Voltage Regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Voltage Regulator

I have a 1957 Silver-hawk with a 1958 289 engine in it. Battery was dead. It was 5 years old so I bought a new one. Went to hook up the ground and a big spark. I tested with a volt meter and a 12 volt short someplace. I eventually checked the voltage regulator, sanded the points and now no short. Installed the battery and it fired right up.

As this is a very old voltage regulator, I hate to trust it anymore. I have been checking the local auto parts stores and they want $80 to $90 for a new one. Is this the going price or does anyone know a better place to buy one at a cheaper price? Thanks

You do not state which generator that you want to match this regulator up with.

SI has a regulator for use with a '56-'61 V8 with Delco generator for $94. (NOS).
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I agree with Gary, an NOS Delco regulator is the way to go. I've had trouble with the recent manufacture regulators being defective or failing in short order. It sounds like the reverse current relay contacts in the regulator stuck together causing the generator to try to run like an electric motor which will flatten a battery in short order. Also once you replace the regulator, be sure the battery has a full charge and then check the output of the generator at the battery. With the generator and regulator warmed up for a few minutes by running the engine around 1500 to 1700 rpm. With the engine speed still up, check the voltage, it should be somewhere between 13.8 volts and 14.7 volts if the regulator is adjusted correctly. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
        You do not state which generator that you want to match this regulator up with.

SI has a regulator for use with a '56-'61 V8 with Delco generator for $94. (NOS).
        The generator is a Delco Remy I had rebuilt. The system is charging great. I do not know what caused the points in the voltage regulator to stick so I worry it could happen again. I do not want to ruin my $100 new battery or the generator.

If I clean the VR points good, what is the possibility of them sticking again? I can get a VR with a lifetime warranty from O'Reilly for $82.00. That is the best I can come up with. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
          I agree with Gary, an NOS Delco regulator is the way to go. I've had trouble with the recent manufacture regulators being defective or failing in short order. It sounds like the reverse current relay contacts in the regulator stuck together causing the generator to try to run like an electric motor which will flatten a battery in short order. Also once you replace the regulator, be sure the battery has a full charge and then check the output of the generator at the battery. With the generator and regulator warmed up for a few minutes by running the engine around 1500 to 1700 rpm. With the engine speed still up, check the voltage, it should be somewhere between 13.8 volts and 14.7 volts if the regulator is adjusted correctly. Bud
          Yikes, I did not know I would have to adjust a new one. I remember when I was a kid back in 1957 or so, trying to adjust the regulator and It was always a mess for me. Of course the regulators were probably bad or I would not have been messing with them.

Comment

Bud,
            What causes the reverse current relay to stick? Can this be fixed so it does not happen again?

Thanks for the help.

Comment

The relay contacts get pitted after they have been in service causing an irregular contact area with small hot spots which can weld themselves together. The reverse current cut out relay is the one that sees high current which causes the pitting from arcing as the contacts open and close. Filing or sanding the contacts will work temporarily, but is not a permanent fix. Filing the contacts also removes metal which changes the air gap of the contacts which causes an out of adjustment condition of the relay. Usually a new regulator will work without any adjustment, but I always like to check the output voltage to be sure that everything is in spec. Bud

Comment

My 50 Champion had a new regulator when I bought the car. The seller said he spent $350 on the generator and regulator. If that's true, he got ripped off. Anyway the new repro regulator wasn't working right and after the second day of owning the car, the regulator stuck. The air gaps were off, the contacts were tilted, the contacts were out of alignment, and the spring tensions were off. After I corrected all the faults the repro regulator worked great, but I wanted a better quality original regulator, so I bought one on ebay. It appeared to be a NOS Autolite with the correct number, and all I had to do was blast and repaint the cover. I checked the adjustments and installed it, and it also works fine.

You'll find an original regulator is better quality than a modern repro, and I'd keep your original if it's now working fine.

Comment

I appreciate all of the Help.. I am on a retired ( read tight) budget and was hesitant to spend $100 for a new voltage regulator. I kept searching on-line and found a NOS that I think will work. I found it at Michael Allen Obsolete Auto Parts in Paradise Valley, AZ.

The price was $24 and $6 shipping. There is a link below. If anyone thinks it will not fit please advise me ASAP. Thanks

http://www.autopartsobsolete.com/car...delco&ext=html

Comment

The previous link did not show the part. Maybe this will work.

