• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

• HO HO HO. From the December 22, 2016 Hendricks County [IN] Republican newspaper:

(Now before anybody gets their panties in a wad about politics, know that The Hendricks County Republican has been published since about ten years before the current-day Republican political party was established; there is no connection.)

Considering that photo: I figured the subject 1958 Studebaker Commander Provincial station wagon had to be a rare bird. It is. I did some 'ciphering from information about model year production and state-by-state registrations from my 1962 Automotive News Almanac.

I determined that, of 44,759 1958 model year Studebakers produced, 6.21% of them remained in Indiana; 2,779 cars.

1958 Provincial wagon production totaled 2,412, or 5.39% of all 1958 Studebakers built. So if 5.39% of the 2,779 1958 Studebakers that remained in Indiana were Provincial station wagons, it means that the car in that photograph was 1 of only 150 1958 Provincial wagons in Indiana. Wow!

That address (115 S. Washington Street) hasn't been a car dealership for some time, but you can tell it was. It looks like "Dutch" Stuart at least had a Mercury franchise, but Danville would have been awfully small to support a Mercury-only dealership at that time. (I do not know if "Dutch" was related to the more famous Charlie Stuart dealership owner in adjoining Indianapolis, owner of Charlie Stuart Oldsmobile and Charlie Stuart Studebaker, although the Stuart spelling is the same.) BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        HO HO HO. From the December 22, 2016 Hendricks County [IN] Republican newspaper:

(Now before anybody gets their panties in a wad about politics, know that The Hendricks County Republican has been published since about ten years before the current-day Republican political party was established; there is no connection.)
        The first Republican candidate for president (1856) was John C. Fremont. He lost to Democrat James Buchanan.

The second Republican candidate for President (1860) was Abraham Lincoln.

I looked on Google Earth, the building at 115 S. Washington Street is extant.

The long time Studebaker dealer in Santa Monica CA was Loren Short, his brother Claude was the Dodge dealer.

Comment

• sigpic
          Dave Lester

Comment

• sigpic
            Dave Lester

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by WinM1895 View Post
                    The first Republican candidate for president (1856) was John C. Fremont. He lost to Democrat James Buchanan.

The second Republican candidate for President (1860) was Abraham Lincoln.

I looked on Google Earth, the building at 115 S. Washington Street is extant.

The long time Studebaker dealer in Santa Monica CA was Loren Short, his brother Claude was the Dodge dealer.
                    Right, Bill; The Hendricks County Republican newspaper has been published continuously since 1847!

I'd have to check, but I think 115 S. Washington Street is now a florist, although I didn't pay attention the last time I was out in Danville. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• sigpic
                      Dave Lester

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	1953.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	17116871953 Paris Auto show

Comment

• Pasadena, CA
                          Joe Roberts