C Body Engine Removal Clearance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: C Body Engine Removal Clearance

I tried to post this last night but now I can't find it, so here goes again. How much disassembly is required to get the engine in and out of a C body Hawk? I know the hood comes off and all the do-dads bolted to the engine. Can the radiator support be removed or is it too integral to the front assembly of the car? Can the engine (289) and Trans (T86 O/D) be pulled together. Does the bat wing need to come out?
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

You can remove the front fenders with the core support in ONE piece, leaving nothing in your way but the suspension. Something like six bolts..
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

You can see what it takes here in my silver hawk thread. The front end comes off complete. To me the hardest part was disconnecting the vent ducts because it's hard to get up under there. If I remember correctly the bat wing has to come out. Don't forget the antenna!!

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?88034-Silver-Hawk-Major-Modifications

Page 9, if you don't have time to go page by page.....................

Make sure you "NOTE" where the fender shims/spacers go so that you can reassemble correctly!!

treblig
      Last edited by Treblig; 05-11-2016, 06:44 AM.

Comment

On my 64 GT and several other Hawks I pulled engine and Transmission with removal of the hood, radiator and radiator fan shroud. No need to remove batwing either, it does take a couple guys working together.
        It is an addiction!

Comment

I was hoping the engine and transmission would come out together without removing the entire front clip. I just got this thing put together and I hate the idea of taking all that stuff apart again.

Was it much trouble to get enough tilt for the engine to clear the bar in the radiator support? Did you use one of those engine lift levelers that allow you to change the angle of the engine?
          Wayne

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jbwhttail View Post
            On my 64 GT and several other Hawks I pulled engine and Transmission with removal of the hood, radiator and radiator fan shroud. No need to remove batwing either, it does take a couple guys working together.
            This is the right way to go. DO NOT REMOVE THE FRONT FENDERS, ETC. Remove the hood, radiator and shroud, distributor and accessories. Presto, chango engine and trans come out together. Its a little bit of a dance to hoist the engine out slowly and when the time is right, lift the tailshaft of the trans over the trans cross member. I've done it dozens of times without nary a bit of trouble.
            Oh, and don't bother with the levelers. They're a pain in the neck. Lift the engine from the rear of the engine just behind the carb area. You'll be able to shift it and tilt it enough to get around any obstructions. Good Luck.
            sals54

Comment

I agree with what sals54 just said. I have done many that way. I have even taken the engine/transmission out of and reinstalled in a Packard Hawk without removing the front sheet metal/fiberglass (other than the hood). That was difficult, due to the small opening, but possible.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If you do a search of 64 R2 GT Barn Find you will see pictures of my son and I removing the engine and Tranny together on my GT we did use an additional come along to level the engine and transmission but that was because we did not have the opportunity to lift by the rear most intake bolts. that offset the the weight and changed the center balance. You will need someone to help guide the tranny from under the car on both removal and install though.
                It is an addiction!

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I am thinking I will be the one under the car guiding the trans. Dad likes operating the lift. I just hope I can get it out and the new one back in without scratching something.
                  Wayne

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wdills View Post
                    Thanks for all the input. I am thinking I will be the one under the car guiding the trans. Dad likes operating the lift. I just hope I can get it out and the new one back in without scratching something.
                    Don't be under the car while removing the engine and trans. If that hoist fails, the inertia of that much weight could crush the life out of you. Just slide a small floor jack under there and use it to lift the tail shaft of the trans. You can even use a long rod to do the same from under the hood.
                    Good luck
                    sals54

Comment

Two friends of mine pulled the engine/transmission out of my Silver Hawk and put it back in without removing the hood. They just raised it further than the hood strut allowed and supported it with 1" X 2" wood supports. The only body parts removed were radiator, shroud, and U-shaped radiator mount. They used a common engine lift with a chain mounted on manifold bolts to get it out and a homemade bracket attached to carburetor studs to put it back in. It was tight and took some "fishing" but it's in with no body damage!

Comment

Wayne,

What happened that it has to come out...just curious? Is it an automatic? I've had my engine out about four times in 40 years and it seemed pretty easy with the hood and radiator stuff out of the way. I leave the trans and engine attached. You can do it, you'll be amazed how easy it is. Be sure the distributer is out. Whole thing out not just the cap off.

Comment

Most difficult part of R & R 'ing my '63 Hawk - Getting the engine / BW 4-spd trans back in. All the trans bottom brackets seemed to catch on something. Finally pulled the whole thing and wrapped thin sheet metal (like home air ducts) around the bottom of the T-10 to act like a guide. Was still a very tight fit but it slipped in w/ a lot of prying and leveling. Lots of work, but easier than installing the trans from under the floor.

Paul TK

Comment

This thread explains what happened to the engine. It is a T86 O/D Trans.

Yea, I have had the trans in and out a couple times from underneath. That is why I want to pull and install the engine / trans together.
                            Wayne

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X