Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ah the dreamers of the world..................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawklover
    replied
    Looks to be
    Originally posted by harry View Post
    Is this car missing the glass headlight covers?

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
    One I partly restored, Frame on, bought 59K last year. It was an automatic with AC car. Don't poo-poo rising values because it prices you out of the hobby.
    I wonder if the seller of this 1957 Golden Hawk was also a 'dreamer'. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...15-Philly-Sale

He did well, despite it not being 100% 'correct' like this Avanti being offered at half the price.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• harry
    replied
    Is this car missing the glass headlight covers?

Leave a comment:

• Hawklover
    replied
    That car belongs to Bruce and Pat Slifer.
    Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
    The familiar Volume 10,#3 Automobile Quarterly shows a white Avanti with fender-mounted mirrors, but the less expensive Stratoline style.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• Hawklover
    replied
    Look close........missing the original a/c carpeted side panels, the trans x-member is bent, incorrect alternator, whats with the wiper switch?

- - - Updated - - -

Then they failed:-(
    Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
    Maybe it wasn't a matter of NEEDING, but more of WANTING to bring it to a higher standard ?

Leave a comment:

• nels
    replied
    Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
    So Nils, would you pay 48K for this ride?? The term well done is a relative term, and as such is open to "interpretation". For 48K the car demands to be as it left the factory in as close to new condition as physically possible.
    No, I wouldn't.

Leave a comment:

• Hawklover
    replied
    So Nils, would you pay 48K for this ride?? The term well done is a relative term, and as such is open to "interpretation". For 48K the car demands to be as it left the factory in as close to new condition as physically possible.
    Originally posted by nels View Post
    I agree with you Dwight. I think the car has been modified to the owner's taste. Not knocking it as it was done well and looks as an effort to look like the later transition cars with the all black interior. The door panel pleats look a little funny, the black radio knobs are 66 Stude, the seats appear to be leather but it looks as if the pockets in the lower seat cushions next to the bolsters are no longer there but I could be wrong. I wouldn't be embarrassed to own it but wouldn't be broadcasting it's totally correct restoration.

Leave a comment:

• nels
    replied
    Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post
    One other thing: This car has a 160-MPH speedometer, used only on R2 & R3 Avantis. An R1 car should have a 140-MPH speedometer. I agree with all the observations others have made. To me the car looks like it has been modified to the owner's taste.
    -Dwight
    I agree with you Dwight. I think the car has been modified to the owner's taste. Not knocking it as it was done well and looks as an effort to look like the later transition cars with the all black interior. The door panel pleats look a little funny, the black radio knobs are 66 Stude, the seats appear to be leather but it looks as if the pockets in the lower seat cushions next to the bolsters are no longer there but I could be wrong. I wouldn't be embarrassed to own it but wouldn't be broadcasting it's totally correct restoration.

Leave a comment:

• 64studeavanti
    replied
    Many things don't look right. For example, the tach shows 800 rpm, the oil pressure 20, the vacuum 0, and the temp gauge barely registers. It does look like the key is in the run position. I suppose the gauges may not be working correctly. In any case it does seem like a high price for what I would consider a #3 driver at best.

Leave a comment:

• sals54
    replied
    Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post
    One other thing: This car has a 160-MPH speedometer, used only on R2 & R3 Avantis. An R1 car should have a 140-MPH speedometer. I agree with all the observations others have made. To me the car looks like it has been modified to the owner's taste.
    -Dwight
    Unless that 160 was a dealer/factory replacement for one which was broken ??? Studebaker did lots of different things for customers.

Leave a comment:

• Dwight FitzSimons
    replied
    -Dwight

Leave a comment:

• sals54
    replied
    Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
    Sal IMHO, those that collect cars strictly to speculate, seriously damage the hobby with escalating prices, often shutting out those who would want the same car to purchase, hold, and enjoy for a good number of years....yes I realize many variables can be in play here, but just how I personally feel.
    Yeah, yer probably right, but they are here nonetheless. Worst case scenario is those speculators will cause the value of your poor ole Avanti triple in value. Now that would be a cryin shame...

Leave a comment:

• Hawklover
    replied
    One additional thing......my uncle was in the automotive/truck interior business for over 50 years, taking over the business from his father.......I grew up in that shop and can tell you one thing, my uncle would never do seats like I see in this car.......look at the folds on the material, that should have been adjusted with a steam wand and hand manipulation, other things that others have pointed out bother me as well......instrument cluster overlay, steering wheel.......dash, roll bar cover et al.........I do not want to pick the car to death.......and I could........point being as I previously mentioned for 48K dollars the car "should" be almost perfect.......oh for Champ and the others: Cugine=cousin, Scarole=money (shortened from Escarole being "green") Ciao=short informal way to say goodby, Arrivederci would be the formal way. To all those reading this I say Grazie mille, or in English...a thousand thanks:-)

Leave a comment:

• 63t-cab
    replied
    Maybe it wasn't a matter of NEEDING, but more of WANTING to bring it to a higher standard ?

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    These kind of offerings really make you wonder, How it is that a 22,000 Mile Car would need all the Upholstery ripped out and replaced with Leather (if it IS) plus all the Interior Trim Panels on the Dash, Console etc. re-painted or re-covered in flat Black ruining the Original Finish, and a "Restoration" done to everything probably including Paint?

Sure I understand that it's 54 Years old, but what kind of care would it have to have had to destroy EVERYTHING, probably including the Engine in only 22,000 Miles?

Leave a comment:

• TWChamp
    replied
    Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    "cugine", "scarole", "Ciao"! ???????????
    Have you forgotten that the last I checked,
    this is still the United States of America, and our Language is English!
    I'm still living in the Studebaker age, and don't understand those words either.

I also don't understand a low mileage car needing a complete restoration.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X