No announcement yet.

Studebakers In The Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a movie but an Amazon Prime series, "Marvelous Mrs Maisel"; an excellent series set in the late '50's. Not only are the costumes and sets almost spot on, in season 2 there have been a couple nice Studes in the street scenes, although I don't remember which episodes....

Comment

• wasnt there a movie with the father owned a GT Hawk? Im still scratching my head for the movie name

Comment

• Here are a bunch of Studebaker Hawks. Our 1956 is in the dark picture in the second row. It was in A Rage in Harlem movie when we owned it. I got it out of a chicken coop and restored it. We took it to a casting call one day just for fun and they loved it and picked it for the movie. Use was limited since I eventually got worried and picked it up early. We were treated great and I was on set right next to the director when they were filming it.
        Richard

Last edited by 63larkr1; 12-25-2018, 03:53 PM.
        The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

• Here's an amateur video of downtown Terre Haute IN from November 1961. At the time, Terre Haute was "the big city" across the state line 23 miles from Paris IL, where I grew up and where we still lived as of November 1961.

This video has no audio except a benign elevator-music instrumental background, so you can mute the sound and not miss anything.

Sadly (and surprisingly), I saw only two Studebakers in the whole 15-minute clip; a 1953 sedan at 2:02 and a 1958 sedan at 2:08. Being a college town, I would have expected to see at least one 1959-1961 Lark on the campus as of November 1961, but no such luck!

If you watch the clip, note the 1957 or 1958 Dodge that blows the stop sign at 5:46. I mean, there's the stop sign right in front of you and it looks like the Dodge doesn't even slow down, much less come to a stop!

This is a great color film clip of Terre Haute, Indiana in 1961. I attended Indiana State University a few years back, and it doesn't look anything like this...

BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• (Apologies if this has been posted before) Saw "The Onion Field" (1979) on one of the cable channels recently, and noticed the 57 Transtar driven by one of the character near the end of the movie. The movie is based on the real life murder of an LAPD cop and the subsequent trial of the two accused murderers Greg Powell and Jimmy Youngblood.

Click image for larger version

Name:	i367911.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	1724797

Comment

• Originally posted by KenF View Post
              (Apologies if this has been posted before) Saw "The Onion Field" (1979) on one of the cable channels recently, and noticed the 57 Transtar driven by one of the character near the end of the movie. The movie is based on the real life murder of an LAPD cop and the subsequent trial of the two accused murderers Greg Powell and Jimmy Youngblood.
              Good movie, good book by Joseph Wambaugh.
              sigpic
              Dave Lester

Comment

• His best IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by skyway View Post
                  His best IMO.
                  Firestarter is also excellent. It's the story of John Orr, the Glendale CA Fire Department Fire Inspector that set 100's of arson fires over the years.

Comment

• That must be a newer one?
                    New Centurions was a VERY big deal at the time.
                    Then as I remember his second one was full of very dark humor.
                    But after Onion Field he went pretty far afield and lost me.
                    Thanks, I'll check out Firestarter.

Comment

• Originally posted by skyway View Post
                      Then as I remember his second one was full of very dark humor.
                      Probably The Choir Boys. Didn't care for that one.
                      sigpic
                      Dave Lester

Comment

• Yup, Choir Boys it was!

Comment

• Several nights ago, TCM ran Pitfall (Regal Films: 1948). The star, Dick Powell was driving a 1947 or 1948 Land Cruiser.

Comment

• D.O.A 1949 Edmond O'Brien rented a 1949 Commander convertible
                            1936 Dictator
                            1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
                            1953 Commander Regal HT
                            1953 2R5 Pickup
                            1947 M16 Truck
                            1960 Lark VIII Convertible
                            1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
                            1962 Champ 7E5 no box
                            1962 GT Hawk
                            1963 Lark VI 4 dr
                            1963 GT Hawk R2
                            1964 Daytona Convertible
                            1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

• Saw "Mask" a while ago (that movie must've been posted her before) & there's a bullitnose sedan in it & I strongly suspect it's the same as the Muppets use, just slightly sprayed over silver/grey to make it look awfull & then they let it fall appart.
                              I just get the feeling of rusty 50-60's Opels when I see stuff like that...
                              Last edited by Noxnabaker; 03-27-2019, 01:35 AM.

Comment

• There's a Studebaker truck in the late 70's movie "Hot Rod" that's driven rough, as most cars in that film.
                                Lot of drag racing too!
                                Last edited by Noxnabaker; 03-28-2019, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X