X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BShaw
    replied
    As a final word on this thread I wish to add my own expression of gratitude to all veterans, active personnel here and abroad, and their families for their service. THANK YOU!

Our North Star Chapter doesn't have a specific Veterans Day event (November in Minnesota = brrr), but for the past 33 years we have been proud and honored to host our annual Memorial Day Car Show where owners of all makes of cars and trucks gather to pay their respects to those no longer with us and all veterans. This last Memorial Day nearly 300 vehicles joined our cadre of Studebakers on the show field... bound by a common love for cars and respect for our vets.

B Shaw
    USAF, 63-66

SDC webmaster, www.studebakerdriversclub.com
    Chapter webmaster, www.northstarwheel.com

I've now closed this thread.

Leave a comment:

• BShaw
    replied
    As a final word on this thread I wish to add my own expression of gratitude to all veterans, active personnel here and abroad, and their families for their service. THANK YOU!

Our North Star Chapter doesn't have a specific Veterans Day event (November in Minnesota = brrr), but for the past 33 years we have been proud and honored to host our annual Memorial Day Car Show where owners of all makes of cars and trucks gather to pay their respects to those no longer with us and all veterans. This last Memorial Day nearly 300 vehicles joined our cadre of Studebakers on the show field... bound by a common love for cars and respect for our vets.

B Shaw
    USAF, 63-66

SDC webmaster, www.studebakerdriversclub.com
    Chapter webmaster, www.northstarwheel.com

I've now closed this thread.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Thanks to all for the great pix and fine tributes to our veterans. On Sunday, I had all of the veterans at my church stand for recognition, and it was about half of the adult men. We would have had a few more, but they were deployed to Iraq & Afghanistan. As I said on Sun., we are free only because some of our best young people are willing to sacrifice the best years of their lives to live in often awful conditions away from friends, sweet hearts, & family to do a tough job for low pay while risking life & limb. Freedom is never free, but the price of freedom is eternal vigilance. America will only remain the land of the free as long as she is the home of the brave. If only our so-called leaders had been as faithful in their duty to this nation as our servicemen have been, our torch of freedom would be burning brightly instead of flickering today.

Barry'd in Studes

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Thanks to all for the great pix and fine tributes to our veterans. On Sunday, I had all of the veterans at my church stand for recognition, and it was about half of the adult men. We would have had a few more, but they were deployed to Iraq & Afghanistan. As I said on Sun., we are free only because some of our best young people are willing to sacrifice the best years of their lives to live in often awful conditions away from friends, sweet hearts, & family to do a tough job for low pay while risking life & limb. Freedom is never free, but the price of freedom is eternal vigilance. America will only remain the land of the free as long as she is the home of the brave. If only our so-called leaders had been as faithful in their duty to this nation as our servicemen have been, our torch of freedom would be burning brightly instead of flickering today.

Barry'd in Studes

Leave a comment:

• Gary1953
    replied
    I want to add my sincere THANK YOU to all my fellow Vets. At yesterdays chapter meeting I asked for all Veterans to stand and have the chapter show their appreciation. Well more than half the men stood. I was very proud of the chapter. I also brought along for display several WW II ads and the B 17 print that Studebaker sold for 10 cents in 1943 with the original mailing tube with the 6 cents stamp on it. Of cource when I bought the poster on eBay the price for it and postage had gone up considerably
    Once again THANK YOU all that have served and are serving now.

Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO
    President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.

Leave a comment:

• Gary1953
    replied
    I want to add my sincere THANK YOU to all my fellow Vets. At yesterdays chapter meeting I asked for all Veterans to stand and have the chapter show their appreciation. Well more than half the men stood. I was very proud of the chapter. I also brought along for display several WW II ads and the B 17 print that Studebaker sold for 10 cents in 1943 with the original mailing tube with the 6 cents stamp on it. Of cource when I bought the poster on eBay the price for it and postage had gone up considerably
    Once again THANK YOU all that have served and are serving now.

Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO
    President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.

