Hawk Vent Window Rubber Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Hawk Vent Window Rubber Replacement

I'm getting ready to replace the rubber seal around the vent windows in the 62 Hawk. I have never replaced them on a Hawk and the last time I did replace vent window rubber was on a 1950 Champion over 30 years ago!!

Do I need to remove the vent window. How does the rubber fit into the window... does it glue in or "snap" in?
    Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

Originally posted by mjeansonne View Post
    I'm getting ready to replace the rubber seal around the vent windows in the 62 Hawk. I have never replaced them on a Hawk and the last time I did replace vent window rubber was on a 1950 Champion over 30 years ago!!

Do I need to remove the vent window. How does the rubber fit into the window... does it glue in or "snap" in?
    I have replaced several vent window rubbers, they are no fun. All of the ones I have done have a portion that is held in with rivets (the no fun part) the restof the rubber is a pressure fit (snaps in). Vent window is always taken out of door and glass out of frame. When returning vent window to door, be sure to adjust friction mechanism that holds the window open against the force of the wind. Ken, Deltaville, Va

Comment

They push in on Hawks. You will have sore thumbs by the time your done. I recall using a big dull screw driver to tuck in the rubber into the clip and moving slowly down the rail. I also had trouble around the vent closure at the bottom.

Allen
      1964 GT Hawk
      PSMCDR 2014
      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
      PSMCDR 2013
      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Just finished vent window rubber on my Avanti. A little liquid soap sprayed on or in the rubbers
        groove made it easier. Still no fun !
        ....Dick
        The 1950 Champion Starlight
        Santa Barbara
        CA

Comment

I use the soapy water trick too, in order to slip the rubber into place.

Please don't tell anyone, but if you use a razor and slice the bottom pivot pin hole on the inside, you can slip it around the lower pin, and therefore avoid having to remove the vent window. Once everything is in place, no one will ever notice if you don't tell them

Comment

Hi, not to hijack the thread, but I was going to post a new one and there is good info in here for some future person with the same issues in general, so decided to 'reply' instead of post new;
            MY question is about those rivets along the one straight section of the vent window frame, mentioned above.
            My assumption upon breaking out the chunks of old brittle rubber here was to simply wire-brush that strip and rivet heads clean, and install the new rubber OVER THE TOP OF THE RIVET HEADS (they are small, low-profile and smooth), and use 3M Weatherstripping sealant along the strip. Actually, figured I'd use weatherstripping sealant around ALL the rubber as I installed it (or that my neighbor will, as he owns an automotive glass shop and was going to replace all my glass and weatherstripping (that I'm providing) for me......
            Is there any reason to NOT just leave that riveted strip of steel alone and go over the top? Or at worst, grind off those little rivet heads carefully and remove them and the strip, if the repro rubber will be too tight going 'on top' of that strip/rivets?
            Oh, my car is a '57 Golden Hawk, so K-body, just in case that makes a difference in the answer.....

Thanks!

Comment

Replaced L & R vent seals - Lots of work, w/ the right vent seal never fitting properly (it even looked diff. compared to a mirror image of the left one). Took lots of tiny slices (w/ a very sharp blade) to allow it to seat into the channel. Unfortunately, there is only one source for these (other dealers get the same part).
              Keep working on it, very slowly and w/ great patience and you will get a usable installation.
              Be careful when closing the vent - Press along the windows frame edges where it enters the seal as you close the vent. Otherwise, the frame/glass is liable to deflect, cracking the glass (from experience).
              Paul TK

Comment

Working...
              X