EPAS Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: EPAS Update

I just picked up my Sky Hawk, after having the Toyota EPAS and shortened steering bell crank installed. WOW, what a difference...! The reduced number of turns of the steering wheel was as noticeable as the reduced steering effort. $88 for the entire EPAS system, and $400 to have it installed was money WELL spent. A BIG shout out to Jerry Forrester...
    Last edited by 345 DeSoto; 10-11-2019, 09:06 AM. Reason: spelling errors

Any chance of getting some kits made up?

Comment

Did you modify the stock steering column? What are you using for transmission gear selection?
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

RadioRoy - When I replaced the 3sp/OD transmission with a GM 200-4R, I had to replace the column shift with a Lokar floor shifter. The modification, basically, to the steering column involved cutting/shortening the column housing and the steering shaft the appropriate length, and inserting the EPAS. All in all, a pretty simple operation.

Comment

70Avanti2 - There's really nothing to put a "Kit" together with. You need to source the donor EPAS from the vehicle of your choice, from a Scrap Yard. The Unit and separate Controller I used was from a 2009-2010 Toyota Corolla. Then Cut and Paste...

Comment

I used a Saturn Vue System in my Champ. I converted the 3 speed trans
            to floor shift. I modified the column as well. So far I am very happy with the results.

I kept the original column and shaft so that I could switch it back to original if I wanted to
            1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
              I just picked up my Sky Hawk, after having the Toyota EPAS and shortened steering bell crank installed. WOW, what a difference...! The reduced number of turns of the steering wheel was as noticeable as the reduced steering effort. $88 for the entire EPAS system, and $400 to have it installed was money WELL spent. A BIG shout out to Jerry Forester...
              At $400 to install I say that was an excellent price. Any possibility of a picture or two?

Well bought, Bob

Comment

I've basically gotten my '64 GT EPAS installed, but am doing several other mods and have not finished it totally. I used the unit from a 2012 Toyota Prius. The advantage is that it has a controller box that is separate from the column unit and will mount somewhere under the dash. I have powered it up and it will work very well. I also installed a tilt column from an '80's Camaro. I have lots of pic's but I need to learn how to put them in my posts, so be patient, they will get here. Bill

Comment

This is interesting. If I blow one more PS hose on either of the two GT Hawks, may just convert to EPAS.

How about electricity draw? Need a high output alternator, or any other mods to the Stude charging system?

Comment

JoeHall - No big electric current draw, however, Toyota recommends an inline 50 amp fuse/circuit breaker in the power to the motor line, in the event that you crank the steering all he way over to lock, and hold it there...so you won't burn out the motor. Stock electrical output is fine.
                    Last edited by 345 DeSoto; 10-11-2019, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Colgate Studebaker - The 2012 Prius Unit/Controller is the same as he 2009-2010 Corolla Unit/controller...

Comment

sweetolbob - As soon as my Missus gets home, we'll work up some pictures. BTW...I also had the steering rod end of the steering bell crank cut and shortened 1 3/8" and rewelded...$50. It reduced the number of lock-to-lock turns, noticeably. I waited until I had the EPAS installed. If I didn't, I'd NEVER have been able turn the steering wheel.
                        Last edited by 345 DeSoto; 10-11-2019, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
                          RadioRoy - When I replaced the 3sp/OD transmission with a GM 200-4R, I had to replace the column shift with a Lokar floor shifter.
                          Had to? When I swapped my 3sp/OD to a 4L60 it was no sweat to make the 3sp shifter work with it. I was going to convert it to a Stude auto trans shifter as I have the parts, but have since changed it for a '69 GM tilt, auto trans unit instead.

Comment

Here is an article which is related. https://www.hotrod.com/articles/150-...rius-delivers/

Comment

POST #14 - Yup...that's just about all that's involved, and just about what I did...

Comment

Working...
                              X