Studes in Roadside Americana photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That time Fozzie bear tried to become a race car driver

Click image for larger version  Name:	7CF2161C-6296-4E0E-9E97-DD8CA27EE192.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	25.5 KB ID:	1930091
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
      Legend has it that when wrestler Haystacks Calhoun sat his 600 pounds down in the Studebaker, the upper a arm mounts all cracked, and the frame bent at the bat wing. Later it was discovered that when they tried to move the car, both rear axles were also broken, leading to the flanged axle conversion kits.

Click image for larger version

Name:	81722760-E2FF-4333-AF41-50E98E2F6C04.jpeg
Views:	356
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	1930073
      My dear friend and fellow enthusiast Bob, are we really expected to believe anything so ridiculous? That would imply that the car could not withstand having two 300-pound people embark on the same side of the car without sustaining that much damage...and the axles would break if the car was operated with three 200-pound people in it.

Besides, I've never heard of any "flanged axle conversion kits" in the 1950s.

This needs to be filed in the "using Ford 289 engines" file...the circular one... BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• Originally posted by BobPalma View Post

My dear friend and fellow enthusiast Bob, are we really expected to believe anything so ridiculous?
        Of course. It has to be true, otherwise it would not have been allowed on the Internet
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          My dear friend and fellow enthusiast Bob, are we really expected to believe anything so ridiculous? That would imply that the car could not withstand having two 300-pound people embark on the same side of the car without sustaining that much damage...and the axles would break if the car was operated with three 200-pound people in it.
          I stopped making up stories like that at the age of five!! I already knew at that age no one would believe something so ridiculously silly as that!

I've had five of us in my Datsun 310, with a combined weight of over 600 pounds. Sure, the little 1150 cc engine groaned a bit under acceleration, but nothing ever broke.

Craig

Comment

• I took this picture inside of a pastry shop.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Millbrae In the 50's.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.6 KB ID:	1930642

And this one outside of it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Millbrae 2022.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.4 KB ID:	1930643

I may be off 1 block. They were having Chinese New Year Celebration and the grand stand was on the other block, blocking the view.
            "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

• From the Sunday, February 6, 2022 Old Motor.

1937? Studebaker right below the word "and?"

Although this photo is undated, the 1963 wheel covers suggest it is newer than the 1950s. 'Looks doggone good for being at least 6 or 7 years old; must be a dry climate!

Neat car! BP

Last edited by BobPalma; 02-06-2022, 03:06 AM.
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• [QUOTE=BobPalma;n1930699]

Sure looks like a '39 Ford to me.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Champ51;n1930739]
                  Originally posted by BobPalma View Post

Sure looks like a '39 Ford to me.
                  Agreed, Champ; I meant the small word and on the front of the lot, between the words NEW and USED. BP

Comment

• [QUOTE=BobPalma;n1930740]
                    Originally posted by Champ51 View Post

Agreed, Champ; I meant the small word and on the front of the lot, between the words NEW and USED. BP
                    Also bisected by the utility pole. Yes, looks like '37 Stude.
                    KURTRUK
                    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	273157422_3124310601157753_7337170781329238905_n.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	1930818
                      sigpic
                      Dave Lester

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	273157422_3124310601157753_7337170781329238905_n.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	1930820
                        sigpic
                        Dave Lester

Comment

• You're stuttering Dave.
                          Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

• I wonderd about the european car behind until I saw the italian plate...

Comment

• Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                              You're stuttering Dave.

I clicked once on upload attachments, selected the pic and size, and wound up with three posts of the same pic. Managed to get rid of one of them, but the system would not cooperate in getting rid of the other extra.

I apologize for stuttering!
                              sigpic
                              Dave Lester

Comment

• It could be that the system is so honored to get your posts that it duplicates them.
                                Dick Steinkamp
                                Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                                X