1956 57 58 59 60 Dodge Plymouth Chrysler NEW voltage regulator delco
                    Products > Browse all parts by make of car > Chrysler & Imperial > 1955 & Later Chrysler & Imperial > 1956 57 58 59 60 Dodge Plymouth Chrysler NEW voltage regulator delco

Back to List
                    $23.99
                    SKU: z a612m
                    Shipping: 6.00
                    international: 24.00
                    Qty in Stock: 1
                    Qty:
                    Add to Cart
                    Facebook Twitter
                    Print Page
                    new old stock ac delco 12 volt 30amp neg ground fits cars with gjc,ghm,gjm generators and replaces original equipment autolite #vbo4202c,d,vrx4001a,b,60038b,6007a,6009a,b,6011b,6201a8003cx ac delco part # A-612M fits
                    1955 1956,1957,1958 chrysler 12v
                    1957,1958,1969,1960 imperial
                    1956-1957,1958 desoto all
                    1956,1957,1958 dodge all
                    1956,1957,1958 1959 1960 plymouth all
                    1955 thru 60 dodge trucks
                    1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 Studebaker and studebaker truck if autolite all
                    1958 1959 Kaiser Jeep
                    1956 Packard if autolite
                    1956 Hudson Hornet

Comment

I do not believe the regulator will work. It sounds like it is for a vehicle that has a Auto Lite Generator. Autolite generators were used on 6 cylinder Studebakers.
                      Ron

Comment

Just because the regulator was made by Delco, that doesn't mean it's correct for your generator. Like Ron says Chrysler products for the most part used Autolite electrical parts. There were some earlier Chrysler products in the 30's that used Delco electrical systems, but if I remember correctly Chrysler Corp. used Autolite parts through the 40's into the early 70's. An Autolite regulator designed for an Autolite generator may work with a Delco generator, but not without some adjusting which is tough without the correct equipment. My advice is to buy the correct Delco regulator for your generator, it will save you from a bunch of problems. Bud

Comment

Like Bud said, I think that regulator will only work with an AutoLite generator. We all use Delco as shorthand for the Delco hardware that was used as OEM in the 56-61 Stude V8s and the Commander 6 engines used in trucks beginning in about 1951. But this is misleading, since Delco was ALSO an aftermarket equipment supplier and built equipment that could be used with AutoLite and other systems. This regulator is such an item -- it will only work properly with the AutoLite hardware listed.

There were many aftermarket-only companies (Echlin, Borg-Warner, etc) that made electrical equipment for many vehicles, and magazines like Hemmings carry ads from companies that are still selling these NORS items.
                          Last edited by Skip Lackie; 10-15-2015, 05:44 AM.
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

OH NO, now I am in trouble. I do not know if I have an autolite or delco system. It is a 1957 Silver Hawk which came out of the factory as a 6 cylinder. A previous owner installed a 289 engine from a 1958 President. I have no idea what the charging system is. I would even be afraid to order a $100 one from the parts store.

How can you tell which system it is? The generator has a plate on it that says Delco Remy Model M02003 7D16. Does that identify anything?

I thought 12 volts was 12 volts rather it was from a delco or an autolite system. Obviously I am wrong. The current voltage regulator has three terminals on it. Any idea what system I may have?

Comment

Originally posted by aftontrix View Post
                              OH NO, now I am in trouble. I do not know if I have an autolite or delco system. It is a 1957 Silver Hawk which came out of the factory as a 6 cylinder. A previous owner installed a 289 engine from a 1958 President. I have no idea what the charging system is. I would even be afraid to order a $100 one from the parts store.

How can you tell which system it is? The generator has a plate on it that says Delco Remy Model M02003 7D16. Does that identify anything?

I thought 12 volts was 12 volts rather it was from a delco or an autolite system. Obviously I am wrong. The current voltage regulator has three terminals on it. Any idea what system I may have?
                              I have an original voltage regulator on my '59 Silver hawk. I just switched to a Chevy 350. The car had an original 289 engine that ran real nice and everything worked. I'm selling everything that I have left over from the motor swap. I can let you have the voltage regulator for $33 if you need it. I know for a fact that it was working normally.
                              I can post pics!!

Treblig

Comment

Working...
                              X