Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ah the dreamers of the world..................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott
    replied
    I wonder how it got five doors...
    If you include the hood, trunk and gas filler door maybe?

Leave a comment:

• 64studeavanti
    replied
    I thought about the few 'black' cars also. However, I believe it is too early a serial number. I have R4551, ordered on 5/27/63, which has the BKV option. Dinoc panels, wood graon steering wheel, round control knobs etc.

I don't know if mine is one of the ones with bad dinoc, but I do know that the bkv option was where they started testing it. FWIW, it has round headlight openings and all black interior.

I believe the one in question has too early a serial number to be one of the painted black panel cars.

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    It seems to be getting very common lately for especially Classic Car Lot "Flippers", to actually BELIEVE that the High Quality low gloss Vinyls on '63 to '66 Studebakers is actually LEATHER, so I guess this could be still another case of just that.
    I find that with ANY make of car with a vinyl interior. Arguably, the worst offender has to be used Mercedes Benzes for sale. True, many of them did have genuine leather, but a good many did not, having what Mercedes called "M-B Tex" hard wearing vinyl.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• Bob Langer
    replied
    R-3842 was built in March, 1963.

The all Black interior became available in May, 1963.

The first Avanti with the all Black interior is R-4130, Egbert's Avanti.

The first Avanti with the Black steering wheel and dash trim is R-4654, built in June, 1963.

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    The familiar Volume 10,#3 Automobile Quarterly shows a white Avanti with fender-mounted mirrors, but the less expensive Stratoline style.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Mirrors on most 1960's Cars were NOT Standard, so a Dealer or an Owner could place the Side View Mirrors wherever he or she liked, and buy some kind of Mirror at the Dealer, Pep Boys, Sears Roebuck, Montgomery Wards or Western Auto.

They were only Factory installed on request and rarely were. The common sense answer is, without the New Owner IN the Car, there is no way to be sure they would be usable!

On Avantis however, Studebaker did promote that Model of Accessory Studebaker Mirror for the Avanti, and did show pictures with them where possibly Raymond Loewy liked them. Dumb idea though, since their USE is questionable at that distance.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 12-11-2017, 05:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bumpkinvilledano
    replied
    I like it a lot, but have a question;

I believe this is the first Avanti I have seen where the rear view mirrors are mounted on the fenders. Was this a factory installation?

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    OK, since it does have a Black Steering Wheel, there is a chance that the Black Trim Panels came that way.
    It says it is Serial # R3842, does anyone know the Serials with that limited time Trim?
    However it does not explain the "Restoration" on a 22,000 Mile Car.

It seems to be getting very common lately for especially Classic Car Lot "Flippers", to actually BELIEVE that the High Quality low gloss Vinyls on '63 to '66 Studebakers is actually LEATHER, so I guess this could be still another case of just that.

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    These kind of offerings really make you wonder, How it is that a 22,000 Mile Car would need all the Upholstery ripped out and replaced with Leather (if it IS) plus all the Interior Trim Panels on the Dash, Console etc. re-painted or re-covered in flat Black ruining the Original Finish, and a "Restoration" done to everything probably including Paint?
    I don't want to jump to conclusions on the interior just yet. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-(July-1-1963)

There was a window where cars with black interior would receive a black steering wheel and dash trim. This car could be one of them.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• bezhawk
    replied
    Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
    Sal IMHO, those that collect cars strictly to speculate, seriously damage the hobby with escalating prices, often shutting out those who would want the same car to purchase, hold, and enjoy for a good number of years....yes I realize many variables can be in play here, but just how I personally feel.
    One I partly restored, Frame on, bought 59K last year. It was an automatic with AC car. Don't poo-poo rising values because it prices you out of the hobby. The current financial climate of the middle class precludes expensive hobbies. Stupid things like food and shelter take precedence.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Forrester
    replied
    OK, I get it, that was just a personal message that should have been in a PM.
    Well, I must say, never ever having been to Brooklyn, I have no idea what he was saying either. Of course I'm just a dumb ole southern boy, born and raised in the great state of Aladambama. And educated in their government schools. At least I have an excuse.
    Last edited by Jerry Forrester; 12-11-2017, 04:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    OK, I get it, that was just a personal message that should have been in a PM.

Leave a comment:

• Hawklover
    replied
    Rich, Sal and I are from the same 'hood in Brooklyn, NY........populated with a majority of Italians.....and utilizing slang, we used in our youth brings warm memories and smiles, but yes I have to say you make a honest point.
    "cugine", "scarole", "Ciao"! ???????????
    Have you forgotten that the last I checked,
    this is still the United States of America, and our Language is English!

Leave a comment:

• harry
    replied
    Originally posted by harry View Post
    Didn't the Avanti have a pull down part in the middle of the back seat?
    I'm sure the side panels in the back seat were never screwed on either.
    Yeah, leather...sure...
    On second glance I see that opening in the package tray.

Leave a comment:

• Hawklover
    replied
    Sal IMHO, those that collect cars strictly to speculate, seriously damage the hobby with escalating prices, often shutting out those who would want the same car to purchase, hold, and enjoy for a good number of years....yes I realize many variables can be in play here, but just how I personally feel.
    Originally posted by sals54 View Post
    Yeah... fraid to say, but in the current climate, this buy it now price may turn out to be a good deal for a collector speculating on the rise of Avanti prices over the last few years. This could prove to be a nice payout in just a couple of years. Some very nice examples, albeit R2s, have brought very large sale prices at auction. This one, being an R1 4 speed, is looking very much like a bargain come 2019. Besides all that, it's a gorgeous example of an R1 4speed. You would be hard pressed to buy an R1 and restore it to this level for much less than the asking price. And here, all you have to do is get in and drive. And you just might be able to drive it away for much closer to $40K.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X