Green Engine Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Green Engine Paint

What years were Studebaker engines painted green, and is the correct color olive drab? I was told that Studebaker engines were this color because of all the Army green paint left over after the war. I don't know if that story is correct though, as I thought engines were green before the war started.

This is my 57 Commander, Detroit Diesel green DE 1618, Sku 7140891 at NAPAClick image for larger version

Name:	57 Commander engine after painting.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	1695122

Comment

IIRC, Bell Telephone green is also a close match. I always heard it was olive green to help hide oil spilled on the engine. Oil used to have that greenish tinge. Other makes like Duesenberg also had green engines.
      Last edited by Son O Lark; 01-22-2015, 08:57 AM.

Comment

I am sure Studebaker was painting their engines green well before the war. I have seen photos of engines back in the 30s painted the same green. I just read about this somewhere but am not sure where I read it. I just finished volume I of Jan Young's book "Studebaker And The Railroads" and am thinking he may have mentioned this. I'll look tonight when I get home if someone else doesn't come up with a definitive answer before that.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I think the answer you are looking for has not been stated yet, 1947 to 1954 Olive Green was used, Military Green, Packard Green, Bell Telephone Green, Studebaker Green, all the same, and available at Studebaker Vendors in Spray or brush-able Qts. or Spray Cans.

Since the poster does not have a pre-War Car we can let those that do, worry about those, I have no idea what color they were.

tim333's Detroit Diesel Green is like a Leaf Green, way to light for Olive and not Turquoise like a '56 or '57 either.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Johm Deere green in NAPA rattler matchs real well on 49 Champion.(The original Scotsman) Cheap too.

Comment

Originally posted by kxet View Post
              Johm Deere green in NAPA rattler matchs real well on 49 Champion.(The original Scotsman) Cheap too.
              John Deere Green is bright Kelly Green, not even close to Olive.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Model A Ford engine green is almost the same. I have used it to touch up spots & cannot tell the difference.

Comment

The green used on Cadillac pre-49 flathead V8s is also very similar.

And while I agree with SonOLark that Duesenberg had green engines, theirs was apple green, not olive.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Here's my engine paint. I think it looks a bit lighter than it should be. I don't want to change it, but would like to touch up the head with a good matching green.Click image for larger version

Name:	Champ1950a.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	1695123

Comment

The green was a match for old style 30 wt. engine oil.
                      I use Packard green engine paint.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

To day most paint manufacturers have their own name for their specific color. An interesting reference is PaintRef.com for paint codes and color names. It appears that Studebaker had a different name for each year with a different tint. 53 was Chippewa green, 54 Azore, 55 Saganaw, 56 Glenbrook, 58 Glen, 59 Hawaiian and 61 Jade the codes are also listed at the site. All the shades of green are very similar to the untrained eye they look all the same but they are a tint different. Very close are, Chippewa, Jade and Detroit diesel. Also 55 Buick engines were in the same shades. I don't think anybody will come to a clear determination as to the color by name only, code name and year appear to be required. Today color matching programs are only as good as the program. One manufacturers code may not match an another's. It may require some trial and error for a match.

Comment

The engines were painted green from 1928-54.

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
                            To day most paint manufacturers have their own name for their specific color. An interesting reference is PaintRef.com for paint codes and color names. It appears that Studebaker had a different name for each year with a different tint. 53 was Chippewa green, 54 Azore, 55 Saganaw, 56 Glenbrook, 58 Glen, 59 Hawaiian and 61 Jade the codes are also listed at the site. All the shades of green are very similar to the untrained eye they look all the same but they are a tint different. Very close are, Chippewa, Jade and Detroit diesel. Also 55 Buick engines were in the same shades. I don't think anybody will come to a clear determination as to the color by name only, code name and year appear to be required. Today color matching programs are only as good as the program. One manufacturers code may not match an another's. It may require some trial and error for a match.
                            These paints/colors that you are referencing are body colors, not engine color/paint.
                            I do not know how you can compare Azore Green with Jade Green, other than they are both shades of green.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                            X