1961 Studebaker Champ, restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChampCouple View Post
    I think I know what you mean...... bringing old parts back to life is so rewarding. It will certainly be fun driving the pickup around, but I know I will miss working on it like I have been.
    What will impress others are the photos in an album of YOU and your wife doing the work on it in your own garage when attending car shows.

There are people who spend tons of $$$ having all the restoration work done by someone else, but its totally not the same as you working on it yourself.

Craig

Comment

I found those shock brackets! Had them already painted and ready to be installed.... just forgot all about them. Thanks again for the heads up.

Mike
      No problems - comes from working on or around cars for 30+ years. Nothing worse than tightening the last screw back into a carburetor to find a check ball rolling around in the pan you had disassembled it in... you do, however, get good at taking them apart and putting them back together!

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
        There are people who spend tons of $$$ having all the restoration work done by someone else, but its totally not the same as you working on it yourself.
        Thanks. Yeah, I know driving it around will be satisfying, but doing the teardown, cleaning, rebuilding, is just as satisfying to me. Some of the little triumphs in figuring out a problem, are only known to us. But that's ok, it just adds to the learning experience.

Course, on the flip side, if anything goes wrong with the rig, I will know exactly who to blame, lol!

Mike

Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Been making some progress of late. My wife has been sanding the hood.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1589238626152.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1835052Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1589238629815.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	1835053Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1589238638907.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	1835054
          I'm afraid if she keeps up doing such good work, someone will steal her from me!

Couple weeks ago, bought some 16" wheels, and a couple roller tires. What a difference that made when looking at the frame!

Name:	FB_IMG_1589238643454.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	1835055Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1589238647146.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1835056

Actually starting to look like something.

Last couple days, been trying to prep the engine for removal. And working on the steering gear box. But the steering column I got with the '62 is damaged, and not the right one. And the one in the pickup has the wrong end on it. So, couple steps forward, one back..........

Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Have you ever checked out the champ setting at junction of 58 and I-5 ,on the north side by the quansit hut looking building?

Comment

Originally posted by jetboat View Post
              Have you ever checked out the champ setting at junction of 58 and I-5 ,on the north side by the quansit hut looking building?
              No, I never have. I've thought about it, but kept figuring as long as it's been there, owner must not be willing to part with it. I think last time I drove by, black berries over the top of it.
              Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Those were my exact thoughts

Comment

We finally got the engine pulled, along with the transmission. I didn't think it would be that long of a project, but turned out longer than I had anticipated. At one point, I really thought, this pickup just isn't going to happen. But, we kept at it.

Name:	97997421_2897162737033531_8513960417284849664_n.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	1837159Click image for larger version

Name:	97995504_2910562452360226_9120866693806030848_n.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1837160

This engine I just want to do a basic warm over, hope it at least runs. So will order new seals and gaskets, have heads spec'd, and hope it runs long enough till we get the HD engine fully rebuilt.

Name:	99293299_2910562319026906_5305573719224090624_n.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1837161Click image for larger version

Name:	99098332_2910562375693567_5039896598595764224_n.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	1837162

Started cleaning engine parts. The flywheel on the HD engine, does not look real good, teeth worn and chewed up on the inside. Fortunately this one looks better.

Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

The flywheel on the HD engine, does not look real good, teeth worn and chewed up on the inside. Fortunately this one looks better.
                    There is an old "farm" trick to get extended life out of those ring gears. You will note that it is only worn in a couple places - not all the way around because an engine usually tends to stop in a few spots. You can remove the ring gear and turn the newer teeth to where those worn ones are and the starter drive will hit on those better teeth. When that gets worn down, you can also flip the ring gear over and start over again.

Comment

I'm happy that you "kept at it" and got the engine out. Sometimes the difficulties pile up and take the fun out of a project, but once you have the engine freshened up, back in and running, it will all be worth the hassle. Good Luck with it!
                      Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

It looks like the Engine that was in the Truck is a 259, not a 289 like the H.D. one.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                          It looks like the Engine that was in the Truck is a 259, not a 289 like the H.D. one.
                          Thanks. My dad thought the truck one was a 259, but being he installed it late 60's, he wasn't sure. Possible someone replaced it after him, but we kinda doubt it.
                          Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
                            I'm happy that you "kept at it" and got the engine out. Sometimes the difficulties pile up and take the fun out of a project, but once you have the engine freshened up, back in and running, it will all be worth the hassle. Good Luck with it!
                            I kinda figured there would be moments when I would question my sanity in this process..... but still look forward most everyday working on it. Thanks.
                            Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post

There is an old "farm" trick to get extended life out of those ring gears. You will note that it is only worn in a couple places - not all the way around because an engine usually tends to stop in a few spots. You can remove the ring gear and turn the newer teeth to where those worn ones are and the starter drive will hit on those better teeth. When that gets worn down, you can also flip the ring gear over and start over again.
                              Thank you for the information. I had to look up on YouTube to see how ring gears were removed and installed. I had no idea they aren't mechanically locked in.
                              Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

I had no idea they aren't mechanically locked in.
                                I have only seen it done once - shade tree mechanic style. Put the flywheel, sans gear, in the freezer for 24 hours or so. Hour before you want to install the ring gear, put ring in the oven and set it to as high a temperature as the oven will get. After time is up, the flywheel was sitting on the sidewalk and the ring gear was dropped on and tapped down to where it belonged. After they were room temperature, that ring was not going anywhere.

Comment

Working...
                                X