ID:	1728563

Comment

Rough neighborhood.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

They left a couple of hub caps. They're usually the first to go.

Comment

Did it come with an engine? If not, what's your plan?

Mark
          sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

The car came with the motor, transmission and drive line missing in action. Since this car will be used to tour the country my intent at this time is to upgrade the motor and drive train. The current thinking is to try and retain the vintage look yet have a modern mill. So the plan is to use the existing air cleaner, add valve covers (not sure if I can use stock ones) and a few other ques like the oil filler tube to give it that faux original look. Of course this is a ways down the road so plans can and will change but this is the direction the project is moving in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	oil filler & tube 3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1728615

Comment

This looks like a great car to make a 1957 Packard HT out of. That is, put a '57 Packard front clip on it and delete the fins. And, put a supercharged '57 Packard engine in it. It would still be all Packard, just not as S-P manufactured it, but as S-P should have made it.
              -Dwight

Comment

If you need some parts, feel free to give me a call... 612-508-3518. I would like to help. I too looked at the collection but took a pass due to an already full shed.

Comment

Dwight - That would be and interesting project/build and would look nice sitting next to the one of a kind 58 2 door Packard wagon

Comment

58PackardWagon - Thanks for the offer I'm sure as the project progresses some needs will be discovered but so far given that the car was fairly complete along with bits and pieces I've found through bay and other on-line sources I think we have most of what is needed but I'll make sure to keep your contact information should/when the need may arise.

Yes, I understand the full shed and to many projects and too little time and resources, it's easy to collect "project" cars as is evident by the collection this one came from. I assume you also looked at the 2 1958 wagons that they have for sale. One was in very bad shape and it was difficult to tell what condition the other was in. I will tell you that Trevor was very honest and responsive about giving you an opinion of the condition along with photos of any areas of interest that were accessible. Although their pricing is IMO a bit on the higher side. I was drawn to this car because it seemed to be original and not molested or repainted, it appeared complete with the exception of the missing drive train which was not an issue since the plan was to replace it anyway. Additionally, it appeared to have been in storage since at least 1991 when it was titled in Marples name. The tag was from 1965. So it just seemed the perfect candidate at a reasonable price point.

So far other then the obvious conditions and typical rust the overall condition is not too bad and to be honest better then I expected. That's not to say it won't take some work. The floor pans show rust in several areas but are much better then some I've seen. It looks like who ever took out the engine and transmission tried to do it with out removing the cross member and as a result it was ripped out from the right side A pillar and left a big hole. For some odd reason the rust is worse on the drivers side then the passenger side

Name:	Floor Pan Rust.jpg
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	1728628

Comment

Christmas in July

Just received a couple of parts delivery. First from Steve Allen a rear window regulator and the inter trunk lower panel with corner supports (NOS). I think it goes with out saying but Steve's operation is top notch. Sent and an email asking about avaiablity got a very prompt reply, called to, confirm availability, ordered and paid. Parts at my door within several days! Bonus nicely packed in a stealth box

Name:	DSCN9058.jpg
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1728727Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9059.jpg
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	1728728Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9060.jpg
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1728729Click image for larger version

Name:	20190530_141600.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	1728730

Second delivery was from Classic Enterprises. Ordered a floor pan replacement set. This took a little longer on the delivery but they did make it known that not all parts are stocked and some will require fabrication. Over all it took just a couple of weeks. Look to be pretty close to the original with some small differences but still a lot better then having them special made. Time will tell how well they fit but that's down the road a bit.

Name:	DSCN9411.jpg
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	1728731Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9412.jpg
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	1728732Click image for larger version

Name:	PicMonkey Collage (2).jpg
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	1728733

Comment

Lost and Found

We have news about you car. We've found your parts

Good news is you have ahead start on your restoration
                        Bad news is you'll have to figure out how it goes back together

A project is the sum of all the pieces

Name:	20190530_141616.jpg
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1728763Click image for larger version

Name:	20190530_141613.jpg
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	1728764

Comment

Originally posted by S2Deluxe View Post
                          I see no reason, in the photos? You shouldn't be able to put the ones on the car, to good use?

Mark
                          Here's a good example of how looks can be deceiving. The rear fins (that are spot welded to the fender and are not fiberglass as mentioned in many articles) when removed revealed a different story.

Name:	DSCN8356.jpg
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	1728893

Doesn't look to bad

Name:	20190710_145101.jpg
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1728894
                          Fins removed on both sides and the underlying metal was paper thin. Just took a little bit of pressure with a finger to put this hole in the quarter panel.

Name:	imagejpeg_0(3).jpg
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	1728895
                          That along with the rust at the base of the back window resulted in

Name:	20190710_144442.jpg
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	1728896
                          Removing both rear quarter panels (unlike some other models the rear quarters are not bolted on)
                          Last edited by JayBird; 07-24-2019, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Name:	20190710_144244.jpg
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1728999

Making progress

Comment

A few more pictures

Name:	DSCN0997.jpg