r2 pulleys for charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: r2 pulleys for charger

So I just got the r2 / r3 cloned car from the ebay sale. I need to go through the carb and check timing, I dont know, I was expecting a little bit more power out of this engine. My father always said the 327sbc he put in my 63 was way faster than the r2 ever was.
    which leads me to the question of what pulley can you put on the charger and crank to optimize the max amount of boost the charger can generate. And am I over expecting ?

Thanks
    eric
    1 Family owned 63 Studebaker Avanti 63r-1705 White with Orange interior , R2 4 speed.
    Just purchased 63r-3623 R2 was a auto now dressed to a R3 with a4speed.

Originally posted by Endl98 View Post
    So I just got the r2 / r3 cloned car from the ebay sale. I need to go through the carb and check timing, I dont know, I was expecting a little bit more power out of this engine. My father always said the 327sbc he put in my 63 was way faster than the r2 ever was.
    which leads me to the question of what pulley can you put on the charger and crank to optimize the max amount of boost the charger can generate. And am I over expecting ?

Thanks
    eric
    Might be over expecting. Fast must be related to time period. Overdriving the Paxton will help some, but shorten its life exponentially. Original 0-60 times were high 7.0 to 8.0 about that of a new base Toyota Camry. For contrast, a new mustang 5.0 is in the 4.5 second range. That's why Newman and Altman used a 300-327 in the Avanti II, same or more performance with less hassle. A larger diameter crank pulley was made, but interference with the power steering ram ball end was a problem. Also, as your new car has an engine of unknown history, you might find that it is not really up to "R3" throughout. could be any 289 with a blower and box, and might not even be as good as an original R2. Try to check it out by checking head casting numbers, pulling a plug and looking for flat top pistons etc. That doesn't mean it won't be fun.
    Last edited by karterfred88; 06-06-2016, 01:17 PM.

Comment

To start with the 327 is way lighter than a 289. Weight is just like added horse power. Also depends on which 327 you are talking about. you could get anywhere from 250-350 hp and the 350 version would be as good or better than any R-2 289.

Comment

This is what I am finding out about the stude 289 r2. I didn't know it was that much heavier than a small chevy.
        I have a 300hp 327 from 68 in the car now. and a glide.
        from what I can see is that this R2 motor has the larger 8"crank and smaller 45/8 charger pulley already. I know now its 030 over , it has flat top pistons and r3 valves. I don't know what the compression ratio is. it looks like the pistons have detonation pitting, but that is looking thru my scope and most pistons look this way. I can see the motor is a fresh rebuild. it has new cross hatch on the bores.
        I cleaned the plugs and it runs a bit better. I was able to light the tires up from a stand still. easily done being they are so skinny.
        I am not looking to make my white 63 any faster, I bought the other car for the R2 and the 4 spd, which my white car was originally. I want to make that car more correct. other than driving my friends super hawk which wasn't a rocket either. I have never been in a R2 stude.
        I own a auto repair / custom shop. I have a lot of Chevy BBC and Sbc knowledge, but no stude. I have quite a few toys in the garage.
        I really just want to make sure that this engine is not a bad build, supposedly JDP on the board is the builder, but I have not been able to contact him threw messages.
        I don't want to tear it down if I do not have to. it does run very nice to. actually to smooth for me. im normally driving something that really thumps.
        1 Family owned 63 Studebaker Avanti 63r-1705 White with Orange interior , R2 4 speed.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	avanti pic.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	1707110 As you can see its not really stock anymore. My father removed the marker lights and the reverse lights and made his own wheel flares that mimic the original openings.

Comment

Sounds like it is "almost" a R2.5. A full "clone" would need at least a .060 to get 299 and more to get to 304.5. R3 valves are not in R3 heads, although a thorough port job can equal or better the R3 heads.
            But lets be honest, a crate 350 with no blower will have more power with less weight-but it don't look as cool as that supercharger and carb enclosure !!!!

Comment

There are R2 or clone R3 engines that had the incorrect intake manifold gaskets installed and the carburetor gets hot and does not perform properly.
              John Poulos (JPD)is very knowledgable about Studebakers.
              I doubt that he installed the incorrect intake manifold gasket but someone may have installed them later.
              There are vendors that sell the regular V8 intake manifold gaskets as fitting the R2 engines and that maybe your problem.
              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...nifold+gaskets

Robert Kapteyn
              Last edited by rkapteyn; 06-06-2016, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
                Sounds like it is "almost" a R2.5. A full "clone" would need at least a .060 to get 299 and more to get to 304.5. R3 valves are not in R3 heads, although a thorough port job can equal or better the R3 heads.
                But lets be honest, a crate 350 with no blower will have more power with less weight-but it don't look as cool as that supercharger and carb enclosure !!!!
                When I was bidding on the car on ebay, I did check the head and block numbers I know they have truck heads on a R1 block. how much does a R2 weigh???

Comment

Thanks
                  eric
                  Your father was probably right about the Corvette 327 out-accelerating a stock R2...A friend owns a stock '73 Avanti with the 400 CI Chev that's definitely stronger than an R2, on the low end anyway!

Comment

Well the 327 in my white 63 has a glide behind it . Off the line it's a pig.then it does move out nicely. I did talk to Nash niimesh today and he gave me some really good advise and help. I pulled the air box off and found. The vacuum caps all rotted away. I cleaned the carb adjusted it. Replaced the caps. I have the smaller blower pulls and the 7 inch crank . He said that is good. It runs a lot better now. The blower really moves a lot of air at idle

Ed the 400 sbc has a lot of torq but not a lot of top end hp.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55082[/ATTACH] As you can see its not really stock anymore. My father removed the marker lights and the reverse lights and made his own wheel flares that mimic the original openings.
                      The Avanti is really cool. Great 80s vibe goin on with this car. A lot of older Vette flavor in this package. Very nice.
                      sals54

Comment

actually sals54 , My father did this in 1973. pearl white, has ghost pinstriping, pastel freak spots the flares and side pipes. plus 32 coats of clear. Its like a 1/4 thick. sadly the lacquer paint is starting to crack all by the fuel cap and down, the car has been garaged for 27 years I graduated in 87 parked it and I moved to Long island from Houston. Never really went back. My dad didn't drive it again, I just pulled it out of the garage 2 years ago when he passed away. Dropped a battery in poured gas down the carb, and it fired up in 20 secs. put all the fluids back in and been driving since.

Comment

When I was bidding on the car on ebay, I did check the head and block numbers I know they have truck heads on a R1 block. how much does a R2 weigh???
                          Numbers are all over the place, seems most figures are for bare engine, not with all the accessories (maybe even without the water manifold), especially the blower, cast adapter and tensioner installed- at least 250 lbs. more than a SBC. On the order of 720 lbs. fully dressed +/-, add to that the heavy flywheel and cast iron bell housings used vs. aluminum by most others. Makes the Avanti a little nose heavy--!!!.

Comment

whole crap thats a heavy big, thats Big block chevy weight. so are there diet parts out there for the r2.

Comment

whole crap thats a heavy big, thats Big block chevy weight. so are there diet parts out there for the r2.
                              That's about what a Caddy or 292/312 Ford weighed back then too. Remember the SBC was the "first" "light v8" it weighs in at about 650 plus accessories--
                              I think most of the lightweight stuff is gone, like water manifolds, repro heads and intakes and they were of questionable use. You can always lighten the flywheel and use a light weight bell housing.
                              Your other Avanti has the real "Diet" results, or go aluminum block and heads and save even more-weight-not money of course.

Comment

Working...
                              X