No announcement yet.

r2 pulleys for charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

everyday I play with this engine and everyday I find, something just so wrong, The repo R3 box flapper hole has so much casting flash on it the flap could never seal. I sanded it down sooth. question is does the flapper stay open at idle or does it close as soon as its started. The flapper was over a 1/4 away as well and never really closed.
    1 Family owned 63 Studebaker Avanti 63r-1705 White with Orange interior , R2 4 speed.
    Just purchased 63r-3623 R2 was a auto now dressed to a R3 with a4speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Endl98 View Post
      The repo R3 box flapper hole has so much casting flash on it the flap could never seal.
      In your post #24, didn't you say there was no boost?. The flapper on R2/R3 is actually only supposed to open when the engine is off, to allow fuel vapors to escape. Under idle, there is still enough pressure to keep it closed.
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

yes I did say it has low or no boost, This car has been sitting for at least 4 years and possibly 4 more for a total of 8, when satdoc2 purchased it. even with a vac/pressure gauge on its maybe a 1 or 2 psi now. but it seems as everyday I start it and let it run, its a little better everyday, I have cleaned out the carb, changed the fuel soaked oil, checked lots of stuff. what we cannot understand is that even with flat tops and the 535976 heads , being 58cc, I should have a 11.5 to 1 compression ratio, but my comp is 130 psi on all 8. so we have heavily opened chambers or a cam installed wrong .
        The flapper valve was fluttering when you revved it up. it would flutter a bit you could feel a small amount of air and it would flutter, now it stay closed when you start it.
        1 Family owned 63 Studebaker Avanti 63r-1705 White with Orange interior , R2 4 speed.

Comment

Used to be aluminum "hipo" aftermarket pulleys available (from Lionel Stone, etc.) ... but, I sold my last set a couple years ago. Sorry. Maybe someone is still selling them. But, if not a decent machine shop could look at your stock and make whatever size you want to try. I went that route once myself. Best of luck.

Comment

What does your air cleaner look like--photo please with any intake hoses and hose into blower.

Comment

http://www.studebaker-info.org/AVDB1...3623x0112.html

here is a few pics from the ebay add and posts when Allen French owned it, this is where I started to get some info from.

Comment

Seeing the intake side of the blower having a hose disappear into the apron, makes me think--have you tried running the car with that hose disconnected from the blower? To get any real boost from the blower, there needs to be easy airflow into it. It doesn't work very well on the "vacuum" side, might try removing it from the blower, putting a temp screen over it and giving it a try. Or you may want to trace the hose all the way to the inlet, may have gotten an unwanted inhabitant while stored.

Comment

yes I pulled the filter out and , there is actually 2 smaller filters jammed together, dirty but not clogged, what I did discover today is that the throttle linkage is so poorly assembled that on full throttle in the car the secondaries never open. so much for trusting factory linkage. it appears the rods are either bent or a mish mash of other cars. with the air box flapper closed, the choke properly set, the secondary weighted air horn set correctly it is starting to make more power, I have to really figure out how this linkage is supposed to be. there is not enough room on the pedal to move the rod one way or the other. if I try to extend it the gas pedal start to lean to the back of the car. if I shorten it, it only depresses like 1\4 inch. it seems that the blower is working. i am finding out that boost comes in rather slowly on these cars as the rpm increases. so the possible 1 to 2 psi I believe i am seeing may be accurate , once the secondaries are fully open , I am sure it will make more boost.

I have to thank everyone that has PM'd me or replied so far, especially 11secavanti he has been a real help on the phone.

Comment

Originally posted by Endl98 View Post
                    yes I pulled the filter out and , there is actually 2 smaller filters jammed together, dirty but not clogged, what I did discover today is that the throttle linkage is so poorly assembled that on full throttle in the car the secondaries never open. so much for trusting factory linkage. it appears the rods are either bent or a mish mash of other cars. with the air box flapper closed, the choke properly set, the secondary weighted air horn set correctly it is starting to make more power, I have to really figure out how this linkage is supposed to be. there is not enough room on the pedal to move the rod one way or the other. if I try to extend it the gas pedal start to lean to the back of the car. if I shorten it, it only depresses like 1\4 inch. it seems that the blower is working. i am finding out that boost comes in rather slowly on these cars as the rpm increases. so the possible 1 to 2 psi I believe i am seeing may be accurate , once the secondaries are fully open , I am sure it will make more boost.

I have to thank everyone that has PM'd me or replied so far, especially 11secavanti he has been a real help on the phone.
                    The filters one on top of the other with one sticking out beyond the "can" and the top one partially exposed would probably be the R2/3 Wix filter 42112 or cross by brand. Good luck getting there step by step.

Comment

A K&N replacement would be E-3214, and you will only need one. Works much better and when you put it on you will be able to hear the supercharger whine.
                      Richard
                      The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

Originally posted by 63larkr1 View Post
                        A K&N replacement would be E-3214, and you will only need one. Works much better and when you put it on you will be able to hear the supercharger whine.
                        Richard
                        Because it's being overworked, or grinding itself up from dirt getting past the filter?

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
                          Because it's being overworked, or grinding itself up from dirt getting past the filter?
                          No problems, filter works great.
                          Richard
                          The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

No problems, filter works great.
                            Richard
                            Had to ask-love the "whine" myself- though a turbo "whistle" is close. Cheese anyone?

Comment

Richard
                              good to know. that is what im looking for. As a side note. I had taken a look again at the throttle linkage its so poorly assembled that someone moved the gas pedal off to the right and the rod was not even extending the linkage to open the secondaries all the time, 95% of the time they were not opening. the 2 times i checked we had must of had it just right and they barely worked. i basically readjusted the pedal center and fixed all the sloppy linkage parts, now the car is starting to come alive. im going to recheck compression and see if there is actually any boost being made at 5000 rpm.

Comment

The Strings "K&N" and "filters" are an oxymoron. They can't filter anything less than the size of a small pebble*. If you want a lot of pass-thru and no containment, then K&N is for you...
                                See www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html
                                The idea of an air filter is to protect the engine......
                                64 GT Hawk (K7)
                                1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
                                X