Homemade Drum Hub Puller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Homemade Drum Hub Puller

I spent about 8 hours in my buddies machine shop attempting to build a drum/hub puller with success plus running around town trying to find a grade 8 or better bolt to use. I have never used a lathe or a milling machine before, both really cool machines to try out and experiment with. I used a old hub. Used the lathe to true up the hub and then cut back the outside of the hub to recess the centre to get enough threads to attach it to the drum. Swedged the 5 holes of the hub to allow the puller to seat on the drum a little closer to the drum. Here's what I came up with, and have to say I have never had an easier time removing a hub. I can now move forward to install the Dana 44 and get rid of the Dana 27.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130604_145009[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	1738875 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130605_223237[1].jpg
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	1738878 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130605_223513[1].jpg
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1738876 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130605_223352[1].jpg
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1738877

Allen
    Last edited by studebaker-R2-4-me; 06-06-2013, 04:39 AM.
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

That's pretty slick. Great work!
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Isn't it amazing what owing a Studebaker leads one to? Keep up the good work!

Comment

Nice one. My father was a firm believer in the "right tool for the job" approach. And man was he ever right

Comment

Good work. I have one of those high quality "Three-legged" pullers made specifically for the purpose. Although mine works as it should, it can be a pain if the legs are not evenly adjusted.

With the one you have made...there should be no excuse for not being able to apply even pressure. Great work!
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Good job.

I generally like to put a few washers or protector with a center hole to receive the puller screw "point" between the end of the shaft and the puller screw to avoid buggering up the parts center hole.
            Looking for OTC, (6) Protectors, Shaft Protector Set? Find it at Grainger.comĀ®. With over one million products and 24/7 customer service we have supplies and solutions for every industry.

Sometimes that center hole (which was an original machining reference datum) is useful for checking shaft striaghtness or re-working the shaft.

Comment

Great work! This type puller is a joy to use and works like a charm. I have to admit sweating a bit at the thought of stripping a stud, but that wasn't an issue.

Lacking skills and equipment to make my own, I bought this one at StudebakerParts.com for under $80 IIRC.
              The quality is superb and the bolt pattern works for both cars and trucks.

Last edited by Andy R.; 06-06-2013, 10:21 AM. Reason: image post
              Andy
              62 GT

Comment

Think your hub was on tight? Here is a picture of the rig I made up to pull my 1928 Studebaker Commander Wood Spoke wheel and drum with. The 2-13/16" OD hub required a custom threaded clamping tool with a large 1/4" steel plate behind it to pull with and not stress the wood spokes. It did take a little acetylene heat on the hub to break the bond with the taper axle end.
                Stude8

GBHubPullerSetupC.jpg (80.1 KB)
                Attached Files

Comment

I got a "home made" puller in a car I bought years ago. Its made from high quality stainless and has a "cap" that threads onto the axle in place of the castle nut. Then the puller is bolted onto the studs and the center bolt rides on the "cap" so as to save the axle from damage. Its beautifully made. And its really shiny.
                  sals54

Comment

Nice job on the tool,but I'm wondering why you need to pull the hubs if you're changing from a 27 to a 44?
                    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Originally posted by 52hawk View Post
                      Nice job on the tool,but I'm wondering why you need to pull the hubs if you're changing from a 27 to a 44?
                      I had wanted to install some 1965 flanged axles into a 1963 Dana 44 only to discover they would not fit due to a different spline number. I had previously pressed the hubs out of some finned drums for the flanged axles leaving me with no drums. Hence I pulled the drums/hub off the Dana 27 to use on the Dana 44 with the stock tapered axles.

Allen
                      1964 GT Hawk
                      PSMCDR 2014
                      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                      PSMCDR 2013
                      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Working...
                      X