No announcement yet.

The Project Begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's my understanding that for 1958 it was just a standard 289 the super charger was only on the Packard Hawk as standard equipment. In 1957 all Packards came with the super charger option

Comment

Originally posted by sgriggs View Post
      Was that car originally equipped with a supercharged 289?
      I saw a J Body parts car that had one! It wouldn't be as unusual as a 2 door Station Wagon body.

Mark
      sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Sending the dash out for a new pad. Zero foam left if you don't count the little bit still stuck to the fiberglass frame. Just Dashes in California is doing the work won't be done until Sept and not cheap!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3514.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1728245Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7869.jpg
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	1728246Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7871.jpg
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	1728247

Comment

That would be a unique project. Take a 1957 2 door wagon and add the bits and pieces from a 1958 Packard. Then to top it off and Packardize it more by changing the motor to a 1956 Packard V-8 and twin ultramatic transmission. All with in the SP family. I wonder if anyone has done this?

Comment

So far good news the trunk is in pretty good shape, this is the worst rust found and it's appears to be a common spot for rust in Studebaker's.

Name:	20190530_141600.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	1728397

Comment

Just Dashes is not cheap, but they do fantastic work. Your dash should look better than new and never disintegrate again!
              Scott Rodgers
              Los Angeles
              SDC Member since 1989
              \'60 Lark HT
              \'63 Wagonaire
              \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

That is the coolest pair of taillights ever (if same as 57)!!
                Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I need fins or a 1958 J

I need a pair of fins and a left front fender for a 1958 J.
                  I have many hard to find parts to trade.
                  Robert Kapteyn

Originally posted by JayBird View Post
                  Yes I agree but I was concerned due to the amount of rust in the rockers and the area below the rear window. Also the area under the "tacked" on fins is known for rust. Just like to have a back-up plan or in this case a "security" panel.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81454[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]81455[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by scott.rodgers View Post
                    Just Dashes is not cheap, but they do fantastic work. Your dash should look better than new and never disintegrate again!
                    For the price and wait it better be! Here is one from their web site photo archive that they did for a 57 Packard which shares the same dash as the 58's and the same disintegrating foam.

Name:	47418631-photo-1-1024x768.jpg
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	1728400

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
                      I need a pair of fins and a left front fender for a 1958 J.
                      I have many hard to find parts to trade.
                      Robert Kapteyn
                      Studebaker International has front fenders for the 58 Hardtops and Sedans. I just bought a left and right NOS from them

So far I've not found any NOS rear fins for the hard top. You might find rear fins for the sedans/wagons it will work on the hard top but it is missing the front section. Look also at the 58 President hardtops as they shared similar parts and they may work with some modification. Most of the salvage cars I've seen are rusted along the bottom of the fin where it attaches to the car.

I'm sure as the project progresses that I'll find something that I'll need

Comment

'Looks like a great undertaking on a worthy car, Ken. Best wishes. BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

It's been pointed out that the fenders I procured from SI are not for a 58 Packard but are for a 58 Studebaker HT. Basically the same fender but the area at the front where the fiberglass air deflector fits is different.

Speaking of the air deflectors SI lists the right side on in their on line catalog but when I ordered it the cupboard was bare. Not to worry I luckily was able to get a pair off of e-bay! Everything has a history and these came from Oz Welch who created the 58 Packard HT Custom Roadster Show Car Rita https://www.customcarchronicle.com/n.../#.XQjcyohKiUl.

Name:	20190606_142651.jpg
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1728447

Comment

I love these J-cars. Glad to see you bringing another back to the road.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                              Without a doubt one of the more elegant tail light designs of the era, not to garish or cluttered with extra add on trim. The real test is time and these are still in demand today. Sets in need of re-plating are selling on ebay for anywhere from $550-750 there are a couple on there now for $1,000 to $1,800 but that is only the listing price and they have been on there for a while. Of course we all know that re-chroming is not inexpensive. Good news it there are reproductions available for the lenses and gasket kits too.

Name:	DSCN8355.jpg
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1728481Click image for larger version

Name:	8b2734e8d4db9662882d2ecd309c8fc8.jpg
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	1728482Click image for larger version

Name:	packard-tail-light-5.jpg
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	1728483

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                                I believe they are also the same as a '56 Clipper. BP can tell us for sure.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                                X