky' condition not only can I enjoy it BUT consider myself darn lucky for the experience . As my dad had navy boat steam and city steam power plant history we would dive down to the engine room for the trip . Man you could NOT be allowed to do that today........ What a shame. Thanks for the memories guys .

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    This is the UP Michigan, 1950
    Click image for larger version

Name:	B1047A7E-57F9-4883-AA45-E7ECB025EFDD.jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1927933

Leave a comment:

• studeski
    replied
    At 2:44 M16 truck, at 7:12 '36? Dictator? Cpe

Leave a comment:

• Topper2011
    replied
    Gone down the YouTube rabbit hole. Actually, these are pretty good videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZub2tAk69s&t=241s

At 4:33, a 48(?) Commander/Champion driving away. I'm sure sharp eyed folks can spot more.

Leave a comment:

• skyway
    replied
    Oh I dunno, just something in a light tan/beige please.

Leave a comment:

• Studedude
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	271731527_2375219939285492_5533454195265576444_n.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	1927572

Leave a comment:

• skyway
    replied
    Dunno but am guessing my eyes must be at least as bad as yours

Leave a comment:

• Commander Eddie
    replied
    I have studied that photo carefully and am not seeing the things you describe, Skyway. Maybe it's my old eyes.

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Originally posted by firestoper 25 View Post
    Brown spot......that is where they put their shoe while they write out your ticket....
    Jan 2 2022 Bob P photo, is that a two ton Stude box truck in the intersection or just wishful thinking?
    I don't think so, if you mean the one entering the intersection with the guy in the middle of the street blocking our view of the front of the cab. BP

Leave a comment:

• firestoper 25
    replied
    Brown spot......that is where they put their shoe while they write out your ticket....
    Jan 2 2022 Bob P photo, is that a two ton Stude box truck in the intersection or just wishful thinking?

Leave a comment:

• Noxnabaker
    replied
    Maby the non existing car is a side car to the bike?

Leave a comment:

• skyway
    replied
    Dunno about those “tan” patches on the bumpers, but there seems to be something odd going on between the 2nd & 3rd cars. Officer in white shirt looks to have his right leg bent at the knee or otherwise obscured, and the officer in the jacket has his left leg obscured by the headlight of a non-existent car?

Leave a comment:

• Noxnabaker
    replied
    Strange to see, is that a brown (rust?) bumper corner on a police car..?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X