No announcement yet.

Any SKYTOP GTs out there? UPDATE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That should be a good start to build an R1 or R2, it should have the Aluminum Cam Gear and maybe the Bearings already!

Take a look at the Piston Tops.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 01-07-2013, 04:26 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Great score Sal! I saw the ad and it looks like the GT that was here in Eureka. I remember the Skytop and passed on it years ago and wondered if its was the same Hawk?

Gordon S

Comment

Wow, the skytop really screams the European influence.

Comment

I appreciate the rarety, but the sliding roof goes to far to the rear. It would look better if it didn't cross the body line. I'm not degrading the car, just looking at the application and how it might be more pleasing to the eye.
          sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
          1950 Champion Convertible
          1950 Champion 4Dr
          1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
          1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I think the top crosses the body line on the roof cuz when it opens fully, the open part ends at about that line. The folded portion ends up behind that line. I suppose, if it were a normal sunroof, you're right, then it would be pretty ugly to have it pass over that line. Good eye.
            sals54

Comment

What's a clover leaf block and how can you tell? Nice GT I'd drive the wheels off it!

Comment

I hope you plan to get the build sheet for this car. It sounds very interesting as it's the first GT I've heard of with a Skytop, and that intall does appear 'factory' looking at the headliner.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_G View Post
                  What's a clover leaf block and how can you tell? Nice GT I'd drive the wheels off it!
                  Randy, a clover-leaf block is one that denotes an engine built to heavy-duty specifications.

It simply has a little clover leaf stamped into the machined pad where the engine's serial number is normally stamped. I'm sorry I don't have a photo to attach, but the clover leaf is about the same size as the numbers and letters you commonly see stamped on that pad.

There may or may not be other digits stamped there as well, depending on whether the engine was built for the production line or for service stock to be shipped out and used as a replacement engine. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Looks like a decent project car but put a roof on it. That one does nothing for the car. cheers jimmijim
                    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Hey jimmijim, I have to agree about the roof. I've got my Sawzall ready to cut that old hole in the roof off of there and start fresh.
                      sals54

Comment

Originally posted by laughinlark View Post
                        Great score Sal! I saw the ad and it looks like the GT that was here in Eureka. I remember the Skytop and passed on it years ago and wondered if its was the same Hawk?

Gordon S
                        Gordon, While going through the full encyclopedia of paperwork and receipts that came with the car, I found that this is indeed a car from Eureka, CA. More than likely, this is that same car.
                        sals54

Comment

Here is a picture of a clover leaf stamp on a Studebaker block. It is my understanding a clover leaf block means that it is a replacement block. Also pictured is a block with a keystone which denotes the block was heavy duty. My 1963 R1 Wagonaire has a keystone on the block and it is the original engine with the correct engine number.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Another interesting update on the GT. While going through the receipts, I found the reason for the Clover Leaf Block.
                            At 48,000 miles, in 1972, a new short block was installed as part of a major overhaul which included generator, carb, clutch, valve job etc etc. In 1972 dollars, he spent $900 on the rebuild.

New update: At 96,000 miles, in 1980, another engine rebuild was done. Bored .10, new clutch and pressure plate, carb overhauled again, and starter rebuilt. 1980 dollars, he spent $1,700 on the rebuild.

New new update: At unknown mileage, in 1994, another engine rebuild was done. Full master kit of pistons, crank, cam, timing etc etc. 1994 dollars, he spent $2600 on the rebuild.

There's a pile of receipts from the decades of ownership that amount to many thousands of dollars, starting in the 60s.

Now, he is either quite meticulous about his engines, or he drives the bejeebers out of his car and destroys an engine in far fewer miles than I ever have. All I know is that the car right now runs very well and I'm hoping to keep it that way.
                            sals54

Comment

The factory offered the Skytop on all cars - never seen one on a GT Hawk (or any Hawk) - WOW! That makes a BIG hole!

Would have to say, I am jealous!

Drew

Comment

Originally posted by 58PackardWagon View Post
                                Certainly looks like the roof in my Lark

Which year Lark, has the sunroof? And, what is it (Regal, Custom, Daytona)?

Drew

Comment

Working...
                                X