61 champ grill, etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

" Directional signals were optional, either painted or chrome"

I thought turn signals were a federal requirement by 1953 or about then.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
      " Directional signals were optional, either painted or chrome"

I thought turn signals were a federal requirement by 1953 or about then.
      My recollection is that directional signals became mandatory in the US in 1957, but I'd be pleased to be corrected. (I looked it up once, but don't remember what the answer was. What I do remember is that it was a royal pain in the a-- slogging through the FMVSS to find that one little factoid.)

But the answer is more complicated when talking about trucks. Many states required directional signals on trucks, especially big trucks, long before the Federal standard became effective. In addition, beginning with the 1957 3E series, Studebaker offered two different classes of signals on trucks. Class A used separate signal lamps, both front (on the fender tops) and rear. Class B used the existing parking lamps and tail lamps. So the truck accessories lists showed both of them as optional -- but it was really only to the extent that one or the other had to be chosen. Still, the 1963 accessory list still shows the front signal lamps as being optional, even on big trucks.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Parchment White is a little different than Ermine or Wimbledon white. Parchment has a little more yellow in it....I think Ermine is correct for wheels, mirrors, etc....

Comment

Working...
        X