Leave a comment:

• Dwain G.
    replied
    Can't claim to be a war veteran, but I did fullfill my military obligation as it was called at the time. Tried to join the Coast Guard but my eyesight wasn't good enough. They gave me to the Navy. A year later I'm actually steering a ship across the Pacific.
    In 1967 I thought about reenlisting, called a recruiter and said I wanted to be on an ocean going tug. A week or so later he called me back and said he couldn't do that, but he had found out I tried to get in the CB's the first time I joined. Come on down, I'll get you in the CB's and give you a crow too! I thought that sounded pretty good until I went to the pub frequented by corpsmen from the nearby Naval hospital. They all laughed at me. I said "What?" They said "You dumb so-and-so, don't you know where all the CB's are right now?". (1967, remember)
    That was the end of any reenlistment thoughts!

Dwain G.

Leave a comment:

• Dwain G.
    replied
    Can't claim to be a war veteran, but I did fullfill my military obligation as it was called at the time. Tried to join the Coast Guard but my eyesight wasn't good enough. They gave me to the Navy. A year later I'm actually steering a ship across the Pacific.
    In 1967 I thought about reenlisting, called a recruiter and said I wanted to be on an ocean going tug. A week or so later he called me back and said he couldn't do that, but he had found out I tried to get in the CB's the first time I joined. Come on down, I'll get you in the CB's and give you a crow too! I thought that sounded pretty good until I went to the pub frequented by corpsmen from the nearby Naval hospital. They all laughed at me. I said "What?" They said "You dumb so-and-so, don't you know where all the CB's are right now?". (1967, remember)
    That was the end of any reenlistment thoughts!

Dwain G.

Leave a comment:

• jnewkirk77
    replied
    I know everyone on here has expressed these feelings quite well, but I feel compelled to add my own.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to all who have so bravely served our country. I have a cousin and a dear friend who are serving in Iraq right now, and I pray daily for their safety and the safety of all who are "just doing their job" (that's how my cousin puts it) to ensure that we are safe and free.

Both of my grandfathers served during World War II, one in Europe and the other in the Pacific. I've been so blessed to have heard the stories of what they had to endure, because it gives me a greater appreciation for the freedoms I might otherwise take for granted.

God bless ALL of you, our brave and noble veterans, on this day and all days! May we never forget your sacrifices!!!

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

Currently driving an '87 Ford F-150, but I dream of having a Hawk one day. Don't we all?

Leave a comment:

• jnewkirk77
    replied
    I know everyone on here has expressed these feelings quite well, but I feel compelled to add my own.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to all who have so bravely served our country. I have a cousin and a dear friend who are serving in Iraq right now, and I pray daily for their safety and the safety of all who are "just doing their job" (that's how my cousin puts it) to ensure that we are safe and free.

Both of my grandfathers served during World War II, one in Europe and the other in the Pacific. I've been so blessed to have heard the stories of what they had to endure, because it gives me a greater appreciation for the freedoms I might otherwise take for granted.

God bless ALL of you, our brave and noble veterans, on this day and all days! May we never forget your sacrifices!!!

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

Currently driving an '87 Ford F-150, but I dream of having a Hawk one day. Don't we all?

Leave a comment:

• Bredehoft
    replied
    Honestly, I had nothing to do with it - I was just honored to attend

--george

Leave a comment:

• Bredehoft
    replied
    Honestly, I had nothing to do with it - I was just honored to attend

--george

Leave a comment:

• Avantidon
    replied
    George it is people like you who really make a difference in this world. Thanks for making the day for this long forgotten veteran.

See you in the future as I write about our past

Leave a comment:

• Avantidon
    replied
    George it is people like you who really make a difference in this world. Thanks for making the day for this long forgotten veteran.

See you in the future as I write about our past

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Thanks to all vets for defeating those tyrants who would have spread their tyranny if not for the US servicemen. Before I get too upset about those soldiers in the Nash ads being white(as were the majority of US soldiers), I will try to remember that they were fighting in Europe alongside brown, black, & Jewish soldiers to defeat Hitler's all-white Wehrmacht, while other US soldiers were fighting in the Pacific so Australians could decide for themselves how they would integrate their aboriginees into their population. JC demonstrates why we need to keep things ON-TOPIC here. This is a forum for Studebaker discussion, not America-bashing. When China gets ready to flex her muscles, Aussies will not be asking about the racial make up of our military any more than they did in the 40's!

Barry'd in Studes

Leave a comment:

Working...
X