dual exhaust fitment on 58 Packard Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust: dual exhaust fitment on 58 Packard Hawk

We purchased a set of dual exhaust from Don for the 58 Packard Hawk and I am struggling trying to get the rear pipe that attaches to the muffler to fit properly. I have it running on the outside of the shock between it and the tire. When I try to move it up into position where I think it is made to fit, it leaves the tail way too low. I talked to Don this week end but can't get a hold of him now and he doesn't have e-mail. does anyone have measurements or pictures that might help?
    Attached Files
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Regardless of anything else, Kerry, the tail pipe should run on the other side of the shock absorber, not between the shock absorber and the wheel. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I'm watching with interest. I bought th "other side" from Don Simmons, too, and will be installing next month. Pictures would help, and I appreciate Mr. Palma's input, too. Good luck.
      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Bob, thanks for the reply, Don told me to run them on the outside of the shock.
        ?? I will move it inside and see what happens. --

BINGO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        I Think that has it now!!!!!!!
        Last edited by Kdancy; 03-04-2013, 11:48 AM.
        64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

Love it when things come together!

Comment

Several things look wrong:
            (1) The Tailpipe goes inboard of the shock.

(2) The Tailpipe routes between the Gas tank and the spring, from the pic angle it looks like it would not fit meaning the wrong gas tank.

(3) The head pipe should come STRAIGHT down from the manifold, it's tipped outboard so it does not fit in the center of the crossmember "dip-up".

I have never tried Don's pipes but if they fit exactly like the original factory pipes, they would be the FIRST repros in History to do so.
            It makes me wonder if the people that say they "fit fine" ever saw an original exhaust system.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              Several things look wrong:
              (1) The Tailpipe goes inboard of the shock.

(2) The Tailpipe routes between the Gas tank and the spring, from the pic angle it looks like it would not fit meaning the wrong gas tank.

(3) The head pipe should come STRAIGHT down from the manifold, it's tipped outboard so it does not fit in the center of the crossmember "dip-up".

I have never tried Don's pipes but if they fit exactly like the original factory pipes, they would be the FIRST repros in History to do so.
              It makes me wonder if the people that say they "fit fine" ever saw an original exhaust system.
              New pictures with pipe running inboard of shock- Not tightened yet.
              The pipe is pretty much in the center of the "flip up" of the cross member and the end kicks up where it should. I will leave the tailpipe loose until I hang the bumper for fitment.
              Thanks!!
              Attached Files
              64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

Lookin' good! Can't wait to get mine in and lose that cross over pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
                  Lookin' good! Can't wait to get mine in and lose that cross over pipe.
                  Not quite so fast!
                  I spent most of the day yesterday fiddling with the drivers side exhaust and finally got it alright back to the muffler. However, just can not get the tail pipe to look close to the other side one and have decided to cut and splice to
                  make it travel the way it should. I left Don a message but no reply.
                  64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

Hmmm. It'll be another month B4 I try mine. I bought the single system from Don 4 years ago and the other side last fall. Hope they line up.

Comment

For pipe adjustments I preload the pipe where I'd like it to be ( or closer to where I'd like it to be) then use an oxy acetylene torch to heat a 2 inch X 2 inch section of a pipe red. Sometimes heating just the inside half of my intended bend is enough. Often have to do in and out. If clearance is tight then the accessible side gets heated. I generally slide some sheet steel behind the pipe where I'm working to protect the car or components. if you don't have an OA torch a Mapp gas torch might work, although the "new" Mapp gas seems a weak cousin compared to my recollection of the original stuff.

If you are uncomfortable with fire, cutting the pipe in a strategic straight section and adding a larger pipe to form a clamped slip connection adds a few degrees of adjustable wiggle.

I have not had much luck "adjusting" exhaust pipes using the same techniques that work so well on thicker steel.
                      http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/co...ntraction.html
                      http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/bridge/steel/02.cfm
                      Last edited by Dan Timberlake; 03-06-2013, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kdancy View Post
                        Not quite so fast!
                        I spent most of the day yesterday fiddling with the drivers side exhaust and finally got it alright back to the muffler. However, just can not get the tail pipe to look close to the other side one and have decided to cut and splice to
                        make it travel the way it should. I left Don a message but no reply.
                        In your Post #7, pic. #3 shows incorrect tailpipe attaching hardware. IF ...the correct hardware (the parts Studebaker designed to fit that specific location) were used, you can pretty much move the end where you want it to be ...then tighten the clamp and it should stay right in that position.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Welcome View Post
                          In your Post #7, pic. #3 shows incorrect tailpipe attaching hardware. IF ...the correct hardware (the parts Studebaker designed to fit that specific location) were used, you can pretty much move the end where you want it to be ...then tighten the clamp and it should stay right in that position.

GOOD LUCK!!!
                          I will cut the rubber portion of the hanger to achieve desired location. Those are what comes with the kit.
                          64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

Good info Dan!
                            64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

I like exhausts that are tucked out of the way.

Former SCCA GT1 champ Doug Bethke came from massachusetts, and had some work done at a machine shop where I worked. He drove a stock appearing Mustang convertible on the street (if you could overlook the lowness and wide tires). I think it was actually his track car before pursuing the championship. He had fit a dual 3 inch system under there, over the axle and exiting at the rear. I'm sure he had to modify the floor pans and whatever, but still most impressive, to me at least.

Comment

Working...
                              X