No announcement yet.

The Project Begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The project is moving along the guys are doing a great job we hope to separate the body and frame now that most of the major repairs are done. Once separated the body will be sent out for soda blasting and then any additional rust repairs will be made prior to priming. Next up working on the frame and modifications.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pack20.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	1729379 rocker panels from Classic Enterprise installed welded up the seam/gap at the rear Click image for larger version

Name:	pack21.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1729380

Repairs made to the lower front A pillar corners both right and left sides Click image for larger version

Name:	pack22.jpg
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	1729381

Installed new floor boards from Classic Enterprise Click image for larger version

Name:	pack26.jpg
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	1729382

Had to fab up new foot/toe boards as the Classic floor/toe boards did not fit well. Click image for larger version

Name:	pack24.jpg
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	1729383

New support brackets and inner rocker panels on both sides Click image for larger version

Name:	pack25.jpg
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1729384

Comment

Great work!

Keep showing us your progress photos!!

Craig

Comment

Work look really good Kenneth! They got really good penetration on the floorboard welds. Was the cowl pillar repair section a purchased piece, or was it custom made? Looks good.

Who is doing the work on the car for you?
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
          Work look really good Kenneth! They got really good penetration on the floorboard welds. Was the cowl pillar repair section a purchased piece, or was it custom made? Looks good.

Who is doing the work on the car for you?
          Cowl repairs were fabricated by the shop. The only purchased items were the repo floor boards, rocker panels from Classic Enterprises and the NOS rear quarter panels from ebay and SI

Forged Speed in Mooresville is doing the work I'm just the banker! I was amazed at how hard it was to find a shop to do the work a lot of them acted like they were doing you a favor by even considering your project and then would only give you vague generic estimates. I guess they get a lot of people who are not serious or don't have the resources or have clients with too much money.

If I was doing the work it would take 10 times as long and, like most projects I am great at taking things apart but not always so good at getting them back together.
          Last edited by JayBird; 08-31-2019, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JayBird View Post
            If I was doing the work it would take 10 times as long and, like most projects I am great at taking things apart but not always so good at getting them back together.

Me too!
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
              Me too!
              I'm known around the community as a project starter, not a project finisher.
              Jerry Forrester
              Forrester's Chrome
              Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Body and frame separated and body is out for soda blasting. So far frame looks to be in pretty good condition. Click image for larger version  Name:	pack30.jpg Views:	0 Size:	101.2 KB ID:	1802683Up next frame work and suspension

Click image for larger version  Name:	pack33.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.2 KB ID:	1802682

Comment

Looks like a rare opportunity for the chassis (albeit less engine) to drip on its own roof!

Comment

Just got the tail light housings back from the chrome shop. A little early but just could not resist seeing something nice and shiny.

Comment

Back from being media blasted, found a few more areas of rust but nothing significant

Name:	pack34.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	1804906Click image for larger version

Name:	pack35.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	1804907

Comment

The projects progression

Name:	pack42.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1805362

Comment

I always thought if I had the frame from Studebaker made car I would add some metal to beef it up any weight added would be down low and not effect the handling. Would add to the strength and make a solid car A plate added to bottom would be the simple have considered it for my Clipper with on complete car

Comment

Originally posted by acolds View Post
                            I always thought if I had the frame from Studebaker made car I would add some metal to beef it up any weight added would be down low and not effect the handling. Would add to the strength and make a solid car A plate added to bottom would be the simple have considered it for my Clipper with on complete car
                            I believe that the '60s heavy duty sedans (taxi, police/Marshall models, and other fleet types) may have doubled up the bottom frame plates to add strength/rigidity to the frame. Hopefully someone who is much more knowledgeable on the heavy duty sedans will chime in with details.
                            Paul
                            Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	pack37.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.8 KB ID:	1806439
                              Thought I'd post a good picture of the floor pan repairs. Used the replacement floor pans from Classic Ent. They fit well on the flat part but as you can see the toe/foot board area was a different matter. The fab guys tried to make them work but just ended up cutting them off and fabricating their own foot panels. All in all it's better than starting from scratch.
                              Last edited by JayBird; 10-13-2019, 07:55 AM.

Comment

The 58 J-Bird makes it video debut. Blasted body 9-13 seconds in and frame on rack (top) 14-17 and again on the right upper corner 24-29. Hanging out with the big boys....they ain't seen nothing yet....

https://youtu.be/z4H2dJ79DsU

Comment

Working...
                                X