No announcement yet.

Studes in Roadside Americana photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ocean Center in Long Beach California in the 50s. Talk about fitting the stereotype! Look at how bright the Fords and Chevys are, and how they contrast with the dowdy olive drab Studebaker
    Click image for larger version

Name:	C8D670BD-C531-492F-829F-321D062466AA.jpeg
Views:	231
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	1929393
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
      Ocean Center in Long Beach California in the 50s. Talk about fitting the stereotype! Look at how bright the Fords and Chevys are, and how they contrast with the dowdy olive drab Studebaker
      One has to take the year of the late 40's Studebaker in consideration compared to the '55 & '56 GM & Ford products in the photo. Studebaker offered colors similar to what GM and Ford were offering by then.

Craig

Comment

• I wholeheartedly agree Craig. My '48 Starlight is black, subdued but classy. Whereas my '57 Clipper really "pops" with the two tone vibrant copper and contrasting white.

Comment

• It sure does pop! The Arizona sunlight must really make it dazzle in person.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

• Yes Roy.
            This was early on with the reassembly.
            It looks better now it is close to being actually finished.
            Bill

Comment

• This photo is from 1951, in West Virginia. Brand new Studebaker wading through the flooding.

Name:	E2CE2BAC-8F04-4CE1-8580-C2902D5AF338.jpeg
Views:	211
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	1929518
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

• Claremont NH

Name:	A2B07CDB-3A75-447D-AAF1-672CED3C77DD.jpeg
Views:	187
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	1929627
                Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

• From The Old Motor, late January 2022:

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• Rarest car in the photo might be that '51 Ford Crestliner.

Craig

Comment

• I don't know, what is the little light blue convertible on the far right bottom? I'm guessing by the Plymouth in the foreground and the above mentioned Crestliner it must be 1950 or 1951 ? It sure is a wide mix of auto years in the photo, a lot of old iron still on the road.

Comment

• 11798 What is the grey convertible at extreme right? I like it, despite the dented fenders.
                        Bill Jarvis

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	0EBC5978-734F-457C-BECC-CEC1DA86AC65.jpeg
Views:	226
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	1929914
                          Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

• Legend has it that when wrestler Haystacks Calhoun sat his 600 pounds down in the Studebaker, the upper a arm mounts all cracked, and the frame bent at the bat wing. Later it was discovered that when they tried to move the car, both rear axles were also broken, leading to the flanged axle conversion kits.

Name:	81722760-E2FF-4333-AF41-50E98E2F6C04.jpeg
Views:	342
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	1930073
                            Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

• About 11802, it looks like Stude. was REALLY Slipping in that Town between 1951 and 1959.
                              Assuming that ONE Stude. is a '50, there are lots of '51 to '58 Brand X's, and I see One '59 a "Starlight" Impala.
                              Maybe it was Late 1958, but NO Studes. !
                              There IS a "Studebaker" 190 SL though.

Probably NOT Calif.
                              Last edited by StudeRich; 01-31-2022, 07:54 PM.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

• I believe the small convertible at lower right in #11798 is a circa 1948 Hillman Minx
                                D 'N Q RACE ENGINES

Comment

Working...
                                X