Replace rusty hawk floorpans need your experienced help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Replace rusty hawk floorpans need your experienced help

I am about to start to start cutting the rusted floorboards out of my 58 Hawk both sides from toe board to under back seat.Have purchased Classic enterpises stamped Driver and passenger panels from toe board to under seat LF and RT sides and foot pans.. has anyone out there done this,could you share your experience ,and ''hind site'' if you were going to do this again..what prep needs to be done if any before I start cutting..Thanks

It's reasonably straight forward but just a couple of thoughts. I assume the body is still on the frame so be sure to brace the door posts in position if you are cutting the floor pans near them.

Secondly, when you get the old floor out, be sure to look for rusty braces etc. Replace if necessary.

BTDT, and certainly WELCOME!!!! to the forum, glad you are aboard.

Bob

Comment

I noticed there are a bunch of videos over on YouTube if you search using "Floor pan replacement." However...you have to sort through the ones with the blasting rap music and the ones done by people who clearly don't know what they are doing.

Comment

"Measure 5 times, cut once & re-measure before welding." is the best advice I have. Bob is right about keeping things square and in place during the entire proceedure!

Comment

I'm going to do this in the near future on my M15-20, please keep us updated ...
          1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
          See rescue progress here on this blog:
          http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

Comment

Here's a pic of my 57' Golden Hawk being raised from the dead!
            Attached Files
            sigpic He's got the "car"...now if I can only get the Matchboxes back!

Comment

I posted these pix from when I did the floors on my '53 back in the mid 90s a while back but here they are again. Tack weld angle irons to keep the door posts from moving before you start cutting.

In my case, my frame was rotted out too and I had to repair it at the same time as the body so it was quite a concern not to allow anything to move.

Hopefully you are not having that problem!

Jeff in ND

Comment

Your lucky,
                My Frame was rotted into the ground and my GH was snapping in half like a pencil.

I guess the roof & glass held it together until we replaced the floors & frame.

Comment

Originally posted by Supercharged57 View Post
                  Here's a pic of my 57' Golden Hawk being raised from the dead!
                  Is the replacement floor pan in your picture from Classic Enterprises? And how would you rate the product and the fit?
                  Brian
                  Brian Woods
                  woodysrods@shaw.ca
                  1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
                    Is the replacement floor pan in your picture from Classic Enterprises? And how would you rate the product and the fit?
                    Brian
                    Brian,
                    Yes the floors and every other sheetmetal part we replaced so far is from Classic.

I rate the product high and fit was great.

The only thing I did not like was shipping.... was not done in a timely manner.
                    Jeff
                    Last edited by Supercharged57; 01-02-2011, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Thanks I 'll try to take a look at it..

Comment

I will tryto keep younin the loop..

Comment

Hawkman,
                          Please consider posting photos of your floor project. I hope to be undertaking a similar endeavor on my 62 Hawk this fall and would appreciate the Stude insight.
                          Also, either Hotrod or CarCraft did a recent article on floor replacement. Granted, it was on a Duster but the same concepts would apply. SHould be on their website.

Best of luck,
                          Brian
                          sigpic 62 Hawk - Wisconsin barn find

Comment

Dear Santa..I will take and post photos of my floor pan project for you..I have the Hot Rod article for a reference , I get the magazine called Auto Restorer it has great info on everything for the Car Restorer. I am using his multiple colored page step by step article on,removing and replacing purchased new replacement floorboards for a California Special late 60 or early 70's Mustang.The guys name is Larry Lytle and he has a few CD's out on a total restoration of a 60 Charger called ""Project Charger" he even explains how to set up your welder for spot welds and lots of other important stuff. He is a professional restorer,and explains things to you in terms that you can understand.Thats why Im glad I kept that issue.Nice looking Hawk Brain, but you know that I'm partial to them like you,but I like them with fins.. Thanks Mike..

Comment

For gosh sakes PLEASE post pictures, tips, mistakes, anything at all. My 62 Hawk is going to need all the same and I am saving my milk money for a good welder and parts. What a great resource this forum is!

Comment

Working...
                              X