Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Golden Hawk 400 ideas. Clone? Engineering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:My dream car is a '57 Golden Hawk 400
    With overdrive and a 3.90 TwinTraction !

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
    PackardV8

Comment

Starlight. The 10 Show Car "400" were all equipped the same and all painted the same.(Tiara Gold with Arctic White fin and side grilles). All had power windows. You could order the "production" 400's to your own taste. I believe several of the productions cars had sticks/OD.

Comment

Howe (Aero Blue) is correct if "several" means two...and I guess it would, since 2 (of the 41 production 400s) is 4.9%!

Seriously, only two [production] Golden Hawk 400s had overdrive: #12, which was solid Tiara Gold, and; #19, which was Midnight Black and Arctic White. (All 10 pre-production Show Cars had Flightomatic.)

I had forgotten that Tom Lawlis' supplied me with all 51 Golden Hawk 400 Serial Numbers some time ago, but just now looked them up.

Dylan, if you will post the subject car's serial number, I will confirm if it is (or is not) one of the 1957 Golden Hawk 400s. [8D]BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

j.byrd. Do you have a serial number for your GH. All Golden Hawks had 57HK7 on the body tag. Body number 2761 was definitly on the line in February of 1957. But to have been one of the "400's" it would have to have been Tiara Gold/Arctic White since all 10 show cars were alike. Of the 10 Show Cars, only two serial numbers are in sequence and the body number also are not in sequence as my car was the lowest serial number but car number 7 which has a serial number 25+ higher than mine has the next higher body number than mine. So without a serial number, it is anybody's guess? The first production "400" in the SNM has a final assembly date of 4/26/57 and has body number 3724. The first Black "400" had a final assembly date of May 10, 1957 and I would think a body number alot higher than 2761.

Comment

Mr.Woods; trust me, I REALLY want to! [8D]

Mr.Vines; I'd love that set up, but I can live with any! HAHA!!

Dylan Wills
            [IMG][/IMG]
            '61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
            Dylan Wills
            Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
            1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
            1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
            1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Thanks for the offer, but I already contacted Mr.Lawlis m'self. Thats how I found out this car is too early supposidly to be a show car, OR a production car.[:0]

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Howe (Aero Blue) is correct if "several" means two...and I guess it would, since 2 (of the 41 production 400s) is 4.9%!

Seriously, only two [production] Golden Hawk 400s had overdrive: #12, which was solid Tiara Gold, and; #19, which was Midnight Black and Arctic White. (All 10 pre-production Show Cars had Flightomatic.)

I had forgotten that Tom Lawlis' supplied me with all 51 Golden Hawk 400 Serial Numbers some time ago, but just now looked them up.

Dylan, if you will post the subject car's serial number, I will confirm if it is (or is not) one of the 1957 Golden Hawk 400s. [8D]BP
              Dylan Wills
              [IMG][/IMG]
              Dylan Wills
              Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
              1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Possible, but this car is in eastern Washington; and he got the car in Oregon.[B)]

quote:Originally posted by j.byrd

Dylan, my 400 series Hawk was sold several years back and parted out here in Alabama. I still have my body tag:57H-K7
                The doors were sold, but interior still in it - - -perhaps he got mine?? 2761
                It was black with the white leather, power windows, that fabulous looking hoodscoop, (which I put on my SkyHawk), supercharger, etc. Wish I had known then what I had, it was VERY restorable. Neat cars, and I only have a couple of very poor pics of it- - oh well. Life goes on, John
                Dylan Wills
                [IMG][/IMG]
                Dylan Wills
                Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                1914 Ford Model T

Comment

I don't want to post the full serial # here, but it starts with a 6; if that gives any idea. Its not my car, and I don't know if the owner would like it posted here. He is a lurker a+s well, so maybe he will chime in here with more details on the car.

All I know is this: If I got this one, or any other '57 G.H, I wouldn't ask for another stude. For awhile anyways, LOL! I'd love to see people's faces when a 50+ year old car leaves them sitting at a stop light, LOL!

Dylan Wills
                  [IMG][/IMG]
                  Dylan Wills
                  Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                  1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Aeroblue, sorry sir, I don't have the serial number. One thing I noticed in the pics above, that car does not look to have the big, long, fiberglass scoop that ours did. Mine had some little chrome "hash mark" type chrome things in each of the side grills too, if that makes a difference. I went by the house that my car went to a few years back and the folks there did not know about any Studebakers or the previous tenants. Don't know any thing to further the research, I sold the doors to an SDC member in Huntsville, Al., the body to the mystery gent in Athens, Al., (not an SDC member), and the supercharger parts to another SDC'er in Huntsville, and I put the hood and right front fender on my Sky Hawk. Hardly anyone noticed, but the fender lights were at slightly different locations fore and aft on the Sky verses the Golden. I left them like that even after we painted it just to see if anyone would notice. I don't remember more than one or two ever mentioning it- -fun at shows especially when they were being so picky about close tie breakers. Sorry about the S/N, John

Comment

It looks like it has a '56 era hood on it. Since there is a different color paint coming through the white on the hood, it may have been a replacement, like if the corners buckled or something on the original. Thanks for pointing that out!

Dylan Wills
                      [IMG][/IMG]
                      Dylan Wills
                      Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                      1914 Ford Model T

Comment

I owned a 1957 Golden Hawk "400" in the early 1990's - documented by the production order - and it had the tan leather interior. I wasn't sure from the above discussion if it was believed that all Studebaker "400"s were white leather. Power windows and seat, too. Russ Farris

1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                        1964 Avanti R-1 Auto
                        1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                        1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Nollie Hinton had an unrestored (but needing it badly) GH 400 just a couple of years ago. Not sure who bought it or where it ended up. Maybe Steve H. will see this and can tell us.

Comment

I remember two Golden Hawks that had a leather interior added to them in New England alone.

Without the proper hood overlay (and hole in the standard hood), there wouldn't be clearance for the supercharger (without modification).

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks for the other thoughts guys! It does have a late block and heads set up on it, so it might have had a little engine modification.

Dylan Wills
                              Everett, Wa.

Dylan Wills
                              Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                              1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Mr.Palma, you wouldn't happen to have the serial #'s of the 3 400 look alikes would you?

Dylan Wills
                                Everett, Wa.

Dylan Wills
                                Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                                1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Working...
                                X