64 Wagonaire Mystery Part

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 64 Wagonaire Mystery Part

Can anyone help me find the part number and/or name of the following part? It goes on the tailgate end of the sliding top rails, just as there is one similar on the front of the rails. I have looked in the parts book both under the sliding roof and the exploded body diagram but can't find anything about it. Thanks for your help! Nick
    Mystery Parts.pdf

And it's not illustration #2169-608?
    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

It goes vertical to trim out the upper rear portion of the headliner...

The 2169-608 is plastic and goes on the front of the sliding rail...

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick: thanks for making it a little clearer where the part goes. I didn't think to take any pictures before removing it. I still talk about the Wagonaire you did. The best I've ever seen. Hope to see it in person some day since it went to Houston which is just down the road from me.

Comment

Thanks, Nick. Good luck on yours.

Mine went to Houston, but the #2 bidder in Florida REALLY wanted it. I hooked him up with the #1 bidder and he may have bought it before it was even delivered. The #2 bidder had a buyer in Germany he was shopping for so it actually could be there now.
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Not much chance I'll see it if it went to Germany!

Looks like I'm not the only one who can't find a part number or name for the mystery parts!

Thanks!
            Nick

Comment

I took a quick look in the 59-64 Body Parts Catalog and couldn't find them. In fact, I couldn't find anything in that catalog on headliners...for any model.

This would be a good one for StudeRich to research for you. The part exists somewhere.
              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Am not knowledgeable of Wagonaires, but there were quite a few Stude parts and part numbers that were not described in the body parts book. I assume there were a couple of reasons: (1) There were a lot of soft and plastic parts that were not likely to wear out and were also not likely to be ordered from the parts dept, and (2) They were only intended to be stocked in the parts dept for a few years (common practice in the auto industry then), after which they'd be scrapped or sold to a surplus company like Newman & Altman. It's only because the company stopped making cars in 1966 and stopped the scrapping (they didn't need the room for new stuff) that we have so much NOS stuff available. The parts books do mention that dealers ordering special parts must have the vehicle serial number handy so the factory could look up the color combination, etc.

The company did maintain a book and card file of these special interior parts, and I got a chance to look through it during visits to Newman & Altman in the 1980s and 90s. Dave Spilski was the keeper of this book and helped me find a complete green interior for my 64 Daytona. Having a list of the part numbers I was seeking made the job a lot easier.

It's also worth noting that there were also part numbers assigned to incomplete parts, like interior door panel skins without the cardboard backing, and complete assemblies, like truck axles already fitted with all brake hardware. Stude Intl inherited all of the above stuff and the magic book, and presumably can still provide items that do not appear in the parts book.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Great info, Skip! Thanks so much for posting that. Very interesting. I guess my best bet is to email SI with the pictures and question. Lets hope the "magic book" is still available. Whatever I find out I'll post in case someone else is interested.

Thanks again!
                  Nick

Comment

The plastic 'cap' in the front is part number 1353549x1 and is long gone new. the other one is metal at the rear and does a good job hiding in books. It is in the window moulding surround section, not with the roof if I recall.

Comment

I'll do a better job of searching the window sections again tomorrow but couldn't find it tonight. You are sure right about it doing a good job of hiding in the book! Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Working...
                      X