63/64 GT Door Chevron Color Placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 63/64 GT Door Chevron Color Placement

For some reason, it is easy to find pix of the driver side of GTs on the internet, but difficult to find the passenger side. In looking at several drivers' sides they all have the door chevrons turned so that, when looking at the door from outside, red is to the left, and blue is to the right.

Looking at the one pic I found of a passenger side, it also appears red is to the left and blue to the right. But that pic is awful fuzzy.

Can anyone confirm color placement for the passenger side?

Also, just to double check, am I right about the driver's side?

Thanks

For '64. Red, white, then blue from left to right on both sides.

Comment

You are correct about the driver's side.
      Since your question states "63/64" it should be noted that the colors are in opposite directions for those two years on the passenger side (as well as chrome vs. gold frame).
      Be carefull in going by pictures of cars that have been repainted/restored. There are pictures of a well known 398 point 1964 with the passenger door chevrons on incorrectly
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
        You are correct about the driver's side.
        Since your question states "63/64" it should be noted that the colors are in opposite directions for those two years on the passenger side (as well as chrome vs. gold frame).
        Be carefull in going by pictures of cars that have been repainted/restored. There are pictures of a well known 398 point 1964 with the passenger door chevrons on incorrectly
        I think it was judged a 399 point car, and the stupid error was fixed before the judges made there rounds. I made the same error on a door panel that might have gone unnoticed

http://www.stude.com/Sid/A18.JPG.html

JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
          I think it was judged a 399 point car, and the stupid error was fixed before the judges made there rounds. I made the same error on a door panel that might have gone unnoticed

JDP, I never get tired of looking at those pictures of Sid. Just spectacular.
          Steve
          Buckeye, Arizona

1960 Hawk R2 4 speed project

Comment

Originally posted by coyote View Post
            JDP, I never get tired of looking at those pictures of Sid. Just spectacular.
            Thanks, I only hope the the PO that started the restoration before he died would be pleased with how I finished it. He started the no expense spared restoration, and I just finished it in the same way. BTW, the 399 point score would not have been possible without my forum "pit crews" detailing help at the International. The car was too clean to touch with human hands. That's why I sold the car, I knew I'd mess it up sitting in a working garage.
            JDP Maryland

Comment

Mine drives fine every day, I have tried them both ways and and cannot tell any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by GTCruiser View Post
                For '64. Red, white, then blue from left to right on both sides.
                Interesting to note on Sid's photos, that blue/white/red is the sequence on the front interior door panels.
                sigpic
                Jack, in Montana

Comment

Thanks folks. I went red-white-blue, left to right, on both sides. Near as I can tell that is correct. If not, I ain't gonna tell anyone

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                    Thanks folks. I went red-white-blue, left to right, on both sides. Near as I can tell that is correct. If not, I ain't gonna tell anyone
                    It is correct for 1964, not for 1963.
                    You gave both years in your initial question. I didn't know what year you were referring to. That is why in post #3 I stated that the two years are different.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      It is correct for 1964, not for 1963.
                      You gave both years in your initial question. I didn't know what year you were referring to. That is why in post #3 I stated that the two years are different.
                      Oops! Oh well, its a done deal. Would probably have to destroy the passenger side chevron in order to remove it and flip it over. Close enough. Anyway, its a driver

Comment

I examined photos of my '63 Hawk purchased in July of '63 and taken in '63 and '64. Both sides show red, white, blue left to right.

Comment

John, Thanks for answering my emails and PM's and for ALL of the 'help' locating the source for the GT Hawk seatcovers (the company who used my old covers as a pattern for their DeLuxe '63 GT Hawk covers) that you used to sell.

Comment

Now I am not sure. I do know that 1963 and 1964 are different (my main point). I just do not remember which way is correct for which year. There are so many incorrect ones. I even know of an International winning 1962 Hawk with door chevrons when it should have none. The owner told me that I was the only one that noticed, or at least commented on them.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                            X