EPAS on Buttercup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
    A vendor at the recent Portland, OR, swap meet was selling similar, complete set ups (I'm not sure of the OE steering column he used or where he got the controller/potentiometer). I played with his set up some. One thing that is super neat is that you can dial in the amount of assist the EPAS provides...and you don't have to leave it alone if you dash mount the pot. You can dial in a lot of assist when you parallel park, and dial most out when you are on the freeway (or track).

Yeah, Dick, I bought one of those. Might use it in the Flxible coach. If it will work there, it will work anywhere. Sorry I missed you at Portland. I forgot my cell phone.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Man, wish I would've thought of this! Anxious to see more details.
      Dave Nevin
      Corvallis, OR
      1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
      Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Finished the steering column today. Shortening a tilt column is a lot harder than one might think. Been working on this all week.

A roof plumbing vent boot makes an excellent firewall/column seal.

This is all that's left of the original steering post.
        Last edited by Jerry Forrester; 12-17-2017, 11:26 AM.
        Jerry Forrester
        Forrester's Chrome
        Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Jerry Like your idea for the boot. What do they call that { thinking outside of the box}

Comment

A vendor at the recent Portland, OR, swap meet was selling similar, complete set ups (I'm not sure of the OE steering column he used or where he got the controller/potentiometer). I played with his set up some. One thing that is super neat is that you can dial in the amount of assist the EPAS provides...and you don't have to leave it alone if you dash mount the pot. You can dial in a lot of assist when you parallel park, and dial most out when you are on the freeway (or track).
            Unisteer has had kits available for some time, using an I-Did-It custom steering column, but the price is outrageous--$1600.00 with a controller. This sure looks like a more cost effective conversion. Thought about it on my Avanti but there isn't enough room for the motor under the dash and still have room for your feet, plus the various various changes needed for the pedal linkages etc., would make it an even worse nightmare. Looks like a good idea on something other than an Avanti though--

Comment

Jerry, how is the 'intermediate shaft' conneceted to the steering box? What one sees in the photo, is that an outer shell or jacket around the input shaft of the Ross box? The tilt mechanism, is that Saturn OEM, or aftermarket like Iditit? This is cool! Thanks, Junior
              sigpic
              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Well...I appreciate your "self-deprecating" claim as "shade-tree." However, I know (first hand) SHADE-TREE...this ain't it. Besides the excellent craftsmanship... I see concrete floor, walls (with electrical lines in conduit), and a roof. Holes neatly cut in sheetmetal, instead of hacked through with a mortar hatchet, and not a speck of flash rust from last night's dew.

In terms of work, craftsmanship, and creativity, my only consolation is that I used a roof vent flashing for a steering column seal about twenty years ago.

As for "shade-tree," come to my place. Of course you'll probably stumble over something or step "into" something. Of course, not many people take me up on the offer...cause they're afraid I'll ask them to "shovel" something.

Great work, (as always)
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
                  Thought about it on my Avanti but there isn't enough room for the motor under the dash and still have room for your feet, plus the various various changes needed for the pedal linkages etc., would make it an even worse nightmare.
                  There are plenty of ways to do EPS...

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...&hsimp=yhs-001

If there is not enough room under the dash, using the EPS incorporated in a rack might work...

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

There are plenty of ways to do EPS...

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...&hsimp=yhs-001

If there is not enough room under the dash, using the EPS incorporated in a rack might work...

Yes, if we didn't have Studebakers, Haven't found an acceptable rack conversion yet, either hydraulic or electric--a center steer unit like a Chrysler or GM j car is a marginal way to do it, if you don't mind losing your Ackerman. The distance at the back of the cross member between control arm mounts is so small it doesn't leave enough room to get 6 plus inches of travel, and clear the oil pan at the same time. If someone uses an electric rack with center steer I might try it. Looked into a used Ford Taurus police rack (rear steer to get the rack motion correct) and using a traveling bar, but won't fit. Oh well, just have to live with the Bendix bag of snakes for now.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                      Jerry, how is the 'intermediate shaft' conneceted to the steering box? What one sees in the photo, is that an outer shell or jacket around the input shaft of the Ross box? The tilt mechanism, is that Saturn OEM, or aftermarket like Iditit? This is cool! Thanks, Junior
                      Everything on the engine side of the firewall is Studebaker. What you see in the pic of the inside Is part of the Stude mast jacket with a steel bung and an oil lite bushing.
                      I made the coupler to go from the Stude steering post to the EPAS from the Saturn steering joint. Borgeson didn't have a coupler with the correct splines.
                      It is an aftermarket chrome steering column.
                      Last edited by Jerry Forrester; 05-29-2015, 03:54 PM. Reason: typo
                      Jerry Forrester
                      Forrester's Chrome
                      Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                        Everything on the engine side of the firewall is Studebaker. What you see in the pic of the inside Is part of the Stude mast jacket with a steel bung and an oil lite bushing.
                        I made the coupler to go from the Stude steering post to the EPAS from the Saturn steering joint. Borgeson didn't have a coupler with the correct splines.
                        It is an after market chrome steeriing column.
                        Ok I get it now...I guess this set up has the added advantage of a 'break point', while not a true collapsible shaft it is safer than a solid shaft from steering box to steering wheel. You made this look so simple...kudos. On the topic of coupler, did you use a 'double D' design instead of splines? Can't wait for feedback on how this works on the road! Cheers, Junior.
                        sigpic
                        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Stock shaft is hollow, that would prevent the use of a double D coupling---wouldn't it ?
                          How did you modify the Saturn steering joint ?
                          Is there going to be a "boot" of some sort at the stock steering box, between the box and mast jacket ?
                          South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
                            Stock shaft is hollow, that would prevent the use of a double D coupling---wouldn't it ?
                            How did you modify the Saturn steering joint ?
                            Is there going to be a "boot" of some sort at the stock steering box, between the box and mast jacket ?
                            No,everything on the engine side of the firewall is stock except the firewall boot.

Cut the joint apart and welded it back together without the cross.
                            Last edited by Jerry Forrester; 05-30-2015, 12:09 PM.
                            Jerry Forrester
                            Forrester's Chrome
                            Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                              Original steering box.
                              Donor parts from a 2002-7 Saturn Vue (also Equanox).
                              Also you have to go to EBAY and get a controller/potentiometer from a guy in Portugal.
                              I got the power unit (lower half of the steering column) from a You-Pull-it for $55.
                              The next day I realised I also needed the upper half. That cost me another $45.
                              If I had gotten it all at the same time it would probably have been $55 for everything. Live and learn.
                              The controller/potentiometer was about $75 including shipping from Portugal.
                              Jerry, found this thread awhile back and am still collecting parts. Thanks for the inspiration!! I have the Vue unit (ebay) complete with lower shaft and joints and the harness from the gentleman in Lisbon. What additional parts do I need from the Vue north of the electric unit? Outer jacket, inner shaft? I'd like to adapt the tilt column from a C4 parts car I have. I'm using the C4 front suspension and plan to couple the EPS to a manual rack.

Comment

I bought 2 kits from the guy in Portugal for my Champs. I have an extra Champ frame with the complete front end to do the setup & work out any bugs before installing them into my 61 & 62. I'll start that when I'm done with the body on my 59 Lark wagon.
                                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                                64 Zip Van
                                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                                X