radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by 1950Champ

We recently got an original radio for our 1950 Studebaker off ebay, it currently doesn't work, tubes glow etc. but no sound at all.
    If you're at all handy with electronics, soldering, etc., you can make your radio work. What's happened is that all the old paper-type electrolytic capacitors have dried out. Re-cap the radio and you'll have sound again!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 1950Champ

We recently got an original radio for our 1950 Studebaker off ebay, it currently doesn't work, tubes glow etc. but no sound at all.
      If you're at all handy with electronics, soldering, etc., you can make your radio work. What's happened is that all the old paper-type electrolytic capacitors have dried out. Re-cap the radio and you'll have sound again!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
      '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Where would I get replacements? I would love to get it working again, also the car has been converted to 12v, how should I hook it up to power? (it is currently hooked up to a few c-cells under the glovebox so it can light up)

Comment

Where would I get replacements? I would love to get it working again, also the car has been converted to 12v, how should I hook it up to power? (it is currently hooked up to a few c-cells under the glovebox so it can light up)

Comment

1950Champ try this link -
            Electro-Tech, Inc. is a custom electronics shop serving the classic car and hot rod hobby specializing in classic auto radios and classic car speakers.

They say they can restore old car radios and are worth a go to see about yours.

John Clements
            Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
            Lockleys South Australia
            John Clements
            Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

1950Champ try this link -
              Electro-Tech, Inc. is a custom electronics shop serving the classic car and hot rod hobby specializing in classic auto radios and classic car speakers.

They say they can restore old car radios and are worth a go to see about yours.

John Clements
              Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
              Lockleys South Australia
              John Clements
              Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

For Radio repair I recommend this guy!!! He's listed on Turners brake page and he just recently repaired a radio for me.
                SDC member and allround helpful honest guy.

Harry Alenik Radio Repair

310 643-8100

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
                57 SH (project)
                60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                57 SH (project)

Comment

For Radio repair I recommend this guy!!! He's listed on Turners brake page and he just recently repaired a radio for me.
                  SDC member and allround helpful honest guy.

Harry Alenik Radio Repair

310 643-8100

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
                  57 SH (project)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                  53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                  57 SH (project)

Comment

I put a four speaker system into my '60 Hawk. I cut two new holes in the rear shelf for 5"X9" speakers. Rather than the old cardboard cover on the shelf, I just glued some of the el-cheapo auto carpet over the top. The weave is open enough that it doesn't effect the sound output. I sure didn't feel like chopping up the new material on my door panels as well as the doors, I was able to mount two 5" speakers under the dash. They point downward which isn't acoustically, but they work adequately without destroying a new interior. The right one attaches to the metal rail that supports the dash and I'd have to look to see where I mounted the left one. However, I do know the left one was more difficult because of little space. Instead of using screws to hold the front speakers in place, I used zip ties. They hold securely and if you don't like where they speaker is at, just cut them and reposition them elsewhere. A 4 speaker stereo system really sounds good compared to the old monaural two speaker deal.

Comment

I put a four speaker system into my '60 Hawk. I cut two new holes in the rear shelf for 5"X9" speakers. Rather than the old cardboard cover on the shelf, I just glued some of the el-cheapo auto carpet over the top. The weave is open enough that it doesn't effect the sound output. I sure didn't feel like chopping up the new material on my door panels as well as the doors, I was able to mount two 5" speakers under the dash. They point downward which isn't acoustically, but they work adequately without destroying a new interior. The right one attaches to the metal rail that supports the dash and I'd have to look to see where I mounted the left one. However, I do know the left one was more difficult because of little space. Instead of using screws to hold the front speakers in place, I used zip ties. They hold securely and if you don't like where they speaker is at, just cut them and reposition them elsewhere. A 4 speaker stereo system really sounds good compared to the old monaural two speaker deal.

Comment

I have a CD changer in my 52 ragtop, 6 volt POs. ground! I had my radio converted to am/fm by Turnswitch, and they did a great job. I also had them install the 2nd converter for the cd changer, and don't ask me how a 12 v neg ground cd changer works with a 6 volt pos. ground system, but it does, only 1 speaker, but who cares! Still sound great, and I'm very pleased with their work and quality.

Jim
                        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                        their Memorials!

Comment

I have a CD changer in my 52 ragtop, 6 volt POs. ground! I had my radio converted to am/fm by Turnswitch, and they did a great job. I also had them install the 2nd converter for the cd changer, and don't ask me how a 12 v neg ground cd changer works with a 6 volt pos. ground system, but it does, only 1 speaker, but who cares! Still sound great, and I'm very pleased with their work and quality.

Jim
                          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                          their Memorials!

Comment

Just to clarify, Bud Alenik does repairs on the stock radios, and is an electrical wizard! He does not do am/fm conversions! If yo need a stock radio, distributor (he has a Sun Dist. machine at home and KNOWS how to use it) or Carb. work he is a wizard!

Jim

their Memorials!

Comment

Just to clarify, Bud Alenik does repairs on the stock radios, and is an electrical wizard! He does not do am/fm conversions! If yo need a stock radio, distributor (he has a Sun Dist. machine at home and KNOWS how to use it) or Carb. work he is a wizard!

Jim

their Memorials!

Comment

My '61 Lark Cruiser already had an after-market AM-FM cassette in place when I got it, but no antenna, and just that one original speaker that came with the original AM radio, plus two after-market 4-6 speakers hidden on the front kick panels, almost underneath the dash. They're either not hooked up, or blown, since they don't work. I took it in to a car audio place to have them check it out for putting in a modern stereo, since the old radio is gone, anyway. I've got the original AM radio that came with my '51 Champion, but the seller said it doesn't work. I'll try to pursuade my father, who used to mess around a lot with old radios and TVs, to try and fix it, so I can keep that car as original as possible.

pitbulllady

Comment

Working...
                                X