Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

EPAS Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the maximum length which needs to be removed from the steering column in order to fit the Prius unit in?

Comment

The length to cut from a column will depend on where you desire to mount the EPAS unit and how much of the column you want coming back toward the driver. I mounted my unit close to the steering box and protruding into the engine compartment. I then built a protective box around the unit leaving plenty of clearance to the steering box and engine etc. Then I measured and remeasured and measured again how much column I needed to get the steering wheel where I wanted it. At this stage in all of the installs being done currently, I don't think there are any standard measurements that will work on every car. Trial and error seems to fit the bill so far. Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Colgate Studebaker View Post
        The length to cut from a column will depend on where you desire to mount the EPAS unit and how much of the column you want coming back toward the driver. I mounted my unit close to the steering box and protruding into the engine compartment. I then built a protective box around the unit leaving plenty of clearance to the steering box and engine etc. Then I measured and remeasured and measured again how much column I needed to get the steering wheel where I wanted it. At this stage in all of the installs being done currently, I don't think there are any standard measurements that will work on every car. Trial and error seems to fit the bill so far. Bill
        Bill, can you post some pics of your installation?
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Paul and all that are interested, yes I've got lots of pic's. My issue is two fold, 1) I'm not very literate at computing and 2) I had major neck surgery on Monday the 14th and my mobility isn't very good yet. If you guy's can wait a while I'm going to get pic's up somewhere in the coming weeks. Thanks, Bill.

Comment

Sure Bill, that is no problem at all. Hope you get back up to speed quickly!!
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Here's the first trial pic post

Comment

Here come a few more!

Comment

Here's the first trial pic post
                  Bill, forgive me for asking what might be dumb questions, since I know nothing about EPAS. In this picture, is the shaft coming out of the left side of the EPAS unit the output shaft?

How close to the firewall does the EPAS unit end up?
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

The shaft on the left is the output shaft. The long shaft, is the input shaft, a LOT of which is not used...

Comment

Sorry for the delay in getting this response. Jeff Rice came over this morning to try to teach me some "computing" which is how I was able to post a few pics. (THANKS JEFF!!!) My neck has been really aggravated today and I put the laptop down as soon as Jeff left. Paul, yes the output shaft is to the left and the input is on the right. On my install I really thought outside the box and I mounted the EPAS unit on the engine side of the firewall. I wanted as much room under the dash for suspended pedals, a/c ducting and wiring etc. I built an 18 ga. box around the unit and sealed the shafts etc. Because I also used a tilt column from an '80's Camaro I had to shorten the column and use a couple Borgeson shaft bushings to connect it all. On each individuals desire to use EPAS I believe the units will need to be "custom" fit to the vehicle and drivers desired positioning of the various components. More to come, Bill.

Comment

I'm assuming the use of the EPAS unit negates the use of a column shift. Is this correct, or are there units that can use the column shift?
                        sigpic

Comment

On mine the intent is to change from a stick (4 speed) to a 200 4R auto overdrive(ready to go in) and I'll use a powershift shifter, so 1) the original column was for a floor shift and 2)the Camaro column was also a floor shift. Here are a few more pic's..... or not. I still can't get them to transfer to the forum. I really do not understand how this stuff works. I'll try again, Bill

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0299.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1807426

Comment

I got some, I just don't know how I got them!!! LOL

Comment

I got some, I just don't know how I got them!!! LOL
                              Bill, thank you very much for the detailed explanations and all the photos you have posted. These have helped me immensely!
                              Paul
                              Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

How short can that input shaft be. I understand that all installs will be custom but before I buy a unit I would like some idea of the shortest total length possible.

Comment

Working...
                                X