No announcement yet.

Studes in Roadside Americana photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It could also be caused by a load of equipment in the trunk weighing the rear down.

Comment

• From the Sunday, December 12 Old Motor:

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• That is pretty impressive Lincoln-Mercury dealership - two big half-round display areas.

Comment

• Originally posted by 62champ View Post
          That is pretty impressive Lincoln-Mercury dealership - two big half-round display areas.
          Take a closer look, Patrick; the place in the background is Midtown Motors, the Ford Dealership, whereas the half-round closer to the camera is Central Lincoln-Mercury.

('Probably owned by the same people, though.) BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• Isn't the far half-round for the Midtown Ford and the near half-round for the Central Lincoln-Mercury dealership? I know in the mid 60's when I worked at a Michigan Ford dealer the L / M site was a totally separate dealership all though they were next door to each other. In the 70's business was so slow that they combined. And we all know how the Mercury line ended up. Great photo of the post war auto times.

Comment

• Originally posted by firestoper 25 View Post
              Isn't the far half-round for the Midtown Ford and the near half-round for the Central Lincoln-Mercury dealership? I know in the mid 60's when I worked at a Michigan Ford dealer the L / M site was a totally separate dealership all though they were next door to each other.
              In Edmonton, the downtown Ford and Mercury-Lincoln dealers were on opposite ends of the block on Jasper Avenue until the mid-seventies, with Healy Motors on the northwest corner at 106 Street, and Waterloo Mercury-Lincoln on the northeast corner at 107 Street. Both dealerships had different owners.

Craig

Comment

• Brattleboro, VT

Click image for larger version

Name:	StudeVR.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	1924108
                Dan Peterson
                Montpelier, VT
                1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

• Portland, Oregon 1953

Name:	D726D564-B458-4F22-BC39-1B2094FAAF72.jpeg
Views:	311
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	1924118

Comment

• Spotted on the road in Fall River, MA, Dec. 19, 2021. I think the car had R.I. license plates; I was only a couple of miles from the RI line. Boy, was I surprised to see another Studebaker just cruising down the road. I'm not sure if it was a '64 or '65 model, did have dual exhausts, sounded good as it took off. I was standing in the Advanced Auto Parts parking lot, had just been in the store to get some little parts for my 1963 Wagonaire restoration project.

Name:	1965 Studebaker-Fall River_MA.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	1924854
                    Gary Ash
                    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                    '48 M5
                    '65 Wagonaire Commander
                    '63 Wagonaire Standard
                    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

• No info on this. What a great era for cars though.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	22E832F7-94E4-4406-B14A-45577E043EE6.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	109.4 KB ID:	1924993
                      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                      Romans 15:13
                      Deuteronomy 31:6
                      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• Is that a Roll's or a Bentley?

Comment

• What year is the newest cars? 65, 66?
                          The yellow Ford truck is a 56, I think. The 8th car in front of the Rolls/Bentley is a 53/54 Mercury or Lincoln. That’s the oldest I see. Which would agree with the culture of the times. My dad traded cars every couple of years back then.

Comment

• Originally posted by garyash View Post
                            Spotted on the road in Fall River, MA, Dec. 19, 2021. I think the car had R.I. license plates; I was only a couple of miles from the RI line. Boy, was I surprised to see another Studebaker just cruising down the road. I'm not sure if it was a '64 or '65 model, did have dual exhausts, sounded good as it took off. I was standing in the Advanced Auto Parts parking lot, had just been in the store to get some little parts for my 1963 Wagonaire restoration project.

Name:	1965 Studebaker-Fall River_MA.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	1924854
                            Either a trim-neutered 1965 or 1964 Commander 2-door or a 1964 Challenger 2-door, Gary. I'd almost bet on a Challenger. BP

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	269892861_1761051807426545_2599615709645709709_n.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	1925307
                              sigpic
                              Dave Lester

Comment

• Originally posted by Studedude View Post

Name:	269892861_1761051807426545_2599615709645709709_n.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	1925307
                                Interesting photo; I've seen it before. Does anyone know the location?

Of course, that's JFK on the top boot, possibly during a campaign appearance during the 1960 U. S. Presidential election cycle.

Related amusement: Several years ago, I was on the dais in The Studebaker National Museum's auditorium for a talk/discussion of the last days of Studebaker in South Bend. During the Q&A period after the three of us had presented, someone directed a question to me, asking how President Kennedy had responded to the announcement that Studebaker would quit building cars in South Bend; had he [Kennedy] done anything about it.

I had to gently remind the questioner that President Kennedy had been assassinated about three weeks before Studebaker made the announcement! BP

Comment

Working...
                                X