No announcement yet.

Studes in Roadside Americana photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What an incredible sight that flying wing must have been.

What a time and place to live. Wow!
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

• Thanks for posting that Bob, that's a Great Pic and even has a '61 Lark.

What is really confusing me though is, about the Newest Cars are 1965.
      I worked at Northrop in Hawthorne where the YB-49 and and other Flying Wings were built. The Jet Powered version YB-49 first flew in 1948 and by sometime in the Mid 1950's they were all cut up and scrapped due to Political issues with greedy Politicians, Labor Unions and Competitors.

The Northrop Stealth Bomber B-2 Spirit, with the exact same Wingspan had it's First Flight July 17, 1989.

It must have been Photo Shopped or something because they could not have been looking at a Flying Wing.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 02-10-2020, 10:50 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

• That’s interesting, Rich, very observant. I didn’t even notice that thin line which you tell me is apparently an aircraft. I just thought the drivers were all out trying to see what the traffic jam was about LOL.
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          What is really confusing me though is, about the Newest Cars are 1965.
          I worked at Northrop in Hawthorne where the YB-49 and and other Flying Wings were built. The Jet Powered version YB-49 first flew in 1948 and by sometime in the Mid 1950's they were all cut up and scrapped due to Political issues with greedy Politicians, Labor Unions and Competitors.

The Northrop Stealth Bomber B-2 Spirit, with the exact same Wingspan had it's First Flight July 17, 1989.

It must have been Photo Shopped or something because they could not have been looking at a Flying Wing.
          Hi Rich- your post interested me enough that I went and looked up the YB-49. Usually not my type of thing, but what a fascinating story! And as you say, it appears that it was stopped due to political reasons. It also led me to read about Jack Northrop, whose company built it. It was very interesting to hear what he had to say in his later years, and particularly interesting that they brought him back to the company as a very elderly man to see the plans for the B2. Thank you for sending me down that path!

All that said though, getting back to the photo, I’m not so sure that that line is anything other than a crease or tear, or maybe a cut in the photo. You say that the vehicles do not line up with the time frame, which is true. Plus, nobody in the picture appears to be looking up at the sky.

I guess, it remains a mystery.
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

• In the next few days, this thread will pass 1,000,000 views. Thanks, Bob Andrews, for starting a topic of universal interest.
            Gary Ash
            Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
            ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
            '48 M5
            '65 Wagonaire Commander
            '63 Wagonaire Standard
            web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post

Hi Rich- your post interested me enough that I went and looked up the YB-49.

All that said though, getting back to the photo, I’m not so sure that that line is anything other than a crease or tear, or maybe a cut in the photo. You say that the vehicles do not line up with the time frame, which is true. Plus, nobody in the picture appears to be looking up at the sky.

I guess, it remains a mystery.
              It looks like a tear in the paper to me too. The people are looking all around and not at the sky.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_74792.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1820730
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

• The 'Flying Wing' appeared in an early '50s Sci-Fi movie; don't remember the name.

Comment

• Holy cow, I just noticed, this thread has now had over ONE MILLION views! When I started this thread in October 2011 I thought it would be popular but I never expected it to last this long. I know that no other thread on this forum has even come anywhere close to being as popular as this one. It’s a neat feeling to be the one who started it. Here’s hoping it continues on. It really is a great subject: Studebakers in their natural element, in their own era.

Thanks to everyone who has participated. I hope you have enjoyed this thread at least as much as I have, if not more.
                  Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                    The 'Flying Wing' appeared in an early '50s Sci-Fi movie; don't remember the name.
                    War of the Worlds, 1953 version. It drops an atomic bomb, which has no effect, as it bounces off the Martians force field.
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

• A big "Thank You" Bob Andrews as this is one post I never fail to examine.
                      Cheers,
                      Bill
                      PS: What will be your next revelation?

Comment

• Roadside:
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	-54 sedan.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	1820893
                        sigpic

Josephine
                        Champion V8
                        4d sedan

Comment

• Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                          A big "Thank You" Bob Andrews as this is one post I never fail to examine.
                          Cheers,
                          Bill
                          PS: What will be your next revelation?
                          Oh I have them all the time. I generally post them on Facebook where they are a little better received
                          Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

• From the February 16, 2020, Old Motor:

and

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• Denton, Texas. Looks to be University of North Texas (North Texas State College at the time photo taken) main building in background some time in 1956. Traces of Texas Facebook page.

Last edited by 62champ; 02-18-2020, 01:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                                Denton, Texas. Looks to be University of North Texas (North Texas State College at the time photo taken) main building in background some time in 1956. Traces of Texas Facebook page.

Pay no attention to the '56 Bel Air across the street ;-)
                                Last edited by 62champ; 02-18-2020, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X