This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by avantilover

Interesting Nash poster, though I note the soldiers are both white. Somewhat ironic that 10 years after the war that Nash suggested would create an America where all were free, Rosa Parks was ordered to give up her seat to a white man in Alabama, and later that state set the dogs onto Martin Luther King and his supporters, whilst also doing their best to resist freedom for the black Americans.

So much for freedom.

I recall reading Dr Robert Schuller relating the story of a Black man who felt he was just a poor "n....." and Dr Schuller pointed out that, in fact, he was just the opposite, despite the abominable ways the white people treated them, black America survived and prospered (at least some of them).

John Clements
    Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
    Lockleys South Australia
    Please keep me posted on the Australian Holidays. I may wish to take the opportunity to comment on the history and ways of your country.

20 years US Navy
    Lark Parker

sigpic
    Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by avantilover

Interesting Nash poster, though I note the soldiers are both white. Somewhat ironic that 10 years after the war that Nash suggested would create an America where all were free, Rosa Parks was ordered to give up her seat to a white man in Alabama, and later that state set the dogs onto Martin Luther King and his supporters, whilst also doing their best to resist freedom for the black Americans.

So much for freedom.

I recall reading Dr Robert Schuller relating the story of a Black man who felt he was just a poor "n....." and Dr Schuller pointed out that, in fact, he was just the opposite, despite the abominable ways the white people treated them, black America survived and prospered (at least some of them).

John Clements
      Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
      Lockleys South Australia
      Please keep me posted on the Australian Holidays. I may wish to take the opportunity to comment on the history and ways of your country.

20 years US Navy
      Lark Parker

sigpic
      Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Whether we're dancing on the end of some deity's puppet strings or twitching on our own - I voluntarily joined the US armed services - stuck my hand up when volunteers were called for to go where they were tossin' real munitions about. I did my job to repulse the advance of communisim and as an unfathomable irony, my country now BORROWS from a Communist nation to finance another war. All in all, I'm proud to be a vet.

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Whether we're dancing on the end of some deity's puppet strings or twitching on our own - I voluntarily joined the US armed services - stuck my hand up when volunteers were called for to go where they were tossin' real munitions about. I did my job to repulse the advance of communisim and as an unfathomable irony, my country now BORROWS from a Communist nation to finance another war. All in all, I'm proud to be a vet.

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Threads like this can get out of hand pretty quick, but that does not diminish the essential thought:

Thanks to all Veterans this day -and every day- for your service to The United States of America.

(Yes, I called my 90-year-old-father, an Army Air Corps Veteran of WWII, to convey thanks in person.) BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Threads like this can get out of hand pretty quick, but that does not diminish the essential thought:

Thanks to all Veterans this day -and every day- for your service to The United States of America.

(Yes, I called my 90-year-old-father, an Army Air Corps Veteran of WWII, to convey thanks in person.) BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

DLG 9 ? Isn't that one of those new fangled ships that shoots them missile things ? I served on CE-148, a 8 inch gun cruiser "Rolling Thunder" off Vietnam in 1967-68. I bailed out of the Navy as a CPO after 12 years because they would not let me take my Studebaker's with me to Spain.

JDP/Maryland
                63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                spent to date $54,758.75
                64 R2 GT (Sid)
                spent to date $62,439.30
                63 Lark 2 door
                52 Starliner
                51 Commander
                39 Coupe express
                39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

DLG 9 ? Isn't that one of those new fangled ships that shoots them missile things ? I served on CE-148, a 8 inch gun cruiser "Rolling Thunder" off Vietnam in 1967-68. I bailed out of the Navy as a CPO after 12 years because they would not let me take my Studebaker's with me to Spain.

JDP/Maryland
                  63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                  spent to date $54,758.75
                  64 R2 GT (Sid)
                  spent to date $62,439.30
                  63 Lark 2 door
                  52 Starliner
                  51 Commander
                  39 Coupe express
                  39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

JDP/Maryland
                    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                    spent to date $54,758.75
                    64 R2 GT (Sid)
                    spent to date $62,439.30
                    63 Lark 2 door
                    52 Starliner
                    51 Commander
                    39 Coupe express
                    39 Coupe express (rod)

Your right on target John. One of those Guided Missle throwers that launched Terrior missles, radar guided, with also a compliment of ASROC (Anti Submarine Rocket launchers with 8 of those beasts on the forcastle) DLG stands for Destroyer Leader Guided Missle Frigate. She was the flag ship for the Commador of Destroyer Squadron 17. That might be one of the reasons we had good chow on the ole Girl.

~ Don ~

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

JDP/Maryland
                      63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                      spent to date $54,758.75
                      64 R2 GT (Sid)
                      spent to date $62,439.30
                      63 Lark 2 door
                      52 Starliner
                      51 Commander
                      39 Coupe express
                      39 Coupe express (rod)

Your right on target John. One of those Guided Missle throwers that launched Terrior missles, radar guided, with also a compliment of ASROC (Anti Submarine Rocket launchers with 8 of those beasts on the forcastle) DLG stands for Destroyer Leader Guided Missle Frigate. She was the flag ship for the Commador of Destroyer Squadron 17. That might be one of the reasons we had good chow on the ole Girl.

~ Don ~

Comment

Let me add my "thanks" to the veterans. As a 26 yr civil employee of the Department of Defense, every day I work in support of the Warfighter - and every day I work WITH veterans.

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175
                        53-54 C/Ks, 55 Speedsters, 63 Daytonas, Wagonaires Registries
                        http://www.teamwetworks.com/stregs/

Comment

Let me add my "thanks" to the veterans. As a 26 yr civil employee of the Department of Defense, every day I work in support of the Warfighter - and every day I work WITH veterans.

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175
                          53-54 C/Ks, 55 Speedsters, 63 Daytonas, Wagonaires Registries
                          http://www.teamwetworks.com/stregs/

Comment

I would like to add my sincere thank you to ALL of the people that have served our great country..past, present, and future.

Some Stude pic's don't convey the feeling very well, but the respect is very much heartfelt.
                            To be able to sleep comfortably at night and play cars during the day is a testament to the sacrifice and efforts of those who have served our country so well....
                            Jeff[8D]

[/b][/navy]
                            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I would like to add my sincere thank you to ALL of the people that have served our great country..past, present, and future.

Some Stude pic's don't convey the feeling very well, but the respect is very much heartfelt.
                              To be able to sleep comfortably at night and play cars during the day is a testament to the sacrifice and efforts of those who have served our country so well....
                              Jeff[8D]

[/b][/navy]
                              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Funny story about my time off Nam on that cruiser. We all thought, "war is hell", spent a lot of time whining about being away from home and at sea. Well, one day, we brought a bunch of in country Marines on board for some min R @ R. The Marines enjoyed the air conditioning, hot showers and meals, and a movie or two. It made for a bit of attitude adjustment for us, made are time away from home pale in comparison. Of course, the "baby killer" chants from the cute hippie girls was a downer when we returned. "Hate the war, not the warrior", a lesson I hope we learned.

JDP/Maryland
                                63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                                spent to date $54,758.75
                                64 R2 GT (Sid)
                                spent to date $62,439.30
                                63 Lark 2 door
                                52 Starliner
                                51 Commander
                                39 Coupe express
                                39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment