Electric water pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Electric water pump

I see electric water pumps once only for racing are now being offered in production cars. Has anyone tried one on a 169/185 6 cyl. If so, does it cool better and how did you adapt one?

I would think with an Engine of that Low Power (H.P.), an Electric Water Pump and Fan would be a good thing.
    Never heard of one for a Stude. however.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The "easiest" way to do an electric water pump is to use one of the divorced, or stand alone pumps.
      Mount the pump, then make up your own "Y" blocks and AN lines to go to where they have to go on the engine. Doing this on the I-6 wouldn't be too difficult to do. It would take a bit more work AND expense to do it on the V-8.
      Would it be more efficient, yes, would it be worth the money and time...??? On a race only engine, I'd say yes. On a street engine, maybe not so much. But only the owner can say if it's worth the effort to him/her.

To use the pump mounted motor, it would take an impeller to fit the Stude pump housing (either the 6 or 8 cyl.) AND have the shaft diameter of an engine mounted pump. Then take a flat plate to mount the pump to the water manifold/pump housing.
      Again, worth the effort, money ?

The "stand alone" for either the 6 or 8 would be the easiest to set up. Much easier on the I-6.
      The stock pump housing idea would take "some" work. It "may" also end up being too long and end up being VERY close to the radiator...or closer..!

Looked hard into all this a few months back, even to the point of having a modern design aluminum impeller that would be more efficient thAn the Stude impeller, mounted to the Stude pump. Only had a few people interested, so the idea was dropped.

Not a big deal, one just needs some imagination to make the system "fit" his/her application.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
        Looked hard into all this a few months back, even to the point of having a modern design aluminum impeller that would be more efficient thAn the Stude impeller, mounted to the Stude pump. Only had a few people interested, so the idea was dropped.Mike
        Sorry to hear that Mike. I was thinking of that impeller idea a week or so ago. How many will it take to make it come to reality? How many "bites" did you get? Hope your collarbone injury is getting better.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
        X