Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bearing Insert Clearances: go with Stude Shop Manual or Bearing mfg?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Bearing Insert Clearances: go with Stude Shop Manual or Bearing mfg?

I'm preparing to reassemble my 289 V8, '57 Golden Hawk.
    All new machining, pistons, bearings, etc...
    Have new sets of Federal-Mogul "Seal Power" bearing inserts for both rods and mains.
    QUESTION: do you use the clearance specifications for assembly from the '57 Stude Shop Manual, or do you go with the Federal-Mogul specs? (assuming I can find them; have tried and anything close in search crashes my browser for some reason, but sure I can get them somewhere).
    Maybe they are even the same.
    Thinking of clearance spec using Plastigauge, as well as torque spec for Mains. My rods now have ARP bolts, so those torque specs I have per machinist's (ARP's?) instructions (50 ft-lbs, lubed).

Also, curious, researching bearing inserts on line (if you don't know, read... right?) most reference insert bearings being numbered, oil holes in only one side, etc... All kinds of distinctions. My sets are all identical; every rod bearing the same, oil holes in all of them...all appear identical. The machinist said something about biasing them forward so they were not the on the journal 'radius' too; which after seeing they all have locating tabs, now doesn't make any sense to me. Don't have any choice WHERE they go apparently, and if identical, any of them can go in any position. (yes, I know, once I've put one together and fit/measured, KEEP it in same position). I've done engines before, just not inserted engines.....
    Thanks!!!
    Barry

Hearsay info from People who work on various Makes of Engines is to be ignored, also Bearing Mfg's.

The Studebaker Shop Manual info is for YOUR Car, just use it.
    The only exception I can think of that has changed over the years is these New non-egg shaped, non "T" Slotted Pistons that are supposed to be "Hypereutectic".

These are not fitted like the Old School Factory Pistons, they require more clearance, get the Mfg's. Instructions for those.

Our "small Studebaker Vendor USA" Pistons for 289's and Avanti Engines are all this type, but not 259's.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The shell bearing manufacturer builds bearing to the engine manufacturers specifications.
      To clarify, the engine manufacturers usually get their raw engineering data from the SAE, and from the bearing manufacturers.
      So, There is a collaberation of technical data, but the engine manufacturer spec's are the ones that should be followed, as they were the ones warranting the engine.

So you should follow the Studebaker shop manual guidelines.
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Sounds good to me! I love my shop manual, and not having to deviate from it for 'newer' replacement parts...... don't know how you could possibly own (and work....) on any older car without the factory manuals anymore. I don't do any modifications (nor planning to) to the mechanicals as someday I want to simply be able to tell MY sons "just follow the shop manual, or bring it with to whoever is helping you fix "x"...". I plan for this car to long out live me, and hopefully appreciated for years to come by MY kids and grandkids, just like I've enjoyed my Dad's 'collection' (mostly original), and learned to work on them like any other farm equipment. :-)
        Thanks for confirming this 'fine point' guys!
        Barry

Comment

Working...
        X