1961 Studebaker Champ, restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
    Mike, I am really enjoying following this thread. You are doing a good job with that truck. I just had the transmission rebuilt in my '61 Champ and it is really nice now. Much quieter, tighter and easier to shift. You will really enjoy your truck when done. Keep up the great work.
    Thanks for the kind words! I've tinkered with vehicles most my life, but nothing like this before. Very enjoyable project.
    I'm hoping one of the transmissions I have is at least sorta ok. Bet your's is a pleasure to drive.

I hope we get to meet up sometime soon, sure would love to see your Champ.
    Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Looking good. It is amazing how much dirt can be captured by oil and build up over time. Have seen several of those I-beam shaped axles that look like square stock from the front!

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
        Looking good. It is amazing how much dirt can be captured by oil and build up over time. Have seen several of those I-beam shaped axles that look like square stock from the front!
        Thanks!
        And that's a good a way to describe the build up!
        Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by ChampCouple View Post

Thanks!
          And that's a good a way to describe the build up!
          My Uncle used to always chuckle and say Studebaker provided 'life-time' undercoating - from the engine back...

Comment

Nice work. I recently finished a '51 Champion Starlight Coupe, so I know what you are going through. As others have said, you will not regret the work you are doing as the result will show it and the pride you will have is really worth it. Good luck and keep up the good work.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry R View Post
              Nice work. I recently finished a '51 Champion Starlight Coupe, so I know what you are going through. As others have said, you will not regret the work you are doing as the result will show it and the pride you will have is really worth it. Good luck and keep up the good work.
              Thanks for the kind words, and congratulations on your Starlight Couple.
              Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Pretty productive weekend working on the '62 Champ frame. Got the outside, front 1/3 of the framed painted, so we can reassemble the front leaf springs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	frame painted.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1815996

My friend Herb unbolted the transmission, and we got it removed so we could check the clutch plates. They are ok..... but decided just go ahead and replace them. But the starter gear looks kinda rough. So, if I can find one inexpensive enough, I might by it. Other wise maybe we will see what the '61 one looks like.

Name:	transmission.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	1815997Click image for larger version

Name:	freind.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	1815998Click image for larger version

Name:	Bell housing.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	1815999Click image for larger version

Name:	bell housing primed.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	1816000
                Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Winter weather has slowed us down a little. But did manage to drop off the axle to get the king pins replaced, hopefully get that back soon.

We cleaned, painted and reinstalled the front leaf springs, with new bushings.
                  Leaf sping
                  And been painting more parts. I use to like painting...... getting a little redundant now.......
                  Painted parts
                  Thinking about our engine situation, we've decided to take the HD 259 off the '62 frame, and put it away till we can get it rebuilt. Thus, we hope the engine in the '61 pickup can be made to run with out to much trouble, as its neither the original pickup engine, nor a HD. So no real reason to make it our good engine. We'll start looking into that next week.
                  Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Today we pulled the hood off the '61, to start seeing if its possible to get this engine started/running.

Name:	hood off 1.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1820292Click image for larger version

Name:	hood off 2.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1820293
                    We placed a 12 batter in the pickup, turned the key in the ignition, and we read 12v to the coil, and to the starter relay. First sigh of relief today.

When we got the pickup, it didn't have an air cleaner on it, so rats and wasps had made use of the carburetor.

Name:	carb dirty.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	1820294
                    Fortunately, the butterfly plates were closed, and nothing got below them..... the intake manifold floor looked clean. Second, and biggest sigh of relief for the day.
                    Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

I spotted something important here:

Click image for larger version  Name:	freind.jpg Views:	75 Size:	100.9 KB ID:	1815998I believe this is your '62 HD 259, it is a LATE '62 with the Full Flow Oil Filter at the Lower Right Rear! THAT is a serious score, not a lot of '62's have those Later Engines.
                      If the White thing with the Red Thing under it, is a Hydraulic JACK, I would definitely get it off of there before it ruins the Aluminum Oil Filter Base!

I would think THAT engine would possibly not need much more than Re-Sealing/Gasketing and maybe a Valve Job after testing, unless it was really mistreated or gotten water in it.

UPDATE: now that I look closer at that Engine in the '61, I see that it is likely ALSO a Late '62 to '64 Engine as well, and should have a Full Flow Filter. It must be from a Truck, as it only has One Oil Cap Valve Cover and No Oil Filler Pipe in front.

