Correct air cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Correct air cleaner

I have a 1955 Commander C3 with a 224 engine. Several people have told me the air cleaner is not correct for my car. I have this car over 20 years now. When I purchased the car this was the air cleaner which was on it. Can anyone tell me if this is correct. According to the production order I got from Newman and Altman years ago, this car was assembled 09-24-54 and delivered to Middletown,PA.
    Attached Files

That appears to be a conversion filter, sold to replace the original oil bath style they came with, A member with an original can post a picture for you to see the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
      That appears to be a conversion filter, sold to replace the original oil bath style they came with, A member with an original can post a picture for you to see the difference.
      1953 Commander C/K models came with either a dry or wet (oil) bath air cleaner depending on where the car was sold new.
      Wasn't that still the case for 1955 Commander C/K models?
      The pictured assembly looks okay to me, except that the element seems to be incorrect (oversize).
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

That's the same air cleaner that was on my '53 Commander when I bought it in '59. It was standard issue depending on how dusty Studebaker thought it was going, as Gary said, above.

Comment

Exactly what about it is supposed to be incorrect?

They did not ALL "come with" a Oil Bath Air Cleaner, it depends on whether or not the Car was shipped to a Dry, Dusty Area or not.

I guess you are running an aftermarket Electric Oil Pressure Gauge, instead of the Original Dash mounted real pressure, direct reading Gauge.

I can see a whole Lot more things about that Engine that are incorrect and way more obvious than the Air Cleaner.
          If it is a "Driver" and not a SDC Judged "Show Car" I don't see how it matters.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 08-11-2016, 12:41 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I'd say the air cleaner is correct, and also far easier to service than the oil bath. I've read that some early '55 air filters were painted black. We know that most '55 Commander oil bath air cleaners were painted silver. The second photo shows that dry filters may also have been silver.
            Wow Rich! Sharp eye to spot that electric oil pressure sender.

Click image for larger version

Name:	55.V8eng.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	1708306

Click image for larger version

Name:	55.silver.dry.air.filt.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	1708307
            Click on photo to enlarge
            Last edited by Dwain G.; 08-11-2016, 09:23 PM. Reason: air filter color
            So.....if I'm 'pre-approved' why do you want me to fill out an application?

Comment

Yes, StudeRich is correct. This car is a driver. I converted it to 12V years ago. I've had this car for 22 yrs. and I take it to local cruise nights and shows here in NJ. You'll also notice the engine is painted a non-Stude blue. I also installed a 12V aftermarket quad gauge. It's for a '53 Chevy truck but fits the Stude dash perfectly. I've also installed an Airtex electric fuel pump so the car doesn't vapor lock on hot days. With dual exhausts and glasspack mufflers the car really sounds cool. I've had it for sale here in NJ on Craigslist but theres not a lot of interest. I guess Studebakers are not real popular here.

Comment

Working...
              X