Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buick (GM) front spring installation on Sat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Buick (GM) front spring installation on Sat.

I'm set to install the later model GM rear springs in the front of my 62' Lark V8 tomorrow. I've always installed NOS Stude springs with the bottom coil ends facing the engine. Same with the GM's ?? Haven't even opened the box yet, but know to expect a conical coil top....

No conical top. Looks the same from either end, except the coils with the rubber protector/sleeves go up.

Comment

ok...just opened the box.....I guess my last question is do I rotate the bottom of the spring so that the end faces in towards the engine....and does anybody know why ?

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
        ok...just opened the box.....I guess my last question is do I rotate the bottom of the spring so that the end faces in towards the engine....and does anybody know why ?
        I have always installed them that way b/c that's how the Shop Manual says to do it, and it is easily accomplished.

Comment

Joe, the protector/sleeves side up into the pocket? I am doing this install as well and just want to double check.

Bill
          Bill Foy
          1000 Islands, Ontario
          1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Billy View Post
            Joe, the protector/sleeves side up into the pocket? I am doing this install as well and just want to double check.

Bill
            By protector/sleeves, I was referring to the the rubber wound around the upper coils. The springs install exactly same way as OEM ones. I'd also install the upper and lower rubber cushions, to avoid squeak. If you don't have them, they're easy to fabricate, i.e. split a piece of rubber hose and slip it over the upper & lower coil, and hold in place with 2 or 3 nylon tie-ties.

Comment

Working...
            X