It has a Diesel Sized Oil Filter on Top and may have the Full Flow Filter Block-off Plate installed instead of the Oil Filter Mount and Filter.

Last edited by StudeRich; 02-10-2020, 04:11 PM.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        I spotted something important here:

I believe this is your '62 HD 259, it is a LATE '62 with the Full Flow Oil Filter at the Lower Right Rear! THAT is a serious score, not a lot of '62's have those Later Engines. :
                        If the White thing with the Red Thing under it, is a Hydraulic JACK, I would definitely get it off of there before it ruins the Aluminum Oil Filter Base!

now that I look closer at that Engine in the '61, I see that it is likely ALSO a Late '62 to '64 Engine as well, and should have a Full Flow Filter. It must be from a Truck, as it only has One Oil Cap Valve Cover and No Oil Filler Pipe in front.

It has a Diesel Sized Oil Filter on Top and may have the Full Flow Filter Block-off Plate installed instead of the Oil Filter Mount and Filter. :
                        Thanks for the information! Yes that is a jack underneath you spotted, I do have 2x4 between the jack and the oil pan, maybe I should do something different.

I'm going to take another photo of the oil filter on the '61. There is a pipe, with a cap, on the other side of the filter, blocked by the camera angle. We were just talking about that, wondering what it is. I will get the photo posted soon.

Thanks!

Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

now that I look closer at that Engine in the '61, I see that it is likely ALSO a Late '62 to '64 Engine as well, and should have a Full Flow Filter. It must be from a Truck, as it only has One Oil Cap Valve Cover and No Oil Filler Pipe in front.

It has a Diesel Sized Oil Filter on Top and may have the Full Flow Filter Block-off Plate installed instead of the Oil Filter Mount and Filter.
                          I don't have any history on the '62 HD 259. The '61 259, I have some history.

My dad had a Gran Turismo, the Champ, and one other Studebaker. He had three or so engines, and as he remembers, he took all the best components for the Gran Turismo, and the second best set of components for the Champ. How much swapping of parts was actually done, he doesn't remember, as this would have been late 1960's. So not sure how much you can deduce from this, but your thoughts are always appreciated.

Name:	Oil filter pipe.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	1820830Click image for larger version

Name:	number.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	1820831

Thanks,
                          Mike

Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

From your 1st. Pic in Post 57, I can tell you that your Dad or someone hand MADE that Pipe the Oil Filter is mounted on, it looks capped, but could also be an Oil Filler Pipe!
                            The pictures back up his statement that these Engines were "pieced" together from many different Year Parts.

Stude. V8 Engine Serial numbers are STAMPED into each Block on Assembly, so the Number that matters is on the Flat Machined Pad UNDER that Filter, Left, Front, Top Corner of the Block.
                            Here:

Any "Raised" Numbers like you found, are caused by the casting MOLD and are the same on ALL Engines made with it.

You can Check the Engine Numbers on BOTH Engines to see if my "Guesses" about them, just looking at the Pics are correct.

The V8 Engine I.D. Chart is here on the SDC Website:
                            http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/V8EngineID.asp
                            Last edited by StudeRich; 02-12-2020, 03:12 PM.
                            StudeRich

Comment

From your 1st. Pic in Post 57, I can tell you that your Dad or someone hand MADE that Pipe the Oil Filter is mounted on, it looks capped, but could also be an Oil Filler Pipe!
                              The pictures back up his statement that these Engines were "pieced" together from many different Year Parts.

Stude. V8 Engine Serial numbers are STAMPED into each Block on Assembly, so the Number that matters is on the Flat Machined Pad UNDER that Filter, Left, Front, Top Corner of the Block.
                              Looking at the bracket holding the oil cannister, it does look homemade, or at least modified. The pipe does have a cap.
                              Here is the serial number for that engine, P5646:
                              Engine serial number

Thanks for your help with this, this forum is a great asset.

Mike

Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Per the V-8 Engine I.D. Chart I sent you in Post #58, you would have found that P5646 is a 1957 President or Silver Hawk 289.
                                So it's a Partial Flow Engine needing a Canister or Spin-on Type Studebaker/Fram Oil Filter on a Correct Oil Filler Pipe.
                                StudeRich

Comment

Working...
                                X