'63 R/2 Hawk Mag Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '63 R/2 Hawk Mag Wheels

I've been looking at the Read Rodders Halibrand 7011 reproduction wheel, for my black '63 R/2 Hawk, for quite some time, but they are expensive at ~ $1,200.00 + Shipping. I also looked at the American Racing 5 Kidney Bean, but they're out of production. The PS Engineering Grand Sport looks pretty good, but I don't know the price yet. I think the cheapest option to get a decent Mag that looks period correct is the Magnum 500, which I can get for $707.16 shipped. Cragers might work, but they don't have the same look as the ones I've mentioned. I'd really like the Halibrand 7011s, but I don't know i f I want to spend that much.

Any recommendations I might have overlooked and what do you think of my choices?

Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel 1.jpg
Views:	1304
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	1816870https://www.wheelsforless.com/VN5025...BoC5MsQAvD_BwE

Comment

JayBird: Those are a bit like the American Racing ones that are out of production.

Comment

Several years ago the Halibrand 7011 wheels were $350 each + shipping. Depending on distance shipped one would have $1400 + shipping + spinners (were $50 each). So, one would have approximately $1800 or so in a set. Shipping is surprisingly expensive.
        -Dwight

Comment

Dwight: Yep, they're expensive, which is why I've been looking for a similar type of mag that's less $$$.

Comment

Those wheels in post 2 are out of stock also. Is the old car market really that bad these days?
            '64 R2 back on da road again

Comment

Well, the Magnum 500s are easy to find - Summit Racing stocks them. I'm just not sure how they'll look on a Hawk.

Comment

The PS Engineering wheels are too wide, so they're out.

What about the American Racing Torque-Thrust D? They're $100.00 ea:

Click image for larger version  Name:	American Racing Torq-Thrust D.png Views:	0 Size:	29.3 KB ID:	1816897
                Last edited by High_Noon; 01-13-2020, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Name:	A61403F4-7C06-47A5-BC3E-894F77BE64CF.jpeg
Views:	1385
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	1816905 These are Rocket wheels on our ‘59. Reasonable cost.
                  1950 Commander Land Cruiser
                  1951 Champion Business Coupe
                  1951 Commander Starlight
                  1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
                  1953 Champion Starlight
                  1953 Commander Starliner
                  1953 2R5
                  1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
                  1957 Silver Hawk
                  1957 3E5 Pick-Up
                  1959 Silver Hawk
                  1961 Hawk
                  1962 Cruiser 4 speed
                  1963 Daytona Convertible
                  1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
                  1965 Cruiser
                  1970 Avanti

Comment

^ Those wheels have a strong resemblance to Radir wheels (as seen on the TV Batmobile).
                    As such, the design looks right at home on your finned Hawk!

Andy
                    62 GT

Comment

Originally posted by drrotor View Post
                      These are Rocket wheels on our ‘59. Reasonable cost.
                      Your Rocket wheels look a lot like Radir wheels, which would also be period correct. Both the TV Batmobile and the Munster Koach had Radir wheels.

Lou Van Anne has Magnum 500's on his '64 GT, maybe he'll read this and popst a pic. It looks good, many cars from other makers came from the factory with them so they look like a stock "styled" wheel to me.

I've always liked the Torque Thrust, and was looking at them for my GT, then the shiney Torque Thrust 2 caught my eye. Both are cheap to reasonably priced depending on size. I ended up with 2018 Mustang (17"x 7.5") wheels. I got them (with the tires) super cheap so figured "why not try them". I really like the way the car looks with them, even though they're not period correct; but neither is a lot of the car.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1058a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	127.9 KB ID:	1816916

Comment

Rocket has some good-looking wheels. I like this one:

Name:	Rocket Ignighter.jpg
Views:	1113
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	1816977
                        Last edited by High_Noon; 01-14-2020, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by High_Noon View Post

What about the American Racing Torque-Thrust D? They're $100.00 ea:

Click image for larger version Name:	American Racing Torq-Thrust D.png Views:	0 Size:	29.3 KB ID:	1816897
                          Just about the most classic look for a period correct 1960's hot rod. Relatively common, but you really can't go wrong. Available in just about any diameter, width and offset.
                          Last edited by Dick Steinkamp; 01-14-2020, 04:33 PM.
                          Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

• Rafe Hollister
                            Rafe Hollister commented
                            Editing a comment
                            The TorqueThrust Ds come in limited sizes, last I checked. The TorqueThrust 2s come in huge selection of sizes. they show a little less rim and a little more spoke.

What offset do I need for my Hawk?

Comment

Originally posted by High_Noon View Post
                            What offset do I need for my Hawk?
                            It's a 3D puzzle. Wheel diameter, wheel width, tire footprint, tire aspect ratio, wheel offset (backspacing), ride height. They all are part of the equation.
                            Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                            X