Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1961 Studebaker Champ, restoration

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    QUOTE: Got a little bit more done this weekend. My wife sanded and wire brushed the bed.

    Click image for larger version Name:	71348232_133185954716437_6032797818006011904_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.5 KB ID:	1804459

    Great project! And your wife is a keeper for sure!!
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by r1lark View Post
      [B][I]QUOTE: Great project! And your wife is a keeper for sure!!
      Thanks for the compliments!

      Mike and Dawn

      '61 Champ

      Comment


      • #33
        This past weekend, I got the rear leaf springs apart. It took a 3/4 drive breaker bar, but the leaf spring shackle bolts are removed on one side, and loosened on the other. Now to buy new bushings and paint the remaining leaf springs.

        Click image for larger version

Name:	73482810_2433232786759864_1512891741705863168_n.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	1806176

        I also painted the gas tank. Have not yet fixed the filler tube crack.

        Click image for larger version

Name:	72803430_2433232746759868_2090840081702060032_n.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1806177

        Feels good to start seeing some results.
        Mike and Dawn

        '61 Champ

        Comment


        • #34
          Didn't get much done on the pickup this last week. But the week before, got some done.

          First, got the rear leaf springs bolts broken loose, and the one leaf spring out. Actually ordered the bushings for it tonight. Once the one side is done, will do the other.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20191007_173542.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	1807811
          Then my friend Herb helped me pull the heads off. I was told the engine had a blown head gasket......… maybe both head gaskets.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20191011_173243.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	1807812
          And finally cleaned the heads some, and then removed the valves.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20191015_174244.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	1807813
          Attached Files
          Mike and Dawn

          '61 Champ

          Comment


          • #35
            Little bit of a fight this week with removing the rear leaf spring bushings. No one way of removal worked, but seemed a combination of ways did.

            Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1572707248763.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	1808867Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1572707252921.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1808869
            C clamp press worked on removing one bushing. but only after cutting the length of the inner sleeve with a hacksaw.

            Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1572707256889.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	1808868
            The other end, we pressed, hammered, propane torched...... nothing, till we finally just started drilling out the rubber bushing, then it came off without to much of a fight. Saw on youtube a guy burning the rubber bushing out of his, went fast. This bushing, would not burn! Five minutes of heat, and hardly could see any difference. Good rubber back in the day!

            Then that left the inner sleeve still on the bushing bolt.

            Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1572707260437.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	1808870
            Tried vise grips, heating it some, tapping with hammer, wedging the sleeve along its to mated edges...... finally broke free, then locked up again. Heating and tapping it a bit more, finally able to wrestle it off. Now for a cold beer!
            Mike and Dawn

            '61 Champ

            Comment


            • #36
              Those bushings are fun. On the cars, they are same design and I have rarely heard of anyone getting the originals in one piece. My rear bushings were pretty much toast with only the outside metal sleeve giving any problems - sawed a groove and peeled out with a chisel. The fronts looked brand new - but getting them off the bracket was fun. For anyone taking things apart in the future, I put some anti-seize grease on the inside of the inner metal sleeve. Looking good!

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                For anyone taking things apart in the future, I put some anti-seize grease on the inside of the inner metal sleeve.
                I do the same thing, just in case I'm that person in the future!
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC
                Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

                Comment

                Working...
                X