61 Champ engine swap info needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 61 Champ engine swap info needed

l want to make a conversion from an ailing OHV 6 to either a Stude V8 OR a Chevy small block and make it as easy as possible. But l'm confused.

The truck has an o/d transmission with 6 bolts on the top plate (l understand that is the "good" one) and Dana 44 with 4:27 ratio.

To make it "easy", which is best - a Stude V8 (which years?) or a SBC (which years?)?

Chevy had a BW o/d tranny available '55-'62, so will a small block of that vintage just bolt up?

l've read that there was a bellhousing change in '63 and newer. So do '62 and older Stude V8's fit my tranny, but not newer ones?

What other pitfalls am l about to get into?

l'm not doing this myself - hiring it out to a younger son of a club member who has extensive Stude AND street rod experience. And l want to install a new wiring harness at the same time.

Yipes! (Wish l could just bolt in a Stude 185, but that would do nothing for the resale of the truck).

Thanks , in advance, for your help!
    Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
    61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
    Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
    Ride me in a Studebaker"

Turn your OHV into a 185 . I'm getting parts together to do it now , Ed

Comment

Get a Stude 259 or 289 with the bell housing and O/D trans attached. Swap it all into the Champ. You may need to have a correct length driveshaft made or yours modified to fit.
      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
      1950 Champion Convertible
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I would only go with the stude V8 if you can find a good one at a reason able price. You can buy and rebuild a small block chev for less money with a 200 or 700r4. The overdrive of both would still work with your 4.27 gears. My truck has 4.10's and runs under 3000 at 70. Speedway motors has both the motor mount and trans mount for the chev in universal fit.

Comment

Hey Roger,
          I've just finished a conversion from an ohv crack head 6 to Stude V8 wit overdrive. mine is 61 and came with 6 wit O/D and 4:55. First thing was I located a 4:10. Truck sat many years and wasn't lomg til head problems artose. Bought nudder engine/trans, wasn't long before I had worse problems wit da engine. Started poking round lookin for an 8 I could afford. Long story short bought engine OD combo 259, T85 truck trans. It takes 4 truck mounts to mount engine. Trans hangs off bellhousing. I'd asked several Stude truck guys bout using 6 cyl OD trans. no. I have a car V8 OD trans but seller of engine made me a trade deal for da T85 dat was on the engine. Mine has factory b'house so no dialing in. Had drive shaft shortened bout 2" Had to make a small bracket to mount clutch shaft bracket on the trans. 6 clutch shaft wouldn't work as.
          If you'd PM me I'll give you my email and phone and will discuss it. I have parts numbers for motor mounts and can walk you through da process I did. Simpler than doing SBC for a number of reasons.
          Guy I got my engine from may have nudder engine and he does have motor mounts and a good guy to do business with. I'm very happy with engine/trans I got from him, runs near perfectly.
          Hope this helps,
          Kim

Comment

Originally posted by STEWDI View Post
            Chevy had a BW o/d tranny available '55-'62, so will a small block of that vintage just bolt up?
            Don't think anyone answered this part of the question. The Chevy OD transmissions were made by Muncie, not Borg Warner. They were relatively light duty units, and were only available on the 6 and the low-horsepower versions of the 265/283 V8. They are similar to the BW units in design, but nothing interchanges.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

The 55-62 Chev OD trannys worst part was the round shafts that came out of the side of the case. The shift arm bolts would loosen up a little and the arms would come out of adjustment. You would have to crawl under and line everything up again, a dirty job. That and second gear would always shed teeth. If I were going to use a Chev trans. I would use a mid 60's to 80's Saginaw 4 speed and put the 3 OD behind it. Bolts right up with no need for an adapter.

Comment

Depending where you are, i may want to take that engine/or just the head off your hands. I have a 61 Lark OHV 6 and id like a backup head, so long as yours isnt cracked. The whole thing would be nice too

Comment

I have a complete head just sitting in my loft.
                  If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                  64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                  61 V8 Tcab
                  63 Tcab 20R powered
                  55 Commander Wagon
                  54 Champion Wagon
                  46 Gibson Model A
                  50 JD MC
                  45 Agricat
                  67 Triumph T100
                  66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

Now for the transplant you could also use a McKinnon and an adaptor plate and your current BorgeWarner transmission. You need the 65 adapter plate to do this but others besides me must have these sitting around.
                    If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                    64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                    61 V8 Tcab
                    63 Tcab 20R powered
                    55 Commander Wagon
                    54 Champion Wagon
                    46 Gibson Model A
                    50 JD MC
                    45 Agricat
                    67 Triumph T100
                    66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

The 6 Bolt Cover Tranny you have in the Six, is a T-86 Case T-90, setup for the Six Cyl. Clutch, meaning it has a tiny Input Shaft.

Stude. V8's COULD use the Med. Duty T-86 like a Car, but because they were expected to be able to carry Loads, all the later V8 Trucks have H.D. T-89's with a T-85 Case, using a Left Side Cover.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Roger If you decide to go the small block chev there's no point in going with a 283. The 350 is the same size and weight , easier to find so should be cheaper and there are a lot of them out there in used decent shape. Plus they have a longer stroke than a 283 or 327 that will work better in a truck. They are the same from when they first came out in 69-85 only change was the dip stick was moved the the right side in 1980. Even the 86 up will work but the heads are different I think in 88 so it takes a special intake to go with a carb intake unless you stay FI.

Comment

StarDiero, it sounds like Studebakerkid has the best offer - l'm 2 1/2 hours east of Detroit!

Thanks for the input, everyone! You guys are the best. It's amazing - so much knowledge right off the top of your heads from experience!

With your input and of course consulting with the guy doing the job, lll have to make a decision soon.

Thanks again!
                          Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
                          61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
                          Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
                          Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Originally posted by studebakerkid View Post
                            I have a complete head just sitting in my loft.
                            Man, whats your area?

Comment

Originally posted by STEWDI View Post
                              StarDiero, it sounds like Studebakerkid has the best offer - l'm 2 1/2 hours east of Detroit!

Thanks for the input, everyone! You guys are the best. It's amazing - so much knowledge right off the top of your heads from experience!

With your input and of course consulting with the guy doing the job, lll have to make a decision soon.

Thanks again!
                              Sounds like so. Thatd be a fun road trip though haha.

Comment

Working...
                              X