No announcement yet.

'63 R/2 Hawk Mag Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems like a lot of money to have a car look like every other car at the cruise in. I just use what ever Studebaker hub cap that I like best.

Comment

Since I was going to disc brakes, I could not use the stock wheels. I went with some used Torque Thrust that fits the "patina" of my car. A real good reason not to have a cherry car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PA050833.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	1817028

$300 for the whole set. I didn't put on the center caps on yet.

Comment

Dick Steinkamp: Well, that certainly doesn’t make things any easier.

jd-stude: I agree with you, which is why I like the reproduction Halibrands. I currently have correct wheel covers mounted on off-white power-coated steel wheels. The reason I want to get new wheels is because I have two Dodge wheels and 2 Ford wheels. If I decide not to spend the cash for the Hallibrands, I need to figure out what to get that will look decent on the Hawk - at a minimum cost.

Topper2011: I’m thinking of doing a Turner Brake conversion, so that’s a consideration as well.

Comment

I'd like to see a photo of a Hawk w/ the GT 500 wheels.

Comment

This is Lou Van Anne's '64

Name:	Lou van anne GT crop.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	1817159
            Last edited by bensherb; 01-16-2020, 02:08 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

Pretty good price on these on CL

https://ventura.craigslist.org/wtd/d...054284095.html

Comment

bensherb: Thanks. Those look quite good on the Hawk.

Topper2011: Thanks, but I'm in TX. I was planning on getting a 15X6" wheel - not sure of the offset yet.

Comment

In my opinion the Gt hawks look best with the wire wheels. Followed by the gt 500s. It's hard to beat the stock hub caps with the proper white walls
                  Attached Files

Comment

FWIW, I purchased Magnum 500s several years ago for one of the Avantis. They are very heavy steel wheels and easily rust. Of course, the newer ones may be better.
                    78 Avanti RQB 2792
                    64 Avanti R1 R5408
                    63 Avanti R1 R4551
                    63 Avanti R1 R2281
                    62 GT Hawk V15949
                    56 GH 6032504
                    56 GH 6032588
                    55 Speedster 7160047
                    55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                      In my opinion the Gt hawks look best with the wire wheels. Followed by the gt 500s. It's hard to beat the stock hub caps with the proper white walls
                      So, something like this? The way my car was the first several years I had it . I find wire wheels tacky on anything that didn't come from the factory with them.

Name:	20160510_104913.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	1817206
                      sigpic

Comment

Steel wheels that have been powder-coated with the proper off-white color and correct wheel covers in good condition do look pretty danged good. I guess I could get two more steel wheels and match either the 2 Dodge or 2 Ford wheels I have. That would certainly be the cheapest option. But those 7011 Halibrand repos sure are sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post

Just about the most classic look for a period correct 1960's hot rod. Relatively common, but you really can't go wrong. Available in just about any diameter, width and offset.
                          Torque Thrust look good but the backspace on a 15 X 7 is 3 3/4. For rear clearance you need at least 4 " backspace or better yet 4 1/4". If you can get Torque Thrust wheels in 15 X 6 it should not be a problem. By the way. Cragar SS wheels look good on a Hawk especially if it is a dark color. Standard backspace on Cragar SS 15 X 7 is 4". You can special order a custom backspace. A friend with a 60 Lark has 15 X 8 Cragar SS wheels with 5 3/8" backspace and the tires clear the fenders in the rear. He has 7's on the front.
                          james r pepper

Comment

pepper: Thanks. Cragar SS wheels are certainly ubiquitous. My Hawk is black and I am indeed going to get a 15"x6". Thanks for the info on backspacing,

Comment

Originally posted by High_Noon View Post
                              bensherb: Thanks. Those look quite good on the Hawk.

Topper2011: Thanks, but I'm in TX. I was planning on getting a 15X6" wheel - not sure of the offset yet.
                              IIRC, the back spacing on my Torque Thrust is 3 3/4" They clear the Turner brakes and the tie rods without issue. The rims are 15 x 6 and came off a 65 Falcon and included the lug nuts and caps. I fitted 215/75 x 15's.

Comment

Topper2011: Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                                X