Clear All

• Click image for larger version

Name:	;;.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	1714033..............

Comment

• Originally posted by Studedude View Post
      Hitting the road in their trusty '41...LOVE IT!

Comment

• (copy #1)

At Cleveland, OH 1957 Note: The Bultman family Studebaker in foreground.
        (Photo by Fred Bultman IV from the Fred Bultman V collection)

(copy #2)
        Built by the American Ship Building Co. of Lorain, OH as hull # 338. Launched on February 11, 1911 as WILLIAM C. AGNEW for the Buffalo Steamship Co. managed by John Mitchell of Cleveland, OH. Dimensions: 557’ loa x 58’ beam x 31’ depth; 6,533 GRT, 4,985 NRT. Powered by a 1,760 ihp triple expansion steam engine and three coal-fired Scotch marine boilers built by the shipyard.

The vessel was sold to American Steamship Co. managed by Boland and Cornelius of Buffalo, NY in 1922 and in 1926 was renamed GEORGE F. RAND. In 1936 she was converted to a self-unloader by the American Ship Building Co. at Lorain, OH. New tonnage: 7,210 GRT, 6,350 NRT. On October 17, 1951, at 3:17 a.m. the HARVEY H. BROWN collided with the GEORGE F. RAND in the St. Clair River just below the Huron Cut in fog. Both ships were heavily damaged in the collision. The RAND was in the most danger, and she was beached, facing upriver on the U.S. side, near the mouth of the Black River. She soon settled to the bottom with a 10-degree list to starboard. There was danger that her cargo of silica sand would shift and cause the RAND to roll over onto her starboard side but, fortunately, this did not occur. The USCG cutter ACACIA assisted at first with pumping on the RAND, which managed to keep steam up as her machinery spaces were not flooded. Eventually it was decided that a salvage company would have to be called in to raise the RAND. McQueen Marine Ltd., of Amherstburg, Ont. was called to the scene and, after about a week of work, McQueen was successful in raising the steamer. After discharging her sand cargo at Port Huron, the RAND was taken to the shipyard at Toledo, where her damage was repaired. The HARVEY H. BROWN had already proceeded to a Lake Erie port to discharge her cargo and proceeded to the shipyard for repairs to her bow. (1951 collision with the HARVEY H. BROWN information provided by Ron Beaupre courtesy of The Toronto Marine Historical Society)

In 1954 the vessel was again renamed to BEN W. CALVIN.

She was towed down the Welland Canal on April 12, 1974 by the tugs G. W. ROGERS and SALVAGE MONARCH. The BEN W. CALVIN departed Quebec in tandem tow with the JACK WIRT by the Polish tug LORAL and arrived in early June 1974 at Valencia, Spain for scrapping.

Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 06-14-2017, 12:30 PM.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

• sigpic
          Dave Lester

Comment

• sigpic
            Dave Lester

Comment

• sigpic
              Dave Lester

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	;.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1714035.............

Comment

• Regarding post #9053, I do love the stories out there behind the pics. Thanks Jeff!

Comment

• Ditto Post #9058, Jeff. Thanks. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• sigpic
                      Dave Lester

Comment

• Originally posted by spokejr View Post
                        Regarding post #9053, I do love the stories out there behind the pics. Thanks Jeff!
                        Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                        Ditto Post #9058, Jeff. Thanks. BP
                        Count me in!!! I'm impressed with the overall maritime community. Not sure if there is many other human activities that carry such devotion, loyalty, and record keeping. Whether in the service of a country's Navy, or just an everyday seaman, there is a memory, and a connection that bonds a seaman to the sea, and craft(s) on which they sail. When I joined the Air Force, it was merely a whistle stop on life's journey into the future. While I learned a lot, matured (somewhat), and have some great memories, I quickly put it behind me and moved on. Sailors can name their ships, ship mates, mission cruise names, ports, etc., I have no comparable lifelong affinity for any aircraft, or machinery encountered while in the Air force.

The availability of history recounting this otherwise, "blue collar" workhorse is a good case in point. While it is easy to think of such names as Titanic, "Old Ironsides" (USS Constitution), HMS Bounty, Yorktown, etc., it seems that "true" sailors retain the same kind of connection to their craft, no matter how forgettable to us "land lubbers."
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

• Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser
                          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

• Joe Roberts
                            '61 R1 Champ
                            '65 Cruiser