Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WinM1895 View Post
    1952 Studebaker grille was called the "tater digger."
    I've heard it called a "two-row corn picker" lots of times. First I've ever heard a '52 being called a 'tater digger'.

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 06-21-2018, 10:41 AM.

Comment

• I guess maybe the digging blades on some small potato diggers could be somewhat reminiscent of the ornaments inside a '52 grill opening.
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

• '47-'49 Stude sedan rear in upper right at 1:26. Nice video:

BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• [QUOTE=WinM1895;1115181
          1938 Graham grille was called the "shark nose." The car was so ugly, that Graham sales, already reeling from the Depression, dropped to almost nothing.
          [/QUOTE]

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder..." and here is no different. I find the "shark nose Grahams" among the most exciting designs of the pre-war era. But I'm not looking at it with 1930's eyes, either. It's another example of Loewy's theory that the public is only willing to accept incremental design change, nothing too drastic.
          Mike Davis
          1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

• Originally posted by StudeNewby View Post
            "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder..." and here is no different. I find the "shark nose Grahams" among the most exciting designs of the pre-war era. But I'm not looking at it with 1930's eyes, either. It's another example of Loewy's theory that the public is only willing to accept incremental design change, nothing too drastic.
            Graham made some great looking cars. Just as not all Studebakers are bullet nose, certainly not all Grahams are shark nose. I have met folks who have no clue of Studebaker's long history of vehicle production, and certainly not trucks, horse-drawn, or hardly any concept of a Studebaker except for the iconic bullet nose versions. My problem with Graham (as with other makes), is when all the emphasis is placed on the front & grille areas and the rest of the vehicle's design is left as a rather "HO HUM" afterthought. Certain years of Grahams and Cords suffered from such artistic disconnect, especially the sedans.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

• Guys, one of our older friends back in the 80's saw us at a car show somewhere that I can't remember, and came over to us waving so we would not help but be able to see him. He said, "Johnny, I have found the ugliest car in the world and have been searching for one I could afford for years, come on, I want you to see it !".... Yep, a 4 door shark-nosed Graham was what he led us over to. When we got there, he said "isn't it beautiful?".... We laughed and told him we would reserve comments, and he told us that he had never seen anything so beautiful that was that ugly, ha ! ( he was unable to get the owner to sell it ) One of our pals here in Hawaii has a 38 Willys that is a very close contender for the ...uh...title though. Since he has a hopped up Mazda rotary in it, it is quite a handful. ( been in his family with various engines since the 40's, and the fenders are cut open from when his dad used to hill-climb with it in competition ) STUDEBAKER CONTENT; He said that his Dad had early Studebakers as the family car too.

Clark, if this violates the page rules, kindly remove it for me. jb
              Attached Files

Comment

• The abbreviated front, and cut out rear, fenders on that Willys are not correct are they?

OOPS sorry, just caught the part about hill climbs!

Comment

• Vinton, VA, January 1985Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	1721175Click image for larger version

Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	1721176Click image for larger version

Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	1721177Click image for larger version

ID:	1721177Click image for larger version

ID:	1721177On another thread there was a question about whether an Avanti that was being discussed came from Roanoke, VA. I dug through my old photos and found these pictures. This poor car sat there for years.

Tom

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1165.JPG
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1721202
                    From FB, MOTOROLOGY-How Things Were

Comment

• That's my fav Studebaker pic of all times, used to google "Studebaker gasser" & use it for my computer.
                      Seeing it makes me feel superyoung again!

Comment

• JC Pennys 1983, Bremerton WA
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	At Pennys.jpg
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	1721206 Click image for larger version

Name:	At Pennys2.jpg
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	1721207

Comment

• Rush hour 1942.

Name:	42 Bridge.jpg
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	1721208

Comment

• Originally posted by fatboylust View Post
                            JC Pennys 1983, Bremerton WA
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]73485[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]73486[/ATTACH]
                            The car was 32 years old then. I wouldn't mind having that 1951 Commander Starlight coupe.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

• Originally posted by fatboylust View Post
                              JC Pennys 1983, Bremerton WA
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]73485[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]73486[/ATTACH]
                              Must've came from my area-Yakima, since Yakima County plates began with "E".

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1167.JPG
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	1721232
                                Found on FB

Name:	IMG_1168.JPG
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	1721233
                                I know it's a Packard but this was during the courtship era so close enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X