fan, 6 cyl OHV engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: fan, 6 cyl OHV engine

I've done a few Stude V8s over the years, but doing a 6 cyl for the first time. Engine is a full flow 6 cyl OHV from a '64 Lark-type, putting into a '62 Champ. It appears the fan is off center from the radiator a bit- is that correct? Did Stude ever have an off-center fan shroud for the six cylinders, or were the shrouds just for the V8s? Also, can you use the viscous fan clutch on the six? I've always really liked the way they helped on my V8s, but maybe they're just not necessary on the six...

Well, Jim, unless someone jumps in and gives you answers as I am typing this...I'll make a comment. (Kinda hate to see new forum members have to wait very long for a response.) However, since I don't own a six cylinder Lark or Champ. I can't give you specific info on those vehicles. In fact, I'm probably the most UN-qualified person to give an opinion (don't seem to hinder anyone else on the forum posting opinions either.) However, for the purpose of "function," I believe asymmetrical placement of certain parts take precedent over "appearance." Also, from conversations and information gleaned on this forum, it looks like the critical thing on the OHV Studebaker six, is the tendency of the heads to either crack or blow a head gasket.

As far as the viscous fan clutch...as long as you have space...I don't see why you couldn't use one. The only reason I mentioned space, is that I have seen variations of these water pumps with different length shafts for mounting the fan. All will fit the manifold, but not all will work in all vehicles with the six cyl engines.

Good luck with your project.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I'm pretty much with Jim on value of comments, but I have a flathead six, and your comment about the engine being off center from the radiator, are you talking about vertical or horizontal planes?
      My flathead engine fan is a little "high" on my radiator, the blades cool the upper tank essentially, but I was advised that's how that configuration is.
      It would be interesting to see how a factory shroud looks on a Six. I'm told they were an option.

Comment

Yes, the fan is off center in relationship to the radiator. I was a little disappointed at that myself as I was always used to the v8's. There are fan shrouds that fit the cars with sixes. I am not well versed in Champs, although I have owned one, but the cars did have their own shroud.

You can add anything you want to your engine, after all it is your engine. All joking aside, I have heard of people doing such a swap and I even contemplated doing it myself but decided that the extra weight on the pump bearing might not be a good idea. The R series V8 engines that had them probably came with the HD pump housings. I went for stock and looked for a lighter flex fan. I never found one in time as I now am back into V8's. I know trucks came with six bladed fans, and big ones at that, so it all might not be a problem to add a viscous drive fan. If you can't find a Studebaker one that fits then this might be an option: http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/...-ThermoFan.pdf

If your engine is a genuine 64 be very careful as I believe that was a one year only for the style of pistons. Some other minor changes are also there. When it comes time for a rebuild I understand that those pistons are either nonexistent or I have only seen one set available over the years. The rings are also special. By that time I believe Studebaker had sorted out some of the problems with the cylinder head. The hose that used to run from the drivers side rear was moved forward to the center and a few other minor mods etc... Having never played with one I cannot confirm the internals or castings but if it's still going it's not broke. I have my own experience with OHV sixes, hence the name Skybolt, and would still have one today except I wanted more power in a more reliable engine. I'm not saying yours will not be, I just like to build mine as if it was the last car I have to get me from one side of the country to the other. A Stude V8 was what I went back to.

Good luck, and ask away, we are here to share.

Len

Comment

Originally posted by LeoH View Post
          I'm pretty much with Jim on value of comments, but I have a flathead six, and your comment about the engine being off center from the radiator, are you talking about vertical or horizontal planes?
          My flathead engine fan is a little "high" on my radiator, the blades cool the upper tank essentially, but I was advised that's how that configuration is.
          It would be interesting to see how a factory shroud looks on a Six. I'm told they were an option.
          On page 127 of the Chassis parts Book but it does not give a true representation, it just looks like the V8 one. Vendors have them part number 1548467P

Len

Comment

The only 6 I have is installed in the Zip Van so I'm not sure of if it represented other installations. My 59 wagon came with a flathead 6 but I removed it soon after it being unloaded so I cant say how the fan was oriented on it. I do have the 6 blade fan that it came with.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

The OHV six cylinder cars used the same viscous fan and hub part numbers as an Avanti! A smaller diameter 5 blade fan was correct for these models. This is how they would have been equipped if air conditioning had been factory fitted for a six cylinder car. I can't imagine any issues with the water pump bearing as viscous fan assemblies were also fitted to all non-Avanti powered V8 cars from about 1961 onwards while still using the standard water pump. If I was building a 1961-64 OHV six, I would certainly want to add one.

Chris.

Comment

Working...
              X